IGNORED

WPIX? Voice controlled Intellivision game?

catsfolly

It wasn't just WPIX that switched over, it was the TV POWW service (which was local branded in New York due to WPIX airing it as TV PIXX), started as a Fairchild service, only once Fairchild discontinued the service, did TV POWW switch over to using the INTV (and Sharp Shot developed as a result)

and a little more about the Sharp Shot games being used for TV POWW (PIXX in NYC)... The versions used on Air were single player versions with a 30 second (and not a 1 minute) clock. The multiplayer games (Space and Maze) were reduced to a single player variety with the player's controller was moved to the middle of the screen instead of left/right orientation.

I used to run home from school every afternoon to catch PIXX just before the wackey racers/stop the pigeon then later it was deputy dawg.

I had an intellivision very early on, so I loved seeing space battle on tv. Wish they had a version of this on sharp shot as the 1 player mode.

I also remember the football very similar to sharp shot.

Also, they played soccer, pixx to pass and then pixx to shoot.

They may have had another one? but that was a couple of years ago.....

In the late 90's a local BOSTON MA channel did TV-POWW , Got me back in to intellivision.

Actually "yelling Pixx" is how they interacted back then, but the games were way more compressed into something usuable for TV broadcast during the time era.

The current "TV-Pixx" redo is only due to WPIX wanting to relive it's past, consulting with Robinson of the Blue Sky Rangers to provide them an Intellivision with one of the most "readily recognizable" games from the era.

The aspect ratio is due to the network wanting to broadcast in HD, when no classic game or system was built with anyone eve remotely thinking about "HD"...

Actually "yelling Pixx" is how they interacted back then, but the games were way more compressed into something usuable for TV broadcast during the time era.

The current "TV-Pixx" redo is only due to WPIX wanting to relive it's past, consulting with Robinson of the Blue Sky Rangers to provide them an Intellivision with one of the most "readily recognizable" games from the era.

The aspect ratio is due to the network wanting to broadcast in HD, when no classic game or system was built with anyone eve remotely thinking about "HD"...

Yelling Pixx used to do something. It didn't in this segment. It was literally a guy playing Astrosmash while a lady uselessly yelled Pixx. Furthermore, I have NEVER owned an HDTV that didn't give me the option to set the aspect ratio correctly for older systems. it's pure laziness or ignorance on the part of the producers.

Oh and for the record it didn;t actually do anything worthwhile back then either, due to the delay in broadcast time.

Edited by townparkradio

The reason for that is that the yelling of PIXX or POWW didnt do anything either... It was just the way they wanted the "player" to interact with the game, with a player sitting in studio to press the action button when they heard the phone contestant say/yell PIXX/POWW. The actual yelling did nothing more than to signal a human at the studio to press the button.