IGNORED

Exhibit at Austin Mini Maker Faire

bcombee

I just got my acceptance to do a small booth showing off Atari 2600 homebrew programming at the one-day Austin Mini Maker Faire on May 12th. I did a little of this a couple of years ago at the NY Maker Faire as part of the NYC Resistor booth, but this year I'm on my own.

My plan is to have a couple of Atari 2600's setup with monitors and a laptop running Harmony carts. I'll have Batari Basic running there with a mini-USB cable to reload the demo code onto the real device and the emulator running. I'm going to modify my NYCR demo into something Austin specific and try to also do some LED control directly off the second joystick port to show interfacing with hardware projects.

I'm also thinking of printing up a few posters showing the Atari 2600 memory map, 6502 assembly, and how the video signal determine what's on your screen. I'll also have a display case with several of the homebrew carts I've bought over the years and some flyers to point people to AtariAge and various tools.

Any other ideas?

Hey Ben, long time no see. I'm planning to take the rail down there, now that they're running that thing on Saturdays. Even if they only stop at Lakeline (where I'm getting on) and the final downtown stop, that happens to be just right for where it's going to be this year.

You really should put my Red Box demo in the pile of stuff you're showing off. It's small and maker-y.

http://xi6.com/projects/

http://xi6.com/files...tone-dialer.zip

http://www.atariage....showtopic=51163

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got back from the Austin Maker Faire. The 2600 exhibit was very well received, with a lot of interest from pre-teen boys and their dads mostly. Of all the homebrew carts I showed off, Gunfight and Medieval Madness were the favorites due to their multiplayer nature. Juno First was also well received, and Duck Attack and Cave In got a bit of play. My Chumby-powered emulator box was a hit, and people really liked the Harmony cart I expect Fred will get a couple of sales out of the event. I printed out Spiceware's slides and had several people read all the way through them.

Special thanks to Bruce Tomlin who showed up and hung out most of the day. He got to show off his Blue/Red Box carts a few times too.

• Like 1