IGNORED

What can I use to write out an ST image to disk?

I need to write an ST disk image out to floppy to work on my 520ST.

I do not have a Windows or DOS PC with a 3.5-inch floppy drive.

Machines that do have 3.5-inch floppies in this room:

• Several Amigas (networked)
  • NeXTstation Turbo (networked)
  • Mac Plus (networked)
  • Apple Lisa 2
  • Apple IIgs (networked)
  • Apple IIe

Is there any way I can write out a SS or DS ST floppy with these units?

I will order a KryoFlux one day, it could handle this. Yea, I may add an HxC2001 to the ST one day -- my Amiga 2000 has one.

Thanks.

bp

There should be some SW for MAC what can do it.

Most important is to be aware that ST format is same as some others, like DSK . In fact, it is just content of all sectors in order. No any header.

So, you may need just to rename ST to some other extension, and may be that SW can deal with it.

There are sites where can gain more info about all this - formats, SW for platforms. Google in hands ! :)

If you have Kickstart v2 and higher in your Amiga 2000 then you can format DD 720K disks and copy files that way.

The WB ver 2 and higher have CrossDos sw which lets you use DD disks from PC.

Another idea, that I did not try, is to use PC emulator on Amiga and yous a PC DOS program to write the floppies. (I need to try this one day)

I've been reading up about the kryoflux and ipf format. does anyone know where to get disc images for the ST in IPF format?? seems like it will be a while before we get there and meanwhile i do not theink the kryoflux will write from the STX disc image format, which sucks

OK, I was doing some tests and I have some nice results so far.

Looks like you can use an Amiga with Workbench 2.1 and higher and PCTask emulator to write Atari ST floppies.

I'm using A1200 with WB3.1 and 64MB RAM (it should not matter to have that much, but you do need some fast ram), PCTask v4 and DOS program STDISK.EXE

You need a DOS boot disk on 720KB floppy and a PC hardfile with DOS on it. There is a software on Amiga that lets you write files from Amiga side to the Hardfile, this is the way I was able to put the Atari ST disk images onto virtual C drive.

As a test I wrote a 720k ST image and I was able to read it on Atari ST.

Personally, I use FloppyImg. Unfortunately it is a Windows program. TBH if you're going to use a non-ST system for creating ST disks on a regular basis then you would be far better off biting the bullet and spending 10 minutes fitting a drive into a windows PC. Then just get FloppyImg and away you go.