IGNORED

FINALLY! An Atari "Icons" episode on G4 tv!

NE146

I just caught the tail end of the new episode of "Icons" (Basically just think of it as a VH1 "Behind the music" except this time it's about videogames). And finally they did an episode about Atari! To quote their summary from their page:

We kick off our new season with the real story behind the world's first truly great videogame company: Atari. Find out just how wild they got, what happened to bring it all down, and what the future holds for them.

Here's the page for that episode.. and check it out, they even link to Atariage on the bottom so maybe they mention the site during the episode :? http://www.g4tv.com/html/showinfo.asp?episode_key=549

I only caught the last 5 minutes (so I don't know how good it is, or if they mentioned Atariage :P) but according to the page above the next airtime is tomorrow at Mon. 1/20 8:30 AM Pacific. And of course, they'll repeat it constantly throughout the year which is a good thing.

Those of you with G4, check it out! :D Those without.. sorry ;) Maybe someone will rip it and post it online... But if the starcades are any indication.. expect a filesize of 130megs :|

Wow... they put the Atari Age link above the official Atari site. (Of course, AA has a lot more to do with what the world knows as "Atari" than the current company using that name does!)

What's the deal with that Combat arcade machine they're showing? I was not aware of any type of Combat arcade game existing, and judging by that gun on the unit, I would suspect it's unrelated. Also, the cabinet art would put it at, I'm guessing, mid- to late-'80s at earliest.

2600 Combat was, of course, based on Atari's '70s arcade game Tank, right?

So what's the deal... did G4 just screw up on their site with this Combat arcade machine?

is it mainly the west coast that has G4?

just curious

I think it's easy to get everywhere with the Dish network or whatever the satellite network is called now. It's also on a lot of the new digital cable 500+ channels now, so I don't think it's too regional.

Of course, I don't have cable now so I just get episodes of Starcade and Icons off of usenet and watch at my leisure :D

Feh. I was just looking at G4's program lineup last night on my cable company supplied PVR, and saw a couple of Icons episodes but all G4 shows have the generic description "Computers" and I don't have the hard disk space to just record all of them.

And I can only program the thing six days into the future, so now I have to remember on the 24th to set it up to record the Atari episode on the 30th. :P No Nolan or Activision episodes on the schedule till at least the first week of February....

Rob

Just a note about the Icons episodes done:

The new one ep 201 (first episode of 'second year' in tv jargon) "Atari" is absolutely fabulous. it shows off the first episode where they got to put the CGE 'data/interview goldmine' to good use, with interviews with H.S. Warshaw, David Crane, Al Alcorn, among others, plus shots from the 'museum'.

ep 105, Activision, is extremely poor. They barely gloss over the formation/early days, and the only activision people that even talk on screen are 'Bobby Kotick-era' (including B.K.) execs & marketing types. They spend more time on tony hawk than all of the atari activision games and programmers combined.

ep 102, Nolan Bushnell was really good, and ep 103 Pac-Man was also extremely good., ep 106 Shigeru MIyamoto was pretty good too.

Other 'good' eps that might be of some interest to some here, 109 Will Wright (SimCity creator) was good, Sid Meier's was a tad dull but interesting.

i don't have PVR, but i have all the icons eps on tape, and could perhaps capture some of them to divx if there's some interest.

gavv

I think there is sufficient interest.. rip that puppy! :)

Incidentally I do have the Icons episode 103 "Pacman" episode in AVI format (snagged from Usenet). It's about 130 megs and you're right, it's one of the best episodes. :)

I'll give a try at capturing the Bushnell episode as a tryout. One little reason why the Bushnell and Pac-man episodes are repeated less often than other episodes, is that they (G4) had to pay NBC like $1000 per running second for the archival news footage that was used from the time (example that reporter saying 'it was inevitable when the television married the computer' etc), and they have to pay for every time it's aired.

(at least that's what T-dub told me herself ^^)

gavv

Incidentally I do have the Icons episode 103 "Pacman" episode in AVI format (snagged from Usenet). It's about 130 megs and you're right, it's one of the best episodes. :)

Which newsgroup did you get it from? Was it alt.binaries.vcd? Could you upload it again? I'd love to see it.

BTW, did you get my upload of the Joe Decuir speech from CGE2K1 from usenet too? I lost mine to a hard drive crash and it would be great if you could upload it if you have it ;)

I'll give a try at capturing the Bushnell episode as a tryout.  gavv

If you do give this a try, I'd vote for going as high quality as you can get it. If you can rip to VCD ready format, even better! File size is not really a concern (on this end anyway!). :D

well, this one would be doubtful in terms of getting superbly high quality as it would be coming from a 6hr mode VHS tape ^^

gavv

Which newsgroup did you get it from? Was it alt.binaries.vcd? Could you upload it again? I'd love to see it.

BTW, did you get my upload of the Joe Decuir speech from CGE2K1 from usenet too? I lost mine to a hard drive crash and it would be great if you could upload it if you have it ;)

I've found a lot of G4 stuff (Icons + Starcade episodes) mainly on alt.binaries.emulators.misc

I usually watch them but don't keep them, my hard drive is full of so much junk that I have to spring clean every month.

Yes I got them off alt.binaries.emulators.misc

I can probably set up a temporary FTP site tonight for Atariage users who want to get the Icons-Pacman episode. I can probably allow only one login at a time, but that way eventually everyone interested here can have it (I'll leave it up as long as it takes). Anyone who wants it prvt message me and I'll send you the info.

(please only respond if you're familiar with how to use an ftp client, I can't tutor everyone.. which is what happened the last time I tried to pull this off)

You're going to laugh but I have YET to catch this damn episode on TV. So I haven't even watched it yet. :roll:

First they said it was on at 8:30 am last Thursday. I set my VCR, but the episode wasn't it. THEN they said it would air on 5:00pm Sunday. Well I was all set.. but then the SUPERBOWL distracted me and I remembered at 5:45.. DOH!!!

Now their site says the next episode is on tomorrow at 8:30 am. I've got my VCR set.. so we'll see :P