IGNORED

Intellivision Colour Manuals

cmart604

I've been meaning to post pics of these for a while now, just been too busy with real life. :(

When Mattel first started releasing games they definitely did them up right, including with full multi-colour manuals. Ten games got the full colour manual treatment before the cost cutting began. They were: Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack, Las Vegas Roulette, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, Major League Baseball, Space Battle, Armor Battle, Math Fun, APBA Backgammon and Checkers. If I remember correctly, NHL Hockey was the 11th game released at the same time, not sure why it didn't warrant a full colour manual, maybe they thought all of us Canadians were colour blind and wouldn't know the difference. :-D

I really like these and wish that they had continued producing these in full colour. I think it makes a good and somewhat challenging collecting subset, particularly if you get them all in the "Made in the US" boxes, with the Keyboard Component reference in the text at the bottom of the front cover as those were the original release versions. Enjoy. I plan on posting more subset collections going forward as I finally get around to posting the full CMart collection pics.

PS. If anyone's interested in starting to collect these, I might have a couple extras lying around.

post-25458-0-60322300-1332721466_thumb.jpg

post-25458-0-95653200-1332721491_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I don't want make this into a huge variant discussion but after seeing this I had to look at my collection as I love the color manuals as well.

I did notice that my red Space Battle references the Keyboard Component but was made in Hong Kong.. Interesting .... :ponder:

I definitely want to get all of the US made versions for sure :grin:

I don't want make this into a huge variant discussion but after seeing this I had to look at my collection as I love the color manuals as well.

I did notice that my red Space Battle references the Keyboard Component but was made in Hong Kong.. Interesting .... :ponder:

I definitely want to get all of the US made versions for sure :grin:

No worries, that's the point of this, I do want variant discussions! :-D (Wait until later today and we should have a real good reason to discuss box variations. ;) ) We're both right, there is a red US Keyboard Component version and a red Hong Kong Keyboard Component version as well. I have six of the Hong Kong one and only 1 of the US one, so it appears that the US one is the harder one to find. When I was recently sorting and organizing my INTV stuff, including my original 125, I noticed that I was missing 4 or 5 of the original US Keyboard Component boxes which I consider to be the "true" (earliest) versions of the box and are the ones I want on my shelves as my original 125. I'm still working on finishing those.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've come across these before, but didn't think much of it. Now it all makes sense :-) So I looked through my collection and found the following (all USA CIB w/ Keyboard Component reference and Full color manuals):

Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, Major League Baseball, Space Battle, and APBA Backgammon. I guess I need the last four :-) This is why I joined AtariAge. I'm always looking for ways to fine tune the collection. Thanks, CMart! Looking forward to more collection subsets.

I've come across these before, but didn't think much of it. Now it all makes sense :-) So I looked through my collection and found the following (all USA CIB w/ Keyboard Component reference and Full color manuals):

Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack, NFL Football, NBA Basketball, Major League Baseball, Space Battle, and APBA Backgammon. I guess I need the last four :-) This is why I joined AtariAge. I'm always looking for ways to fine tune the collection. Thanks, CMart! Looking forward to more collection subsets.

Jason, I'm not at home at the moment but I can check when I get home if I have any you need. Let me know if you're interested.

• 6 months later...

Moohoohaa!!! I might be able to give you a boost ;) Although.......They're not terribly hard to find and I had a lot of fun hunting these down. Maybe I'll let you get a head start and I can help you fill in the gaps. Color manuals are pretty!

This is your fault! :)

• 1 year later...

Mmmmm....I'm gonna work on some pics tonight :pirate:

Let's play "Does it exist".....Can anyone confirm the existence of a USA PGA Golf with the orig box referencing the keyboard component on the front. I have the Hong Kong version, but can't confirm the USA one. My USA PGA Golf is the newer box.

Keyboard Component Reference:

Enclosed cartridge for use with INTELLIVISION Master

Component (available now) alone, or with Master Component

and Keyboard Component (coming soon) in Combination

Newer Box Statement:

Enclosed cartridge for use with

INTELLIVISION master Component.

FOR COLOR TV VIEWING ONLY.

I'll answer my own question....intvfunhouse to the rescue!

http://www.intvfunhouse.com/mattel/box/pga-000.jpg

Also, I have a scan coming for a PGA Golf box variant that you (Steve) don't have listed on the site. (Is that 3 items I'm sending scans for now?)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV

So, any box with the component coming soon, that is made in USA is a original release? Does it matter about a color manual or not?

Here's where it gets complicated. There are Hong Kong releases that use the older version of the box (referencing the Keyboard Component), but they don't have the color manuals. As far as "originals" it's hard to say if these came out at the same time as the USA ones or slightly after. They couldn't have been released too much later or they would probably have used a newer box that didn't reference the KC. All of the Full Color Manuals were made in the USA and reference USA origin at the bottom of the manual and came in older USA boxes referencing the KC. I'm not sure, however, if any older USA boxes of the 10 original games ever came without a full color manual...possibly after they ran out of manuals, but before they ran out of the boxes. This would be good to know, since I have a mint USA Checkers with the KC reference that is still factory sealed. I see plenty of USA boxes referencing the KC that don't have the full color manual, but it might just be that someone mixed it up or swapped it out. One more thing...at least 19 games that I have identified came in boxes referencing the KC....probably the first 19.

tl;dr No full color manuals in Hong Kong boxes, but there are Hong Kong KC boxes. All full color manuals were USA, but there might be USA KC boxes sold without full color manuals. The were 9+ more KC referencing boxes after the first 10. Jason wants to open Checkers, but never will :grin:

Here's where it gets complicated. There are Hong Kong releases that use the older version of the box (referencing the Keyboard Component), but they don't have the color manuals. As far as "originals" it's hard to say if these came out at the same time as the USA ones or slightly after. They couldn't have been released too much later or they would probably have used a newer box that didn't reference the KC. All of the Full Color Manuals were made in the USA and reference USA origin at the bottom of the manual and came in older USA boxes referencing the KC. I'm not sure, however, if any older USA boxes of the 10 original games ever came without a full color manual...possibly after they ran out of manuals, but before they ran out of the boxes. This would be good to know, since I have a mint USA Checkers with the KC reference that is still factory sealed. I see plenty of USA boxes referencing the KC that don't have the full color manual, but it might just be that someone mixed it up or swapped it out. One more thing...at least 19 games that I have identified came in boxes referencing the KC....probably the first 19.

tl;dr No full color manuals in Hong Kong boxes, but there are Hong Kong KC boxes. All full color manuals were USA, but there might be USA KC boxes sold without full color manuals. The were 9+ more KC referencing boxes after the first 10. Jason wants to open Checkers, but never will :grin:

After reading this my head hurts but I have a need to go check all the boxes to look into this.

After realizing how confusing and wordy my above statement was, I decided to take some pics. Everyone loves pics!

Here are "the 10" with Full Color Manuals. All are USA. All boxes reference the Keyboard Component and have Serial #s on top. All have the smooth carts. 9/10 have heavy shielded PCBs (I don't think Space Battle ever came with one):

Original 10 Intellivision games with Full Color Manuals_2

Here's a pic of the 10 Full Color Manuals as well as the full color Football Playbooks:

Original 10 USA Full Color Manuals

All 10 of those games had the smooth carts lacking the "Insert to This Line" statement. NASL Soccer and NHL Hockey also originally came in these cart shells. Here's all 12:

Original 12 (no insert line) carts

Actually, I also found a Hong Kong Basketball in a smooth shell, so maybe there are more smooth Hong Kong versions out there.

In addition to the 10 games with Full Color Manuals, other early games were also released in boxes that referenced the Keyboard Component and had Serial #s on the tops. So far, I have identified 19 of these games. All 19 came in USA versions, although I have found many Hong Kong versions as well. Here's a pic of the 19 games in the early KC boxes:

Original 19 Intellivision Games

I hope this helps anyone looking to collect these specific early variants. Feel free to let me know if I made any mistakes or missed anything.

P.S. There are also unique early overlays that many of these games originally came with. They had sort of a glossy look to them. Pics for another day, though ;-)

Edited by JasonlikesINTV
  • Like 2