IGNORED

7800 Color Problems

liquid_sky

I'm having some similar problems(the colors are off) with 2 of my 2600's. Both are jr.'s. I don't know what's wrong, but like when I start Berzerk instead of the background being blue(before you hit any buttons to start the game), it will be like a purple color. So if you figure out what's wrong, I'd like to know also :D

See the red pole sticking out from the board as well as the 2 black dials in the center of the board ? Try adjusting them carefully with a tiny screwdriver while the unit is turned on. Make note of their original positions before you mess around with them !

Be careful not to short circuit anything while doing this !

7800Mod.jpg

ill drop you a pm if i decide to get rid of my backup 2600 (vader)

I have a Vader model that the colors are actually the way they're supposed to be, so I'll just use that. I would just like to be able to get my other 2600's color problems fixed. I won't have to worry about that anymore soon though because I listed the one with color problems on eBay and sold the other one with color problems to someone on this message board. In both cases I have told the people there are color problems though.

Thanks, Im going to work on it in the morning when there is better light (ok ok call me lazy but I dont feel like going to walmart and buying 3 new light bulbs for my celing fan tonight, and only 1 is still working and i dont want to do stuff like that in the dark :)

Also, how high is the risk of short circuiting the unit?

Shoot, I don't even use a screwdriver, just my fingers. :D

I just open it up, turn it on, and then fiddle with the pots until the color is right. Just a note, one of the pots is for the 7800 color and the other is for the 2600 color. The one closest to the cart slot is the 7800 one.

To get perfect color you really need the 2600 and 7800 diag carts, but you can get pretty close by just winging it.

The hardest part is getting the @#$% metal RF shield off.

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

ok, so i lied.. i was impatient and got some lights yada yada

anyway, the colors look right for some games like choplifter, but when i put pole pos back in, the title screens colors are off, but the game looks just fine..

What is the tall red thing for, all it seemed to do was increase or decrease the amount of buzz noise that was coming from my tv

(anyone know if the AA guys can repro. a testcart?)

ok, so i lied.. i was impatient and got some lights yada yada  

anyway, the colors look right for some games like choplifter, but when i put pole pos back in, the title screens colors are off, but the game looks just fine..

What is the tall red thing for, all it seemed to do was increase or decrease the amount of buzz noise that was coming from my tv

(anyone know if the AA guys can repro. a testcart?)

The tall red thing is a variable inductor used to tune the audio frequency.

If you have a little bit of soldering skills it wouldn't be too hard to build a 7800 testcart. :)

Mitch

http://atari7800.atari.org

ok.. w/ aid of testcart.. i adjusted the colors whereas there were no linews in the bar.. plug in the game i use to test the colors with (pole pos 2) and the background on the title screen is DARK BLUE now, yet the diag. cart says this is the prime setting.. am I missing something here?

Compare how the game looks to the color shade of blue im talking about.. this is just.. strange

post-181-1043436342_thumb.jpg

post-181-1043436343_thumb.jpg