IGNORED

What do I need for JiffyDOS? And what about uIEC devices?

Tupin

Okay, so I want to get JiffyDOS for my C64, but I'm not really sure what I should order. I guess this?:

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3006865758951?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=300686575895&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

I don't need anything with a 1541, I'm going to use it with a uIEC/SD device. Is that the right thing to order? I've seen people using uIEC/SD devices, and just pressing the F1 key which brings up the directory of the drive. Is it this simple?

Yep, it's that simple. Unless of course, the U4 chip on your motherboard needs to be desoldered. And you're right.... if you don't care about speeding up a 1541 drive, only order the chip needed for the C64 for use with uIEC, etc.

Only other bit of common sense advice regarding the uIEC is that you might want to change its device number back to 8. IIRC, it comes standard as 9. How to do this is mentioned either in Wikipedia or Jim Brain's docs...

OR you can order them from me and get Multi-kernel ROM adapters instead. $20 each + ship + Paypal %3.5

My adapter have Stock/JiffyDOS and an Autoboot Kernel in them. It loads the first file on disk after about 3 seconds.

JD Binary is purchased from Jim Brain.

I'm fine with soldering/desoldering, but I do have several C64s, so I guess I'll look for one that's socketed.

I would get your stuff from DMackey. I don't like supporting basicwayne. I just feel dirty. He sells bootlegged cynthcarts. The same ones that are sold here in the AA store. I know he has been asked to remove them before. He sells bootleg 5 1/4 claiming "Appears to be original but, I make no claim to that effect," knowing he makes them. The disk always look the same. Doesn't matter what game. Just an all around dirty fellow. I remember readying a lot of "bad" things about him on the lemon64 forums too.

B

Edited by bigbee99

I don't like supporting basicwayne. I just feel dirty.

I think most of the software he sells is bootleg. Except for the occasional original he re-sells from the untested/broken/for parts C64 lots he consistently outbids me on (ha!).

Has anyone tried one of basicwayne's power supplies? I would never buy anything from him, but I'm curious if they're any good or not.

I don't like supporting basicwayne. I just feel dirty.

I think most of the software he sells is bootleg. Except for the occasional original he re-sells from the untested/broken/for parts C64 lots he consistently outbids me on (ha!).

Has anyone tried one of basicwayne's power supplies? I would never buy anything from him, but I'm curious if they're any good or not.

I have not tried one but...

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33023&highlight=basicwayne

Also from the Lemon64 forums

The power supplies he sells have been questioned in the past as well on other sites. They actually opened one up and was really badly built and not even up to code.

His Jiffy DOS chips may be okay but he's just to shady for me.

B

• 2 weeks later...

I think all of this has been sorted out, but for the record:

Wait, so I need the binary separately? I can't just buy a pre-burned JiffyDOS chip?

You do not need to buy the binary separately. Daniel buys the binary from my store since he creaes his own IC, a 3 KERNAL option.

Is there a tutorial anywhere about installation? His manuals aren't really clear.

The official manuals are at http://www.go4retro.com/products/jiffydos/. If there are questions, there is a contact link on the page.

I put the chip replacement in, and it has another spot for the original chip?

No, it completely replaces the original IC.

Jim