IGNORED

Help with Sega CD

slayer123

I have a sega cd system but its non-working. There is no power and it will not turn on.

I asked one of my buddies at the local video store and he said something about a common problem with the sega cd's not turning on cause of a fuse on the board that goes bad.

I opened up the sega cd and i looked on the board but found no fuse. Plus to make matters worse, I can't find any schematics on the net that have to do with the sega cd.

If anybody knows what the fix is to this problem or possibly lead me in the right direction? Please either reply to this message or email me at benwabnick@email.com cause i would really like to repair this problem.

Ben

Did you possibly try a different power supply?

Does the genesis come on when the sega cd is attatched or does it just freeze? or continue playing a cart?

A fuse? I remember taking one apart not too long ago myself but remember no fuse. Man, those video game dealers at stores just don't know what the foo they talkinga bout ;-)

I hate when the guys say "No, you can't use utopia, you HAVE to buy my $29 boot disc to play Dreamcast Imports" bullcrap! I yet to find someone I can actually trust at a videogame store ;-)

Ohh... good luck with your Sega CD... I remember there being a specific power supply for the Sega CD so I would just make sure your using the right one too.

Clint Thompson

No, IIRC the power supply for the base and the CD unit were the same...possibly 32x as well (but I think that one was the same as well).

@slayer123

Is this the older model SegaCD (the one that fits below)? I had problems with this myself a few times until I cleaned the connecting port going to the main unit. Give that a shot as well.

No, IIRC the power supply for the base and the CD unit were the same...possibly 32x as well (but I think that one was the same as well).

@slayer123

Is this the older model SegaCD (the one that fits below)?  I had problems with this myself a few times until I cleaned the connecting port going to the main unit.  Give that a shot as well.

Sega CD uses model 1 genesis ac adaptor, 32x uses same as model 2 genesis's.

Thanks for the help guys. Here is an update.

I found a universal adaptor in my room so i hooked it up to the sega cd and BOOM it now turns on. I have the boot screen in all its glory.

Now here is where it turns bad. It won't read any cd's, music cd's or sega cd's. The access light just keeps on blinking like its trying to access the cd. Also when i push the latch on the right side the door comes up like usual and the cd is spinning so i know the machine is trying to read into it. I've tried many different cd's and none of the read. I tried these same cd's on another sega cd system that a friend has so i know there good.

I think its a laser (the eye that reads the info off of the cd's)problem so I gently cleaned it and then tried again but no luck. Looks to be a bad laser unfortunately. Anybody else with ideas by chance? Im always up for any ideas. Thanks.

Ben