IGNORED

Questions about NES rarity/pricing

candiru

I was at a Funcoland the other day and saw a Tengen Pac-Mania for $12 and Namco Ms Pac-man for $15. Even though they were both loose carts, aren't these prices sort of low for something that's supposed to be kind of rare? From the NES rarity lists I've been able to find these are both given an "A" rating.

I've looked through the AA posts and online at the various NES rarity guides but it seems like a lot of the rarer games on these lists aren't super super scarce, or don't seem to command top dollar. Is it due to them being newer and more plentiful or is just because there is less known about NES rarity?

I'm pretty new to NES collecting so it would be great if someone more familiar with rarity and pricing would chime in here.

From what I've seen it still boils down to demand and popularity. Most individuals out there seem to be more interested in acquiring Final Fantasy than they are for a Camerica cart (Evidenced by the pricing, and if I'm correct, FF is actually supposed to be a common cart with regards to distribution).

There's no telling when actual rarity might kick in as a price factor, if ever, compared to the 2600 market. Perhaps when the generation that grew up with the NES phases to the point the Atari crowd is at now. All speculation on my part. I'm just as guilty for keeping the rarities in low demand as well. :P I just collect to play, and it's nice that the good stuff mostly happens to be readily available.

yeah, mike etler's nes rarity guide is quite old and out of date but is still what most people use to guage the rarity of their games. for the most part, the rarest games on his list are correctly rated, most of the others can vary from region to region or country to country. if anything, you got a good deal. i personally payed about double what you payed for those games.

I usually keep my eye out for strange carts or carts I have never seen before and I buy them if they're cheap enough..usually at the Gamestop in my area.

I figured some of the games I got yesterday might be rare..though they were listed lower on the rarity list.

I think they need to make a comphrensive rarity guide for the NES.

digital press has a full guide section to the NES but only the lite version is available online, in other words if you wanna talk dollars you gotta buy the guide itself. their guide is based more on actual rarity than funco's and its up to date. for my part i consider funco's to be more accurate, that is to say its pretty much what you're going to pay at other used game shops and online. right now you can find 80% of all NES released games with little trouble if you keep going back to gamestop, perhaps someday when gamestop drops the NES games the prices online and elsewhere will start to reflect true rarity. nows the time to collect, you can still get lots of uncommon NES games for under $3.

digital press has a full guide section to the NES but only the lite version is available online, in other words if you wanna talk dollars you gotta buy the guide itself. their guide is based more on actual rarity than funco's and its up to date. for my part i consider funco's to be more accurate, that is to say its pretty much what you're going to pay at other used game shops and online. right now you can find 80% of all NES released games with little trouble if you keep going back to gamestop, perhaps someday when gamestop drops the NES games the prices online and elsewhere will start to reflect true rarity. nows the time to collect, you can still get lots of uncommon NES games for under $3.

Damn skippy. At times, these things can be cheaper than the Atari carts, which is why I have so got dang many of them! (Over 200 and counting.)

• 3 years later...

We do that at our store too. Although we also get a lot super common games like Super Mario 3 all the time, we also know it's going to be flying out the shelf quicker then a rarer game like Gun Nac or Power Blade for example.

More casual gamers go for the more popular well known titles while collectors like me go for the more obscure ones. :D

I was at a Funcoland the other day and saw a Tengen Pac-Mania for $12 and Namco Ms Pac-man for $15. Even though they were both loose carts, aren't these prices sort of low for something that's supposed to be kind of rare? From the NES rarity lists I've been able to find these are both given an "A" rating.

I've looked through the AA posts and online at the various NES rarity guides but it seems like a lot of the rarer games on these lists aren't super super scarce, or don't seem to command top dollar. Is it due to them being newer and more plentiful or is just because there is less known about NES rarity?

I'm pretty new to NES collecting so it would be great if someone more familiar with rarity and pricing would chime in here.

I was going to say where the hell did you find a FuncoLand that isn't a Gamestop yet and still carries NES games to boot?

Then I realized this thread is 3 and a half years old, :D LOL :D

This thread is so old I can see my embryonic screen name responding near the top :cool:

Seems like most Nintendo titles N64 an older are in a buyer's market right now.

I suspect they will always remain pretty low. I used to imagine that NES and later systems would one day have the same type of collectors market as the Atari era games do but now I'm not so sure. I've yet to see the same level of geeky interest in collecting them. Sure Nintendo images have long been a staple of Generation Y T-Shirts but I havent seen it extend to collecting in a big way. Most of the hardcore NES collectors I've met are Atari collectors who kept on going, not 20 somethings on a nostalgia kick. Maybe its the crash history, the kids today never left gaming so they dont look back at it the same way us 30 somethings do. I just cant see anyone ever caring about N64 sports games the same way we care about 2600 Activision games.

Nes is cheap when going after loose carts but does have its high dollar carts also but nes gets into a lot of money when trying to buy complete games a lot of the games the boxes are a pain to find and for just hitting the 20 + year mark dont show up very often and command large prices when they do. plus the amount of games close to 800 not counting label varations is a pain