IGNORED

I don't know anything about electronics/modding, so how do I begin?

JPjuice23

Although I'm very much inspired by videos like this

that isn't really my goal (Although If I think I could, I would probably try.)

Regardless, I'd like to start small, and work my way up. I want to mod an Atari Flashback 2 to play Atari 2600 games, but I don't know if a noob like me can start there (maybe I can, but I'd like to ask where you think I should begin.)

Are there books you recommend? Beginner projects to familiarize myself with soldering and other electronic tools? Or do you think I should just by the tools needed to mod a Flashback 2, and go for it? Again, I've never soldered anything in my life, infact, I've never disassembled any of the electronics that I've owned.

Let me know what you think, and what is the best way to begin. Thanks guys.

Practice soldering on some e-waste PCBs. Starter mods would include adding AV outs to an Atari. Soldering is something that anyone can do poorly, but takes time and practice to learn to do well. Not sure that adding a cart slot to a flashback is the best place to start, but that doesn't mean that you cant give it a shot.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm probably going to try this http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/proj.htm

Seems simple. Any recommendations on soldering irons?

This question has been asked a few times, try searching the Hardware forum for recommendations of specific models.

Generally a straight plug in to the mains no temperature adjustment iron will do but if you can I would recommend getting one where you can set the temperature as leaded (easier to work with if inexperianced and you can still get it) and unleaded solders require different temperatures.

For leaded use 325-335 degrees C, unleaded use 355-365 degrees C, don't be tempeted to wack the temperature all the way up (many irons go to around 480 degrees C) and think that will make things better, it won't as the flux is burnt of too quickly and it is easier to heat damage the componets during soldering.

Try and get at least 30W, 50W is better, as you solder the tip cools down as heat from the tip is transfered to the solder, component and PCB track, the higher the wattage the quicker the temperater of the tip recovers.

Get the feel for the soldering iron by practicing on junk electronics, like JJ said. Old unwanted radios, busted TV remotes and stuff. Then move up to those beginners' electronic kits, stuff like "electronic cricket" and "electric dice" and so on. Bunch of 'em here. The project you chose already is very good, but might be a little difficult for a total beginner to figure out the placement of the components if you don't have the same type of PCB to solder to.