IGNORED

Is there any reason NOT to buy a Harmony Cart?

Skylark68

Just as the title says. I'm ready to pull the trigger, but lack of funds to spare for my classic videogame hobby is the only reason I haven't yet. I just want to know if anyone has a reason not to buy one.

The hardware is already obsolete ,

very soon you will find more and more games that won't fit in that 32k

but if you want it for the legacy 2600 games, go get it,

it's not fancy,but get's the job done.

- The only computer you have access to is a Mac and the copy-and-paste function doesn't work. (For whatever reason, SD cards set up on a Mac are only recognized if you copy-and-paste the ROMs onto it rather than drag-and-drop)

???? Huh? I've never copy/pasted mine, just dragged-dropped, and the Harmony works fine. Been doing that since Leopard at least.

Okay, I think I was a little bit over-stating something....here's what it sez in the manual:

On the Mac, it is necessary to copy and paste the files onto the SD card (rather than drag and drop) to preserve the file ordering.

I hadn't added stuff to my Harmony in a long time; I forgot that you CAN drag-and-drop, it's just that if you don't copy-and-paste the files won't stay in order. oops.

Ah, yes, I remember that now. The folder that I have updated since the initial setup of all the main collection files is just the random binaries that I want to try, so I don't care about the order, so I totally forgot about that.

The Harmony cart makes it very easy for batari Basic users to test their own games on a real Atari 2600. Do we really need more Atari 2600 games? I say NO! There are too many Atari 2600 games already! I say destroy every Harmony cart you see and make the world a better place!

maybe you can wait for Harmony 2?

Only if he has a 7800 as the H2 won't work in the 2600.

The hardware is already obsolete

maybe the specs are more up to date

Really? Did somebody come out with a multicart that does more than the Harmony? Inquiring minds want to know because, as far as I'm aware, it's still the latest in 2600 multicart technology.

There's no reason not to get one. Besides being great for existing games, it's also a great way to test homebrews that are under development. I wouldn't wait for the Harmony 2, since there's no ETA for it yet. Besides, you can always also buy a Harmony 2 later, and help support the homebrewing community all that much more. ;)

First I've heard of this. What possible improvements can there be to the Harmony cart?

7800 game support, if I'm not mistaken

Regardless of the H2, I'd still buy a H1 as it plays Atari 2600 games on a REAL Atari 2600. If I'm going to move to playing Atari 2600 games on another console I may as well move to emulation.

First I've heard of this. What possible improvements can there be to the Harmony cart?

7800 game support, if I'm not mistaken

Regardless of the H2, I'd still buy a H1 as it plays Atari 2600 games on a REAL Atari 2600. If I'm going to move to playing Atari 2600 games on another console I may as well move to emulation.

A 7800 basically contains a 2600, but alright.

I have

I have both, but I prefer 2600 gaming on my sixer for a few reasons:

• colors of 2600 games are muted on the 7800
  • can't tell at a glance what the difficulty switches are set to on the 7800
  • haven't seen a stereo mod for the 7800 - must play Medieval Mayhem in stereo :D

• Like 2

I have

I have both, but I prefer 2600 gaming on my sixer for a few reasons:

• haven't seen a stereo mod for the 7800 - must play Medieval Mayhem in stereo :D

Only if he has a 7800 as the H2 won't work in the 2600.

The hardware is already obsolete

maybe the specs are more up to date

Really? Did somebody come out with a multicart that does more than the Harmony? Inquiring minds want to know because, as far as I'm aware, it's still the latest in 2600 multicart technology.

any new flash cart (including H2) should at least have 512k ,

like Atarimax one's ,

then you won't end up with more and more games not fitting

I have both (a 7800 and 2600), but I prefer 2600 gaming on my sixer for a few reasons:

Wouldn't you just wire a stereo mod the same as on a 2600? They both use a TIA, I think. Colors could likely be tweaked too, I would think.

Oh well, I'll stop derailing this now.

any new flash cart (including H2) should at least have 512k ,

like Atarimax one's ,

then you won't end up with more and more games not fitting

It's not just a matter of "fitting". The Krokodile Cartridge has 512k, and while it can handle Boulderdash(though mine doesn't like the demo for some reason) it can't play Frantic.

Just an FYI - you're coming across like sermajic, and that's not a good thing.

Wouldn't you just wire a stereo mod the same as on a 2600? They both use a TIA, I think. Colors could likely be tweaked too, I would think.

Probably could, just haven't see any mods that do so. Main issue for me is the difficulty switches, I don't like playing on 4-switch 2600s for the same reason.

Probably could, just haven't see any mods that do so. Main issue for me is the difficulty switches, I don't like playing on 4-switch 2600s for the same reason.

yep 6 switcher kicks some asses,

a multicart with at least 512k and sd streaming capabilities is what we need so it can be future proof

crocodile does not have superchip , but it's way older than Harmony

i like powerpack type carts, in the way the harware can accomodate new chips -like superchip for ex.- updating mappers.

Edited by fernando marrin