IGNORED

Ice-T XE 2.73 released

itaych

Ice-T XE 2.73 is hereby unleashed unto the unsuspecting public.

Very appreciated.

Gave it a quick go with an emulator and seems to work o.k. Need to install it on the real set-up to test some more as I usually don't do emulators.

I noticed it's still showing the same strange behavior on some ANSI codes as the older versions did. My BBS supports ANSI emulation but when used with Ice-T the CLS command acts up. This, however, may be caused by some slight differences in the ANSI code implementation. All I know is that it looks o.k. when using HyperTerm on windows i.e.

Nothing too serious. The text is still readable :-)

I noticed it's still showing the same strange behavior on some ANSI codes as the older versions did.

Of course it does. Look at the What's New list. There is no claim there about any changes made to the terminal emulation parser, and so it should be of no surprise that no change is observed. Regarding the CLS issue, I quote from icet.txt:

Emulation: Choose VT-102 or ANSI-BBS. I only know of one difference

between these two (ANSI homes the cursor when clearing the

screen, VT-102 does not).

If you haven't tried both settings of "Emulation", please do. If this still doesn't help you, and you have any further specifics about this problem, such as a way to reproduce it or information on the code that I may not have properly implemented, please fill me in. I wrote Ice-T based on specifications of the VT-100 standard, which is what is used by Unix based shells but not exactly the same as that used in BBS's - and I haven't found any documentation about the latter. Let me know if there's anything you know.

Of course it does. Look at the What's New list. There is no claim there about any changes made to the terminal emulation parser, and so it should be of no surprise that no change is observed.

I didn't say I expected a change. Just a note.

If you haven't tried both settings of "Emulation", please do. If this still doesn't help you, and you have any further specifics about this problem, such as a way to reproduce it or information on the code that I may not have properly implemented, please fill me in.

I'm not sure you are the one who implemented it wrong. It could also be my BBS that implements some things different or wrong.

It's not that CLS just doesn't wipe the screen but sometimes strange characters appear or disappear around a CLS instruction.

A small example:

[255D [0;1mTEXT

&00

The "TEXT" part of this will be shown on the screen only when connected with Ice-T in both translations. When using HyperTerm the "TEXT" won't be shown, which is the way I intended.

Esc[255D will send the cursor back (left) 255 positions, this is like a carriage return.

Esc[0;1m will reset the text rendition, then switch to boldface.

So, the TEXT will appear in bold at the left side of the screen.

What's the &00 supposed to do?

Esc[255D will send the cursor back (left) 255 positions, this is like a carriage return.

Esc[0;1m will reset the text rendition, then switch to boldface.

So, the TEXT will appear in bold at the left side of the screen.

That's exactly what it does with Ice-T.

edit:

TEXT shows up at the position where the cursor happens to be so it'll not move to the left.

What's the &00 supposed to do?

I tested some more and the &00 is a thing that's causing the difference.

&00 Is the pro-BBS code that clears the screen. It'll internally be translated to the right CLS code for the current translation a user is logged in with (ATASCII/ASCII/ANSI/VT52-mono/VT52-color/IG/CGS).

TEXT is a tag for internal usage by the BBS. It's used in some places as an identifier of what's coming next.

Since the TEXT and &00 are very close together it's just not visible when a CLS has been executed. I captured some parts with Hyperterm and the TEXT shows up in there so it was transmitted, just not visible in the live terminal.

To be short, it comes down to a skipped CLS after all.

Edited by Fox-1 / mnx

You got me there. When parsing Esc [ n ; n ; ... ; n cmd style sequences, I internally use the value 255 as a flag for an invalid value, because I needed one, and could not conceive of a situation where one would legitimately use 255. Therefore in your ESC [ 255 D the 255 is ignored and replaced with the default value of 1, and the cursor moves one position left. You could easily use any other value between 80 to 254 to accomplish the same purpose. Or you could use a Carriage Return. I should fix the vt100.txt documentation to reflect this.

Therefore in your ESC [ 255 D the 255 is ignored and replaced with the default value of 1, and the cursor moves one position left. You could easily use any other value between 80 to 254 to accomplish the same purpose.

Good to know! Thanks for the quick response.

It wasn't a big issue for me but now I know it can be solved I need to do some editing. This sounds easier as it is but I can't edit the ANSI screens on my 130XE (that is, with WYSIWYG) so need to do it on another system. Maybe I could try it with an ATASCII editor (like Panther). Don't know how that works out but I'll try :-)

Unrelated: it would be nice if there was an ASCII/ATASCII supporting Ice-Term-like terminal. There are a few but none as fast and readable as Ice-Term.

Changed some "255" values to "254" and it seems to do the trick, partially. The "TEXT" is still visible simply because there is no CLS but it's cleaner this way.

Also noticed that blinking text sometimes is "shifted".

[5;33mATARI ATAR is blinking, the I doesn't.

[5;33m8-Bit 8-Bit is blinking plus the previous character.

(that weird character is an ASCII $1B)

99dkx5.jpg

Well, how did you expect me to understand that from what you wrote? I still don't understand if this is a single computer with two use cases or two different machines. In any case there is some non-standard behavior preventing Ice-T from detecting banked memory. Is this a problem with the new version or was this always the case?

its possible connect with ice-t to ports 21, 25, 110? i try connect to my FTP, i connect, but thats all :)

and when i chating.. irc.atarichat.net 400 and trying ctrl+cursor top (5x) and hit RETURN, cursor move up 5 lines..

Edited by w1k

w1k, I'll tell you what. Open a command prompt on any Windows, Mac or Linux machine. Type 'telnet host port'. If there is anything you can do there but cannot do in Ice-T, please let me know. Telnet cannot act as an FTP client and neither can Ice-T. The arrow keys do not work on atarichat.net (but Ctrl-B, F, P, N for back, forward, previous, next -- do work). Neither of these are Ice-T's fault.

when i was win95, 98, i normall using windows telnet to connect ftp, or mail..

u successfully connect to FTP and POP3 or SMTP via ice-t with small trick, i uploading video..

that arrow keys not work, but when i type RETURN, then cursor move 5 lines up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8msQLXMxrE

Edited by w1k