IGNORED

Which games should they NEVER have tried to do on the 2600?

Room 34

And as much as I love 2600 tut, its another zaxxon instance. It's good as it's own game, but as a conversion of the arcade game?

Agreed, I had never played 2600 Gorf until last year -- and I have never played the arcade version at all -- but I can tell that this is probably NOT a good rendition of the arcade game, and on its own it's also weak. Very awkward gameplay and (seemingly) unnecessary flicker.

This gives me an idea for another topic to post...

Meh, it's an aquired disinclination due to getting into way too many technical discussions where the other side just didn't "get it".

In this case, the not-getting seems to be that Nukey isn't realizing that, while sprites are unlimited vertically, they are extremely limited horizontally. A 2600 playfield can represent 20 peak-valley transitions in a single line. That would require 40 sprites to smooth out the scrolling of each side of each pixel.

@Zylon:

What's so complicated about Scrabble? :P

@Kepone:

I think Donkey Kong and Pac-Man COULD have been done a lot better than they were. (Although DK is not bad at all, compared to the Intellivision version.) Some other games, though, seem just impossible to really do well on this system.

I have to second the Zaxxon vote here. That's one of my all-time least favorite 2600 titles.

By the way, for those who keep dissing Super Cobra on the Atari 2600, that's not the version that Parker Bros. should never have tried. To see the version they never should have tried to make, dig this:

Super Cobra on the Odyssey2

Suddenly the 2600 version doesn't look that bad anymore. :P

Super Cobra on the Odyssey2

Actually, aside from the... uh... coarse landscape, it doesn't look that bad.

Mind you, what I find unbearable about the 2600 version is its herky-jerky gameplay. It doesn't look that bad at all!

Looking at the Odyssey2 stuff on this site raises another question... Why does almost EVERY game title in the Odyssey2 library end with an exclamation point?

http://www.thelogbook.com/odyssey/

The course scrolling of Super Cobra is nothing to do with ROM or even RAM. It's because the 2600 playfield cannot smooth-scroll horizontally.........This technique severely limits the complexity of terrain you can render, and chews up sprites that are needed for the actual game.

One thing's for sure though.. at least 2600 Super Cobra EXISTS. (herky jerky movements and "horizontal" arguments aside :roll:) So that means Scramble could be made as well!

'Course it won't be the greatest. And you'd probably see 2 targets at a time with rough scrolling.. :lol: But man.. Scramble would still rock to see! (or any attempt at it) :D

Yes, I have played Stargate. Note how far apart the peaks-valleys are. They're arranged so that there are never more than two sprites (missiles, ball, whatever) required on a single scan line. This approach is entirely inadequate for a game like Scramble.

Only because the same approach wasn't carried all the way through (since it's not needed in Stargate). As far as the limitations of the 2600 hardware is concerned...I'll leave that to the techs.

Only because the same approach wasn't carried all the way through (since it's not needed in Stargate).

See, joeybastard? This is just what I'm talking about.

OK but let's not make me a referee, I was just suggesting that you explain rather then immediately condemn what Nukey is saying. I would think the best way to solve this would be for either of you to build a demo of what you're arguing about.

any more thoughts on the actual topic? I thought qberts cubes pretty rough, especially after playing the coleco version. And Quest for Quintana Roo, whats up with that game? I dont know why it was made. frustrating and annoying. and buggs and sssanke never should have been made, thats for sure. and most of the pap that froggo and panda shoveled out i could live without

But, really, what was atari thinking, making a text space non-action game??? (Stellar track.)

Eh, kind of hard to write code to DISprove that something's possible. :)

Very true. I should have suggested Nukey write something that would prove his point. I'm officially letting this die and going back to topic :)

Karate is unplayable, all Mythicon games are unplayable, and I can't get anywhere with Sea Hunt either. Evrytime I jump in the water the shark gets me. It's impossible.

I've heard nasty things about Congo Bongo for the 2600 but have never actually played it.  Is it really that horrid?

I've never played it either, but a review from an old video game mag I have says that four screens were shrunk to two, and at times your character would die when it looked like a coconut or whatever was tossed from Congo Bongo was far away, while other times it looked like the character was nailed for sure, but he'd still be standing.

My vote would go to Gorf, which it wasn't TOO bad, I guess, but they really shouldn't have bothered...they should've made it into another "RAM Plus" game of theirs, since CBS Electronics did a few of 'em.