IGNORED

Saving BASIC programs from emulators

SIO99

I've made lots of progress since my last message on this thread! I've read a lot of stuff on www.atariarchives.org , as well as buying an Atari 65XE, complete with XC12, three carts, and three controllers, from eBay. I've written a few programs of my own, as well as adapting some existing programs. This includes designing, displaying and moving a player, printing an inputted name at various postitions accompanied by random notes in 3 channel sounds, and writing a program to display random triangles, although I haven't managed to fill the triangles in.

I didn't get any manuals with the 65XE, so I just need to check something with you, although I think I already know the answer. Does the Atari XE range have additional BASIC commands for Player Missile Graphics? I think the answer is probably no, because your link says that BASIC XE is on a cartridge, but I thought I should check to be 100% sure.

No Atari Basic have no special commands for player missile graphics, but the horisontal postion registers and color registers and size and colision registers can be accesed and read by Poke and Peeking the registers.

The player missile have only horisontal position registers so to get any usable speed with vertical movement of the player is best to use strings for the sprite data,

Thats work well and i used that for my games, Info on this is in the Book "player missile graphics in basic" at Atarimania.com

And i would suggest using Turbo Basic Xl with is 3 to 4 times faster than Atari Basic and with additonal commands for sound and graphics but for player/missile its the same as atari Basic, and its compitable with Atari Basic.

Turbo Basic 1.5 Xl is avaible on a disc image at Atarionline.pl look at utilities/programming.

I've made lots of progress since my last message on this thread! I've read a lot of stuff on www.atariarchives.org , as well as buying an Atari 65XE, complete with XC12, three carts, and three controllers, from eBay. I've written a few programs of my own, as well as adapting some existing programs. This includes designing, displaying and moving a player, printing an inputted name at various postitions accompanied by random notes in 3 channel sounds, and writing a program to display random triangles, although I haven't managed to fill the triangles in.

I didn't get any manuals with the 65XE, so I just need to check something with you, although I think I already know the answer. Does the Atari XE range have additional BASIC commands for Player Missile Graphics? I think the answer is probably no, because your link says that BASIC XE is on a cartridge, but I thought I should check to be 100% sure.

In addition to the above reply. Basic XE has missile-player related commands and is also faster than Atari Basic. You can't however complile your programs. In that respect it's like Atari Basic. But it looks like this may have been answered already..

Edited by atari8warez

• 2 years later...

Great advice. But I am having trouble.

1) Load up the Starbase Hyperion disk image, start a game.

2) When the first screen is done plotting and you are at the main menu, start pressing the 1 key. After a few lines, the game will crash.

3) Type "graphics 0" and "list" to see the program.

I want to save this so that I can look at it on my PC. How do I do this? I get "Error 130" when I try what you outlined below.

Since you are using Atari 800 Win +, go into the options and set up a hard drive folder. This will present itself to the Atari as an H device (H1: as opposed to D1:). Now, here is the cool bit. Adding a 5 to the number (H6: instead of H1:) will write to that device using the proper PC EOL character ($10,$13) as opposed to the Atari's ($9B). So, to save your BASIC code as a text file, enter the following :

LIST "H6:FNAME.TXT"
To load that back into the Atari, do
ENTER "H6:FNAME.TXT"
Edited by doomtints

Great advice. But I am having trouble.

1) Load up the Starbase Hyperion disk image, start a game.

2) When the first screen is done plotting and you are at the main menu, start pressing the 1 key. After a few lines, the game will crash.

3) Type "graphics 0" and "list" to see the program.

I want to save this so that I can look at it on my PC. How do I do this? I get "Error 130" when I try what you outlined below.

First you need to enable the H drive patch.

Second you need to point H to some physical folder on a hard drive.