IGNORED

Someone school me on WipeOut HD

I got WipeOut HD (the cool hover race game, not the goofy casual knock-them-off-platforms game) when PSN came back online last year and although I hear great things and love the visuals I cannot control my racer to save my life.

I have tried various control schemes, even used a joystick, and never get above 7th place on even the easiest settings.

I have checked YouTube for tutorials and none have helped.

Does anyone have any good pointers?

I know how to steer, accelerate, use the thrust thingies on the ground, pick up weapons, fire weapons, absorb weapons to replentish health, etc.

What I do not understand are the air brakes.

Do I want to enable one of them when I go into a turn?

Which one for which turn?

Left Brake when turning left or when turning right?

When I turn, how do I avoid hitting the walls (I assume that's what the air brakes are for but I am rotten in using them)?

How do I pull off the barrel rolls I see on YouTube?

Why do I even want to bother with them?

This game is calling my name but I am terrible at it.

Any suggestions?

Basically, you need to memorize the tracks while playing on them. Be aware of the turns coming up & be in the proper position already.

Air Brakes: Don't use them every time, just on turns that you know (from previous play) that you can't make without 'em. Left brake for left turn, right for right (I think).

Barrel Roll: I think you tap Left-Right-Left or Right-Left-Right (directionals, not brakes) while in the air. You get a quick boost upon landing if you do it without screwing up the landing.

I've messed around with the series since it began, and I've never been really good at it until I got the first PSP game. I'm still not what you'd call "good" at it, but I do alright. Just takes practice & those pointers ought to help.

Rex Dart is right on everything he says. You need to practice. I played this game to death and got gold on every track if I remember. I considered myself a good player at the time but not great. Today I think I would really stink as I haven't gone back to it in a few years after the ad-scam happened. Remember your not terrible...it takes a while to get used to.

Using different cars on different tracks sometimes helps but it will throw you off on the controls a bit. Unlocking some of the "better" cars really helps later on. You really need to memorize the tracks and learn "shortcuts".

I cannot remember my control scheme. I think I was one of the few who had the X as the thruster and not R1 or a trigger. If I get the chance I can look at what I used and let you know.

Good point on the cars. It really helps to find one or two that fit your style, just to give you that tiny little benefit while playing. I think my general favorites were Assegai & Feisar

Once you get the hang of it, you can try other cars & see what's best for each track.

Edited by Rex Dart