IGNORED

Inty Cartridges are Color Coded!

SlowCoder

I never made that connection until just now! I was watching the video in this thread when I noticed it.

From what I can tell ...

Green: Gambling and card games. I see that Horse Racing is green, which seems kind of strange. I'd think it could as easily be blue, as you're actually racing the horse itself.

Purple: Board games

Blue: Sports

Red: Arcade, action and adventure

Yellow: Educational

Did I miss any?

Correct! The Intellivision games were sorted by Mattel into "networks", each with their own characteristic box color.

"Arcade Network" games were in burgundy boxes. These were to have been original titles developed at Mattel and then licensed to the arcades, since Mattel was having a difficult time securing arcade licenses of their own. The only "Arcade Network" game to be released was Vectron, and then Mattel got the license for the Data East properties (including BurgerTime, which also shipped in a burgundy box). I wish they had released more of these; I love the burgundy boxes.

"Space Action Network" games were shipped in dark blue boxes.

"Gaming Network" games were shipped in green boxes, and included games which simulated gambling (the card games and Horse Racing).

"Children's Learning Network" games, of which only Math Fun and Word Fun were released, were shipped in orange boxes.

"Sports Network" games were released in royal blue boxes.

"Strategy Network" games (Checkers, Chess, Backgammon, Reversi, and Utopia) were released in purple boxes.

"Action Network" games were released in red boxes.

I think that covers all of them. Mattel did away with the "network" concept in 1983, so the later games got more variety in their package designs.

Correct! The Intellivision games were sorted by Mattel into "networks", each with their own characteristic box color.

"Arcade Network" games were in burgundy boxes. These were to have been original titles developed at Mattel and then licensed to the arcades, since Mattel was having a difficult time securing arcade licenses of their own. The only "Arcade Network" game to be released was Vectron, and then Mattel got the license for the Data East properties (including BurgerTime, which also shipped in a burgundy box). I wish they had released more of these; I love the burgundy boxes.

"Space Action Network" games were shipped in dark blue boxes.

"Gaming Network" games were shipped in green boxes, and included games which simulated gambling (the card games and Horse Racing).

"Children's Learning Network" games, of which only Math Fun and Word Fun were released, were shipped in orange boxes.

"Sports Network" games were released in royal blue boxes.

"Strategy Network" games (Checkers, Chess, Backgammon, Reversi, and Utopia) were released in purple boxes.

"Action Network" games were released in red boxes.

I think that covers all of them. Mattel did away with the "network" concept in 1983, so the later games got more variety in their package designs.

Jay nailed all the networks. As an aside, all the Intellivoice games were in tan boxes and all the ECS games were in black boxes. After that it was a free for all.

LOL...I always knew that they were color coded by type, but initially I never noticed that they actually say on the boxes which network they belong to. Before that breakthrough I had been storing my games alphabetically rather than by network. It's kind of exciting to think of all of the little things I have yet to notice. SlowCoder should check out the full color manual thread :-)