IGNORED

INTV 1 that goes to black screen after a few minutes

OK I have had this one for a while. After a couple minutes of playing, it will go to a black screen. Once you reset it, it goes for even less time.

I tested the voltage and this is how it reads out:

green & blue - 18.3 - was told it should be 18

green/yellow & green - 9.25 - was told it should be 9.25

green & green - 19 - was told it should be 18.5

Any experts have any ideas?

I have two that do the same thing. One lasts for ten minutes and goes downhill with each restart; the other is lucky to make 30 seconds.

I know Intellivision I units were prone to overheating, but no one (that I know of) has ever quantified exactly which part is failing, and whether it can be ameliorated with a heatsink or something. (It would certainly be a huge help if anyone's up for doing that!)

At some point, I'll try to set up the diagnostic program on my Cuttle Cart 3 and see if it tells me anything.

OK I have had this one for a while. After a couple minutes of playing, it will go to a black screen. Once you reset it, it goes for even less time.

I tested the voltage and this is how it reads out:

green & blue - 18.3 - was told it should be 18

green/yellow & green - 9.25 - was told it should be 9.25

green & green - 19 - was told it should be 18.5

Any experts have any ideas?

Looks like the transformer is within tolerances. What are you getting from the power supply?

I'd doubt the cart port as the culprit. It sounds like we're talking heat expansion. Check that your chips are seated properly. You'll have to desolder the shielding around the motherboard to get to them.

How do I test the power supply? I got those readings from the metal box that connects to the power outlet.

It gets pretty hot so I put a fan in the system and cut out a spot for it to blow out hot air, and it will stay cool. I cleaned a cart pretty good and it worked for about 20 minutes and went to the black screen issue again.

I'll take it apart later and try messing with the chips. Is there a specific one I should focus on?

How do I test the power supply? I got those readings from the metal box that connects to the power outlet.

I don't have access to the specs right now. I'll try to post them later, unless someone else beats me to it.

I'll take it apart later and try messing with the chips. Is there a specific one I should focus on?

Once you get to the board, there are 5-6 chips that are hopefully socketted. You'll want to gently remove them, and reinsert them.

• 2 weeks later...

Most people cant test them but another problem can also be the 2 large capacitors. Easy thing to do is resolder them to board. Sometimes they get cracked solder joints and cause this. No matter where the problem is, honestly it is probably just a cracked solder joint. Possibly a chip, but easier to look for cracked or loose solder joints and more likely. One of these days i am gonna take my spare intv and make it a test machine so i can test chip out of other systems.