IGNORED

Repairing power packs

simbalion

It's hard to see what the power switch setting may have to do with blowing the fuse,.........

Well, not really that difficult to see....Most 1050 power jacks are difficult to insert the power pack plug (I think the spring leaf that holds the plug tight is too stiff, oxidization of metal parts over the years also adds to the problem), so when the drive switch is in ON position sometimes trying to insert the plug causes sparks and that I believe causes a surge that blows the fuse up. So it's a good idea to check the power switch before inserting the plug, also a tiny spray of WD40 on the jack makes the insertion of the plug a lot smoother.

While I had my power supply apart, the one you have to pry apart carefully, I went a step further that I recommend.

Get yourself a fuse holder, drill a hole in the side near the end of the case and attach and solder in the fuse holder.

That way, in the future if a fuse blows, you can replace it easily.

I am talking about a barrel type threaded fuse holder by the way.

I still have one 9volt ac supply to modify.

The original fuse in one of them was 5 amps. I do not know if this is the correct one for the 800.

I was digging through some power supplies I saved from being scrapped and found two more 9 volt brick power supplies and some other types of Atari power supplies I have never seen before. Guy had been keeping the working power supplies for years, but got desperate for cash and was scrapping them. I didn't save them all, but saved one big box at least. When I get time, I will pry apart the one I just blew and re-fuse it. :)