IGNORED

Why I should not buy a 7800 to play mostly 2600?

I'm searching an atari 2600 to buy and the 7800 came to my mind. I never saw an atari 7800 in my life :_(

All I know about the system comes from AtariAge :)

So, What are the cons about using the 7800 mostly to play 2600?

From what I could learn in the forum, these are the cons, but I'm not sure if there are more or if they can be somewhat fixed:

1) Games incompatibility: in 7800 atariage faq there's a list of few games that don't work in 7800. Can it be fixed just using the harmony cart?

2) Power supply: I read it was a proprietary and one can't buy a common power supply. Is it true with all 7800 models? BTW, wich would be the best 7800 version to play 2600 games?

3) Components life: Atari 2600 is an old hardware, but it is very reliable. And the 7800, is it one of the good old hardware?

4) Nostalgia effect: personally I can survive, but if this thread becomes usefull for others, it should be considered too.

5) New homebrews: that's my strongest reason to buy a real hardware :). The system is alive! Great homebrews are been released, I can't believe my eyes :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . Is there a problem here?

6) Price and abundance in market: personally I found just one console in the internet here in Brazil and it was too expensive! What's the ratio of price between 2600 and 7800? Cross fingers, someone will offer a good 7800 at good price to send to Brazil...

Is there any other issues to consider?

Edited by Liduario

I haven't heard of any 2600 games that are incompatible with the 7800. I think you should buy a 7800, it is a better value in the long run considering that its two systems in one. Here in the US, a 7800 costs about $20 to $25 more than a 2600 on Amazon. I don't know of any sellers of 7800's on Amazon.com that offer international shipping, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

Edited by Fygar13

I use a 7800 to play all my 2600 & 7800 games. The few games that don't work don't matter that much to me (and I do have a 2600 if I really want it anyway). Some 7800s are more compatible than others, and generally the earlier it was manufactured, the more compatible it is. As a collector, it's nice to have a heavy sixer, but not really that important when it comes to playing the games.

You may want to loosen up the game sleeve (a minor mod on the plastic that cartridges squeeze into) as many 7800s have a tight fit with some 3rd party games, and a few games (for example, my "Jawbreaker" I think) wouldn't fit at all until I clipped a quarter inch off the plastic tabs in the cartridge.

The power supply is electrically common, but the plug is non-standard. You can solder a power supply to the console, or modify your 7800 to accept a different connector if you don't have a power supply (or order a replacement).

I didn't buy my 7800 to play 2600 games, the same reason I bought the 5200: to play THEIR games! I've played many variations of Asteroids and the 7800 version is still my favorite! Expert level where the rocks sometimes break into 3 pieces, not just 2. Very challenging! Plays great using the Starplex controller. Got 2 of them for the head to head version!

post-7077-0-35702200-1335929026_thumb.jpg

My only console right now is a 7800, but I had a 2600 for 25 years (and have since had a Jr. and two heavy sixers) and lemme tell ya....I haven't noticed a difference in color quality or anything.

FTR, my 7800 plays everything --- Imagic, Star...shoot, forgot the name of that cassette thingy....you name it. And it's a newer one -- no expansion port, no outline for an expansion port, etc.

There are only three things I find wrong with the 7800:

1) The pack-in controllers SUCK.

2) No TV Type switch -- I think a few 2600 games actually require it....Space Shuttle, for one...

3) Can't get the "frying" effect like you can with dedicated 2600 consoles, or do the Space Invaders double-shot cheat, due to the nature of the power button.

But to me, the 7800 is the best console I could ask for....plays 7800 games, all the 2600 games (and works with the Harmony cart)...which means the one console will handle future hacks and homebrews for both systems....

Why not by a 7800 for 2600 gameplay? It's newer hardware and will likely work better.

I use the 7800 for 2600 games mostly. I don't like the 7800 library that much. I'll play Asteroids and Food Fight for a bit, but usually I quickly switch to Bob's 7800 homebrews, or 2600 games. I have 2 2600's in the closed, I haven't used them since i picked up the 7800. The one 2600 I clearly remember has more RF interference and crappier image than the 7800 for some reason. That might be anecdotal evidence.

• Like 1

It is a factor of space, and desire. I have both, but my 2600 is a Heavy Sixer, and I prefer the colors on that. There are only 3-4 games that can't be used on most 7800s*. If you're limited in space and money, a 7800 lets you hit both platforms easily enough if you're willing to do some modifications, such as "cracking" the corners of the cart collar inside it, and possibly soldering in a new power connector to replace the oddball one they used. I've done both to mine.

(*I have two of them. Robot Tank and The Activision Decathlon. They use some sort of addressing scheme, IIRC, that the 7800 doesn't like.)

I haven't noticed a difference in color quality or anything.

On my 7800, if I adjust the display for 7800 games to look good then the 2600 games are way too dark. If I adjust it for the 2600 games to look good, the 7800 games are way too bright. There may be variations in systems.

1) The pack-in controllers SUCK.

2) No TV Type switch -- I think a few 2600 games actually require it....Space Shuttle, for one...

3) Can't get the "frying" effect like you can with dedicated 2600 consoles, or do the Space Invaders double-shot cheat, due to the nature of the power button.

1) agreed - I got a couple of the.golden.ax's modded NES controllers, they're much better. Here's his current marketplace topic for them.

2) Space Shuttle's manual says to use Left Difficulty if you can't use the TV Type switch.

3) You don't need to fry Space Invaders to get double-shot, just hold down RESET while turning on the console. I confirmed it works on my 7800.

post-3056-0-10522900-1335984888_thumb.jpg

Edited by SpiceWare

1) Games incompatibility: in 7800 atariage faq there's a list of few games that don't work in 7800. Can it be fixed just using the harmony cart?

Yes, playing the games on a Harmony Cart or Cuttle Cart 2 takes care of the compatibility problems.

Mitch

Thank you for all replies. I'm going to open a topic in the market to buy the 7800.

I discovered that it wasn't commercialized in brazil. That's why prices are so high here. The company with the rights to produce atari 7800 in brazil changed plans in the last moment and produced a nes clone in the 7800 case! It was called Phantom System.

The company ... produced a nes clone in the 7800 case! It was called Phantom System.

While sacrilegious, that sounds amazing! Did it accept NES carts, or was it a 101-games-on-a-chip type?

And while I love my 7800, I still have the ol' 2600 for rough-and-tumble playing with my kid. The 7800 is tough, but my Cuttle Cart isn't. As far as disadvantages go, the 7800 controllers really are bad (uncomfortable) and the games, though graphically advanced, are only somewhat fun. Homebrews are really the boast of the system.

I love playing 2600 games on a 2600. The cartridge slot is a problem sometimes on the 7800. Imagic games generally don't fit every 7800 I've had. But as mentioned above by cafeman, the rf signal is much better (because it's newer, or possibly better technology in the signal) on every 7800 I've owned. Many of my 2600 homebrews have wavy lines of interference on my 2600 vader, but not on my 7800s. So it's a toss up.

I love playing 2600 games on a 2600. The cartridge slot is a problem sometimes on the 7800. Imagic games generally don't fit every 7800 I've had. But as mentioned above by cafeman, the rf signal is much better (because it's newer, or possibly better technology in the signal) on every 7800 I've owned. Many of my 2600 homebrews have wavy lines of interference on my 2600 vader, but not on my 7800s. So it's a toss up.

av modded 2600s give better signal than modded 7800s