IGNORED

What Systems To Setup In My Game Room?

My game room is almost ready, but now I've come to the hardest part. What computers do I want hooked up? I've got all my game systems covered with my two huge entertainment systems, so now I need to think about the computers that will go on the desks. I've got limited space, so I want to keep out the computers with unique games and those that are actually fun to play.

I've got six desks (tables really) that can hold two computers a piece. It might be possible to squeeze in a third one if the other computers were small or didn't have any peripherals (disk drives, tape drives, etc.) but it would be tight. One of the tables is mostly taken up by my RGB systems setup (SNES, Saturn, Genesis, SMS, and DC hooked up to a VGA monitor), so that gives me 11 spots for computers. Here are the systems I'm considering:

Atari 800XL

TI-99/4a

TRS-80 Model III

CoCo 3

C-64

Vic-20

Atari Mega STE

Amiga A1200

Apple IIe

Pentium I (desktop) and Pentium III (tower)

Spectravideo SV-328

MSX 2+

Coleco ADAM

IBM PCjr

Macintosh Classic

Macintosh G3 (tower)

Macintosh IIfx

and of course my regular PC.

I believe I can hooked the two older PC's up to my regular PC, so those could all be condensed into one spot. So for the other 10 spots I was considering:

100% firm on having out

---------------------------

Atari 800XL

TI-99/4a

C-64

Vic-20

Coleco ADAM (this is VGA modded and serves as my Colecovision as well)

Apple IIe

Regular PC / Old PCs

Amiga 1200

Considering

------------

CoCo 3 - Has some neat games, many are unique

TRS-80 - I was amazed at how much fun I had with this at the CCAG

Macintosh Classic - Has tons of unique games, and is small and compact

Probably won't have out

--------------------------

Mega STE - Blasphemy on an Atari board I know, but it seems redundant to have out with the Amiga 1200

SV-328 - Most of the games aren't all that fun and have to load from tape. Takes up too much real estate.

MSX 2+ - If I had more than 5 games for this I'd have it out in a heartbeat. Maybe once I get the disk drive working this will change.

Macintosh IIfx - Early color Mac games were pretty poor and rarely unique. Seems redundant with the Mac Classic.

Macintosh G3 Tower - I just don't see enough unique games to keep this out. Most games are available on the PC.

PCjr - Redundant since I have the old PC's out (one has a 5.25" drive and can be slowed down to play older games). The five or six cartridge games aren't worth keeping it out.

What does everyone else think?

Id get a Spectre GCR so you can have the Mega STE out & play your classic Mac games on it - faster and in higher rez :)

I had one but I never used it since I already had the Mac Classic. I've got a soft spot for the old Classic.

A lot of the VIC-20 games made it to the C64, so I'd look to see if there were any must have titles on the VIC I want to play before including it.

MSX 2+ does have some interesting titles and if I ditched the VIC I'd replace it with that.

The CoCo 3 is definitely worth having for the unique titles.

The Model III is huge and might not fit on a desk with anything but the Mac Classic.

Anything doable on an old PC can pretty much be done with a new PC and DOSBOX.

If you buy one of the really small form factor PCs that can attach to the back of an LCD monitor you might fit in another machine.

A lot of the VIC-20 games made it to the C64, so I'd look to see if there were any must have titles on the VIC I want to play before including it.

Well I do have the Vic-20 Multicart which helps since it has every game ever made on it. There are some amazing Vic games out there, hard to believe I know. :)