IGNORED

Poll

About a week ago or so, I made a poll. Lately I haven’t really been all that active here on AA, merely doing the daily lurk and silently developing a few ideas and taking notes. Anyway – had a link to the poll in my signature, and a few of you decided to take it (the poll). Thanks.

Here’s a link to the poll and results. The poll is open.

I’m delighted that 12 of us (including myself) have taken the time. Obviously people come and go, sometimes we’re hot on something or more (TI related), and sometimes we just haven’t got the time. I guess we all don’t mind some positive and/or constructive feedback. But then, sometimes, I guess we may wonder if we’re doing it almost only for ourselves - and then perhaps at least as a bit of mental therapy (in my case relaxing, taking a stroll in some neat time capsule, telling myself it’s doing good – somewhere – in my system – with a certain relevancy/impact on present day). Well, not that it’s that heavy, but if I say something like that, the wife seems happy and walks away.

I guess I read most of what happens here, with interest, put my bits here and there. Guess I was somewhat “worried” that there really isn’t much “game programming” interest here anymore. Don’t know if the poll (will) tell otherwise. What I’m saying, and to myself, number of replies, number of downloads, people who “like” and number of views might be nice indicators. Bottomline, - keep at it, keep it alive, that TI-99/4A is pretty cool !

:-D

• Like 2

I think the poll shows that there is quite a broad range of interests - I think that's very healthy!

I miss Owen. He was the glue that held this place together - his enthusiasm was endless. He was also a bloody nice guy. Miss him. I hope he's doing okay.

I didn't even see the poll in your sig, and I would suspect a lot of other didn't either. I just took it and the results are interesting to me. Assembly has the highest rating, followed by "programming" and "hardware". I was not sure of the difference between some of the topics though, like "real iron", "hardware", "PEB", and "CF7", so I didn't vote on any of those. I have a CF7 and a PEB, but I guess they are not "areas of interest" to me, I simply use them out of needed to have them (am I over analyzing this?)

With assembly and programming taking the top two votes, it seem strange to me that most people are working on their project here in some form of XB, BASIC, and various compilers, or it just seems that way. Not many people posting questions any more about how to do stuff, etc., which leaves little to talk about. I check the forums a few times a day and I'm always sad when there are no questions from people wanting some help or wondering how to do something. I think the most fun I've had here was back when Owen was looking for a sound player for XB, or when Codex was working on his editor. It is fun to help someone and see them use the information or code to make something bigger. Then again, I'm very much a "tools" kind of person and I enjoy creating more than using.

• Like 1

There is a saying that covers this situation. "If you want something done then do it yourself...." Not flaming or trying to rile you guys up but the truth is that there is a bunch of CPU talent between the two of you (Karsten and Matt) that could be put to use. How about you guys start writing some games. Kind of a lead by example sort of thing.

As far as Owen goes. Last I heard he was living the simple life in Tennesee. Kind of got sideways with some things but is doing good now.

Maybe once the F18A is out the door. I definitely have a lot of things I want to do with the F18A myself, yet I have zero time to play with it. I don't know about games though, I've tried in the past and find I'm better at implementing ideas rather than coming up with them. I'd rather feed pieces of code to someone else who is making a game, that sounds more fun. I did rewrite FlyGuy in assembly, but I could not come up with any additional game mechanics to make it more interesting.

Sort of hung up in real life and my job lately. I also have been sort of lacking inspiration for things I can do on the TI. I'm more of a board troll these days.

I too miss Owen + Codex... Wouldn't say they were the glue, but they were definitely a source of inspiration...

About a week ago or so, I made a poll. Lately I haven’t really been all that active here on AA, merely doing the daily lurk and silently developing a few ideas and taking notes. Anyway – had a link to the poll in my signature, and a few of you decided to take it (the poll). Thanks.

Here’s a link to the poll and results. The poll is open.

Thanks for the heads-up :) I didn't realize the poll was out there, either. Most of my equipment is still in boxes and with all the travel I'm doing lately that won't change for a month or more. :_(

I just recently started lurking again after being way too busy to even look at my 99/4A in some time. It's a hobby, unfortunately, and with so few of us here, the normal drop-outs that happen when life gets too hectic for hobbies are felt much more keenly. I think it's best to look at any TI work you do as for yourself first, with the validation of us fellow oddballs as an added bonus if it happens.

I actually resolved to post less, or not post at all, until I had time to follow through on my projects -- I felt like the king of vaporware there for a little bit. I still have to finish porting the Atlantis game, which seems to be the one anyone's interested in. I have my own projects to finish up as well, and some new ideas, just not a lot of time in recent months. I also have to get my real system set back up - the whole man-cave got dismantled and rearranged, and I'm only just now getting it back in order.

I'd like to eventually take my game ideas to other platforms and get some conversation going with the people like us who are devoted to Vic-20, Spectrum, or other systems. Maybe that is where the answer lies - in the cross-pollination of all our little scenes. Perhaps we all need to draft Owen to come back as our official ambassador. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The poll now has some 37 voters. Thanks a lot to all taking time to take the poll.

poll.png

I tried and cover most or many areas, and could have been more precise. The last area on the list, Hardware, was to cover stuff not mentioned elsewhere, like maybe GRAM Kracker or F18A. Interest in only F18A or SID could result in votes in many areas, like Tools, Graphics and Colors, Music, Sound and Hardware.

Some of us may be new to the forum, some of us may have intent to use a good amount of time in different areas, and reality might be something completely different. What I’m saying, I don’t think we can put too much in the figures (result of poll), but it may give a few indications. As I said, for me, it was mostly to get a feeling for the interest in “game programming”. And I must say there is. Games and Programming.

It’s interesting, for me, to see a rather great interest in Assembler, opposed to XB. Not that one excludes the other.

How about you guys start writing some games. Kind of a lead by example sort of thing.

I have always wanted to. But would never promise anything, - it being a hobby et al. With my choice of nickname back in 2004, I kinda accepted (foolishly) being a bit “all over the place”. Got too many ideas and too many burnouts.

icon_smile.gif

Edited by sometimes99er
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

... Heck, from the poll some people only use the TI to play games, and if that is what they like, cool. ...

It was ”areas of interest” only, not only one thing with which you spend the most time on. One could vote for programming and games and another for hardware and games. And the area “games” could be interest in writing games, collecting or something. So I think you really can’t necessarily conclude (from the poll) that some people only use the TI for playing games, on the other hand, one can’t rule out that those people exist. I’m pretty sure they did back in the day.

:)