IGNORED

Interest Check: Reproduction Controller Overlays

My list is:

1. Games that did not come with overlays (perhaps out of scope for what you are doing)
  2. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (saw D&D on your list)
  3. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Treasure of Tarmin (gets lots of wear)
  4. Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack (gets lots of wear)
  5. Microsurgeon (harder without overlay)
  6. NFL Football (easier with overlay, gets losts of wear)
  7. Safe Cracker (harder without overlay)
  8. Sharp Shot ( could never remember the games without the overlay, lots of wear)
  9. Any/all other overlays!

Troy

My list is:

1. Games that did not come with overlays (perhaps out of scope for what you are doing)

2. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (saw D&D on your list)

3. Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Treasure of Tarmin (gets lots of wear)

4. Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack (gets lots of wear)

5. Microsurgeon (harder without overlay)

6. NFL Football (easier with overlay, gets losts of wear)

7. Safe Cracker (harder without overlay)

8. Sharp Shot ( could never remember the games without the overlay, lots of wear)

9. Any/all other overlays!

Troy

Baseball, Tron Deadly Discs, and Night Stalker also fit into the category of heavy wear.

River Raid would be a good one too, due to it's poor original quality

As someone who tested the early designs of these overlays, I can tell you without exaggeration that they are better than the originals.

As part of the testing process, we had to insert the overlay into the controller, press every button on the controller, remove and repeat.

We did this 50 times.

After testing these for 50 cycles, the overlay still looked brand new...no wear, no crease, no crinkled edges..just awesome.

Because of the more modern printing process I really believe that these overlays are better than the originals.

Edited by ghsqb

As someone who tested the early designs of these overlays, I can tell you without exaggeration that they are better than the originals.

As part of the testing process, we had to insert the overlay into the controller, press every button on the controller, remove and repeat.

We did this 50 times.

After testing these for 50 cycles, the overlay still looked brand new...no wear, no crease, no crinkled edges..just awesome.

Because of the more modern printing process I really believe that these overlays are better than the originals.

Thank you ghsqb for doing that testing. The testing information you provided was awesome.

Here's the list I compile based on comment so far:

-Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (done)

-Advanced Dungeons and Dragons Treasure of Tarmin

-Las Vegas Poker and Blackjack

-Microsurgeon

-NFL Football (done)

-Safe Cracker

-Sharp Shot (done)

-Baseball (done)

-Tron Deadly Discs (done)

-Night Stalker

-River Raid

I'm hoping that I will eventually get all of the INTV overlays done, but I will start with these. If you guys come up with anymore, just post them.

• 4 weeks later...

This is totally going to devalue the original overlay market! All of my $0.50 overlays are now only going to be worth $0.48. Why!? Why did I empty my 401-K to invest in 65,000 overlays at $0.50 each? Now I will never be able to retire!

On a more serious note, they look great. I'm super curious about the Imagic ones. I really want an entire Imagic set of these!

I'm super curious about the Imagic ones. I really want an entire Imagic set of these!

What exactly are you curious about?

Just a reminder the Imagic repros fell like original Intellivision overlays (not the rough feel of the original Imagic overlays). Again I hope that is not a deal breaker for many of you.

I have also considered doing my own version of the lost (Orphan) overlay set. Not really sure yet if I want to go down the path at this time.

Just a reminder the Imagic repros fell like original Intellivision overlays (not the rough feel of the original Imagic overlays). Again I hope that is not a deal breaker for many of you.

I have also considered doing my own version of the lost (Orphan) overlay set. Not really sure yet if I want to go down the path at this time.

Well as I said in Revs secret project thread, I think if Rev could design a new set of "Orphan Overlays" and if you guys partnered up to create a set with his design.....I think you guys would hit a home run with that.

Not really curious. I just fancy the idea of having a set of Imagic overlays that are non-textured. It's the opposite of a deal breaker for me :)

Not really curious. I just fancy the idea of having a set of Imagic overlays that are non-textured. It's the opposite of a deal breaker for me :)

I guess the extension of that would be a Coleco/CBS set which gets into partial OO territory since Mousetrap came with OL's BITD. Come to think of it, overlay subset sets are something I'd very much be interested in. :ponder: A Sears one would be really cool too since they never got their own as well. Oh the possibilites..... :cool:

I guess the extension of that would be a Coleco/CBS set which gets into partial OO territory since Mousetrap came with OL's BITD. Come to think of it, overlay subset sets are something I'd very much be interested in. :ponder: A Sears one would be really cool too since they never got their own as well. Oh the possibilites..... :cool:

A Sears overlay collection would be awesome! They would have to have some sort of unifying red to them. I am still missing 1 Sears title (Soccer). The one at Trade-N-Games sold before I could snatch it up! I didn't seem to care when I was missing two, but now that I have Backgammon, I'm going crazy with only one missing :-o

• Like 1

I never considered a Sears Intellivision set of overlays. I'll have to do a little more research on the Sears releases. Long story but I don't have much in the way of Intellivision right now. Seeing the comments here makes me realize my work is cut out for me.

Need to note Imagic series and Sears series overlays.

Youd have to figure out how to make the Imagic ones 'foiled'. ;)

Funny you should mention that. About 2-3 weeks ago I was experimenting with foil backed overlays. I wasn't going to say anything, but since you brought it up:

post-9874-0-73934600-1351130442_thumb.jpg

BTW, this is just a test overlay. I don't even have the corners trimmed. This was attempt number 4 believe. My best yet to date. ;)

• Like 1

What's "foil backed"?

The term "foil backed" is a term that describes the process of making the overlay. When I make an overlay, first the overlay is reverse laser printed to a high quality transparency, then the overlay itself is laminated to a film like white plastic layer. That white film is the white coloring of the overlay. I can replace that white film with a polyester based foil film. These films are laminated to the "back" side of the overlay (hence "foil backed"). By using foil instead of the white, anything that would normally be white on the overlay comes out as a brushed metallic look (as in the Hockey overlay above). You'll notice that the colors also look somewhat metallic as well. The draw back of this method is, I can only have white or foil. I can't have both. So foil backed overlays will have no white color in them. The other draw back is the cost. It's going to cost a little more to make foil backed overlays. I hope that helps.

Edited by pboland