IGNORED

Atari Age Necrobump Policy?

As someone who has necrobumped more than a few threads, I thought it might be good to get some clarity on this practice from the moderators (or above!). It seems as though there are two pertinent questions:

* How old does the last post have to be for one's post to be considered a necrobump?

* Once that timetable is established, should necrobumping be allowed?

I'll throw out a suggestion: your post is a necrobump if the previous last post is over a year old. If I want to continue that conversation, I'll start a new topic but include a link to the old thread for those who choose to catch up.

Necrobumping is going to soon become a thing of the past. The forum now supports the ability for me to "archive" threads in-place, which means I can (as an example), archive every thread that hasn't had activity in over three years. The only visible difference with these threads is you will no longer be able to respond to them. Otherwise they will still show up normally when searching, browsing through forums, and so forth. I will have the ability to "unarchive" specific threads if someone has a good reason for wanting to revive an old thread.

The main benefit in doing this will be to greatly reduce load on the server. All of these old threads will be moved into secondary database tables, making the more active tables considerably smaller (by about two-thirds). This will greatly help the database server. I'll also be moving the site to a new server soon, one with considerably more horsepower and RAM (4GB to 24GB!), which should also help with my goal of making AtariAge lightning fast.

..Al