IGNORED

Good oddball games on genesis?

Reaperman

I'm finally drinking the Everdrive koolaid, and have one arriving a couple days from now.

What are some good oddball games/hacks/translations that I will want to try out?

Musha isn't such an oddball, but I'm looking forward to finally playing it.

if I recall the japanese got some kind of naughty shooter that I can't remember the name of.

Anybody got any more ideas?

Not to side track, but what was up with Ristar??? Lets make the game look like Sonic 2 in hard/pastel/whatever colors and give it a ridonkulous gameplay mechanic. Never could get into it and was rotted when it turned out to be one of the secret games on Sonic Collection for GCN. Of course its there cause its so much like sonic, but.... man it sucks....

It's based off one of the original ideas for Sonic, where he was going to be a rabbit named "Feel" who'd grab enemies with his ears. I was disappointed with it at first too (back in the 90s), but it's pretty good if you give it a shot.

I got some weird ones for ya.

Panorama Cotton

Simpsons Virtual Bart

Skitchin'

Quackshot

Ren & Stimpy

The Haunting starring Polterguy

Outlander (not really weird but a great Mad Max style game)

and if you can ever get Shui Hu Feng Yun Zhuan working on your Everdrive please let me know, I have a version of it but it always crashes after ten seconds of playing

• Like 1

Here are some suggestions. Some of these games aren't that weird, but they're very distinctive and generally quite good:

El Viento (and the sequel Earnest Evans, though many people don't like it)

Gain Ground

Granada

Jewel Master

Osomatsu-Kun: Hachamecha Gekijou (not sure if this is good, but it's certainly strange)

The Smurfs (PAL game with lockout, requires a region hack -- write 0x6604 to the address 0x7AABA with a hex editor)

Sol-Deace

Trampoline Terror

• Like 1

Just thought of some more.

Star Control

Ball Jacks

The Ooze

Todd’s Adventures in Slime World (something any Lynx fans should already know)

Chavez 2 (Genesis equivalent to Punch Out)

Desert Demolition starring Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote

Zoom!

Divine Sealing (warning, it's a hentai game ... ummm from what my Sega friends tell me, yeah, that's it)

Junction

• Like 1

Risky Woods

- platformer somewhat reminiscent of Ghouls 'n Ghosts

Dragon's Revenge & Dragon's Fury

- pinball; the later is a port of Devil's Crush from the TG-16

Sub Terrania

- think a far more forgiving Solar Jetman with nice visuals

Devilish

- a heavy modification to the breakout formula.

• Like 1

I almost forgot Zero Wing. For great justice.

Divine Sealing (warning, it's a hentai game ... ummm from what my Sega friends tell me, yeah, that's it)

That's it--the shooter I was thinking of. I'm a sucker for dirty gaming.

speaking of which, I'll probably grab some mahjong games too. looks like there's "Dial Q wo Mawase" and "16 Tile Mahjong." I'm totally greedy--which is obviously the only reason I would play video mahjong. Raging addiction to money--yep.

Edited by Reaperman

You've never seen Qix like this before.

I agree, at least normal Qix lasts more than ten seconds.

Seriously, how do you survive that game?? I love classic Qix and would love to play this version but I die very very quickly. Got any tips?

I play it with a NAKI arcade stick. Standard Genesis game pads don't cut it with this game.

Oh, another pinball one--Psycho Pinball. Not sure if it was just in the UK or if it was just an Australia release (that seems to be where all the copies are on eBay), but it's a very solid pinball game on the Genesis. Easily the best if you are looking for that Pinball Fantasies style of play.