IGNORED

Colleen: Android emulator

Philsan

Ok, now I got 3 Emulators on my Android:

Droid800 and Colleen got the same problem: as soon as pick a folder too close to the root (e.g. /storage/emulated) I get stuck and cannot pick another folder. I have to delete all files from this installation to run a freshly installed, untouched instance of the emulator.

Atari800-SDL does not escape from its own files-folder (only files/, files/data/ and files/savestates/ is visitable but empty).

All emulators worked fine on my older mobile phones, but the newest one I got me recently, running Android 13 btw, does bring these errors.

Guess I will have to try Atari800 in RetroArch, or Kodi if needed. But that's a little too bloated IMO.

On 2/12/2024 at 1:51 PM, atarixle said:

Guess I will have to try Atari800 in RetroArch, or Kodi if needed. But that's a little too bloated IMO.

Give Argon Premium a try (I can send you a 1 month promo code if you like)

Android made alot of changes to how files are accessed, what permissions are needed, etc. in the more recent Android OS releases of the past few years, meaning apps needed to be updated or run into problems with local file storage.

We support both local storage and you can also create an "Argon" folder on your Google Drive and access that.

It is work to keep up with all the changes that come with Android OS updates. Hopefully folks can appreciate/support what we do!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I sent back the new mobile because of many other reasons (it didn't find all phone numbers in search, broke up mobile connections, asked me for the unlock code several times ...). It was crappy but it was fast as heck compared to my now 5 years old reliable mobile phone.

I've been missing being able to run Colleen on my phone at all since as of a few years ago Google Pixel phones can't run 32-bit programs and there haven't been updated builds of Colleen in ages.  So, I took to compiling it myself.  I was able to get it to compile, in 64-bit, using a much later Android API level than it was written for, and it runs...but, file access is broken so I can't actually run anything besides booting into the built-in Altirra OS.  I'm sure it all has to do with the security changes.  I'll work on fixing it as time allows.  Unless someone else out there has already done this.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2024 at 3:27 AM, Panther said:

I've been missing being able to run Colleen on my phone at all since as of a few years ago Google Pixel phones can't run 32-bit programs and there haven't been updated builds of Colleen in ages.  So, I took to compiling it myself.  I was able to get it to compile, in 64-bit, using a much later Android API level than it was written for, and it runs...but, file access is broken so I can't actually run anything besides booting into the built-in Altirra OS.  I'm sure it all has to do with the security changes.  I'll work on fixing it as time allows.  Unless someone else out there has already done this.

Accessing files has been getting more and more restricted with each Android release.

We support Storage Access Framework (SAF) in Argon, which is what you are now meant to do.

You also have to support asking permission to access files/folders, etc.

Similar changes have been happening over time with Google Drive access. There are extra hoops to jump through now for even read-only access to Google Drive compared to last year.

Have you tried RetroArch for Android?  Available in the Google Play Store.

It has a decent Atari800 Core and seems to accept a variety of physical controllers.

(And it allows the creation and sharing of "libretro" style cheat codes.)

10 hours ago, patjomki said:

Tried Argon. Needs a monthly subscription to access my own files so I threw it into the bin as fast as possible.

A subscription?  That seems a bit nutty.  Guess I won't be able to use the source as an example for file access either.  I'm not actually familiar with Android programming, just playing it by ear and figuring things out.