IGNORED

2600 Diagnosis or Theories Please

MaxSpeed

After about 1 hour of play, if I swich cartridges on my heavy sixer, and then turn it on I get a dark green screen and nothing more. It does not matter which game I put in. If I then it off after 15 to 30minutes and turn it on it works. I would say overheating, but never heard of that on a 2600. Maybe it is a bad cap or something. Any suggestions are welcome.

:?

Thanks CPUWIZ,

Well, I have never pulled the cover off my Heavy Sixer before and what I found was quite interesting. It was obvious others had been here before. There was an extra rubber grommet on the video cable. In addition, there was be two pieces of adding machine paper taped in two locations, one on the Metal box (rf shield) and another on the circuit board that appeared to have a slight burn in the middle.

Well, I disassembled everything screwed together, cleaned all the dust out, removed the extra rubber grommet, removed the tape with paper labels, and reseated the socketed chips as you suggested and will see if the same problem occurs again. If it does I will buy a 7805 and replace it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any idea what the pieces of adding machine paper tapped in my machine might mean ? Could these be from when the machine was origonally assembled or do you think this was from a repair ? Maybe I bought somebody elses problem ?

Thanks Again and wish me luck. :D

The "adding machine tape" was the interactive test computers diagnostic readout, it's from the factory.

For thermal or time related failures a can of "freeze spray" can be a great tool. If it's not the 7805 (it could be) I would bet the 6532 is bad, followed by the 6507 in that order of probablility.

Good luck,

Jerry