IGNORED

Finally got a PS2

liveinabin

After almost a year of Gamecube fun, I've decided to see what the rest of the world plays and have bought a PS2.

Now I'm very happy with my purchase (DTS on a console - wow!) and my (only:) ) game GTA:Vice City is brilliant.

One thing I wanted to ask, though. Is it just GTA:VC or do all PS2 games take as long to load as a Commodore 64?! It was like playing on dialup!

The GC and DC don't take anything like this long. Are there any games that have good loading times or is it part of the whole PS2 'zen' design to make us learn patience?

Devil May Cry doesn't really take that long to load and it is a really awesome game But if long load times really bother you stay away from No One Lives Forever. Although that game was fun to watch (I didn't play it :D ) half your time was spent waiting for it to load.

After almost a year of Gamecube fun, I've decided to see what the rest of the world plays and have bought a PS2.

Now I'm very happy with my purchase (DTS on a console - wow!) and my (only:) ) game GTA:Vice City is brilliant.

One thing I wanted to ask, though. Is it just GTA:VC or do all PS2 games take as long to load as a Commodore 64?!  It was like playing on dialup!

The GC and DC don't take anything like this long.  Are there any games that have good loading times or is it part of the whole PS2 'zen' design to make us learn patience?

The load times on a game depend on how the filesystem programmer lays out the data on the disc. For instance, to reduce load times we stuffed entire levels into a single file (textures, models etc.).

The worst case scenario is that hundreds and hundreds of files that are scattered all of the disc need to be loaded per level (can you say seek times ?). I think the two prime examples of bad loading times are Crash Bandicoot and the first Madden (for gods sake you have to wait for the loading screen :ponder: ).

To answer your question, you can get a good data transfer rate from the DVD drive if you layout the data properly.

The same goes for GC and XBOX.

Hope that helps ...

To answer your question, you can get a good data transfer rate from the DVD drive if you layout the data properly.

Indeed. Jak & Daxter is a perfect example. Very rarely do you notice loading times if you're wandering around - it streams the data in almost seamlessly. I was highly impressed. :D As for Vice City, I find the load times on it quite manageable. In fact for the quality of most PS2 games I can't complain - Commodore 64 games took three times as long to load and for what - Kikstart II? Don't get me wrong it's a great game but just doesn't hold a candle to ATV Offroad Fury II.

It's quite trippy, this article sums it up fairly well.

http://www.game-revolution.com/games/ps2/a.../action/rez.htm

I was first released on the DC on which you can play the game with the mouse (totally different experience) but if you find it for the DC, you will pay an arm and a leg for it.

REZ plays like Panzer Dragoon.   But its a real trip to play the game through a loud stereo and with the lights turned off.  Its also a little hard to find on the PS2 now, since its out of print :(

I have seen it used and it's still like $50 for some reason I though it was new since it was still that much Might be more difficult than I thought to check it out.

The load times on a game depend on how the filesystem programmer lays out the data on the disc. For instance, to reduce load times we stuffed entire levels into a single file (textures, models etc.).

The worst case scenario is that hundreds and hundreds of files that are scattered all of the disc need to be loaded per level (can you say seek times ?). I think the two prime examples of bad loading times are Crash Bandicoot and the first Madden (for gods sake you have to wait for the loading screen  :ponder: ).

The same goes for GC and XBOX.

Hope that helps ...

Maybe you can give a talk on this at the PS2 DevCon coming up :)

The trend with PS2 publishers is to rush unfinished, unoptimized games out the door to make an unrealistic ship date. It's especially bad on PS2 as it's the dominent sales leader so it's titles must get out first.

I'm preaching to the wrong person...... :D

jerry

yeah, Rez is good - I played it on the DC.

After a couple of days with GTA:VC, I can't really begrudge the enormous load time at the start as that city is HUGE! Not only that but have you seen how big the playlist is for the radio stations, funny, but I didn't imagine THIS would be the game where Kate Bush makes her game soundtrack debut:)