IGNORED

Lynx HSC 2012 Round 6 Toki

roadrunner

With continues I was able to get up to the mammoth at the end of stage 4. And with save states I managed to beat him, but he's trickier than the other bosses for sure. Tough to not get killed by the trunk. I keep losing all the rest of my lives and continues against him.

I'll try again to get up to him on one credit, but it's going to be frustrating for sure if I make it and then he takes all my lives in a few seconds.

This game seriously needs more/better music tracks. Sometimes collision detection is a bit off when you jump on enemies and you die instead of killing them.

I give it a 6/10. If Toki moved/jumped faster, and if it had a few decent tracks I'd give it 7.

Edited by BillyHW

I don't believe there are any secrets, although there is a code to make Toki dance at the title screen, and another code to see a digitized picture of the developers at the Game Over screen. Most of the tricks are just items in plain sight that are difficult to get to. A powerup that requires you to bounce off an enemy, for example. You can use the rabbit boots near the end of the first level to grab the football helmet, then rush to the end and use the football helmet to kill the boss easily. Just things like that, which I wouldn't call secrets.

There isn't really a trick to the mammoth boss. His telescoping trunk can lock onto Toki and shoot wherever he is, and Toki moves slightly more slowly than the trunk can track. So you have to be ready for the trunk to shoot at you right after the tusk returns, and jump/duck wisely enough to just avoid the trunk. Shoot the crap out of the mammoth's feet as much as you can in between. Also, hurry to get to the mammoth after you pick up that last powerup, as those first few shots will damage the boss more than if you didn't have the powerup.

I agree about the game needing more music. I always thought they ran out of time to include more BGMs, as the second level has its own music and then all the following levels just re-use the first level's BGM. I think the next time new music is introduced is right at the end, during the skateboard/minecart sequence leading to the final boss.

Toki - 26,650

post-9212-0-47249800-1340747617_thumb.png

I'm playing all the other HSCs, so I figured I might as well jump into this one...

Cool, welcome aboard. :)

Cool, I'm trying to play most of them too, as much as I have time for. Unfortunately I can't get a 7800 or A8 emulator working on my Mac yet, and booting into Windows just to play the occasional game is a bit of a pain. Handy is a good Lynx emulator for Mac and Windows. I actually have a working Lynx 1, but my library is pretty thin. :(

Lynx Version: 28850

post-27767-0-43731200-1340794233_thumb.jpg

Sega Megadrive/Genesis Version: 48180

post-27767-0-34969600-1340794332_thumb.jpg

This version is called Toki: Going Ape Spit, or the Japanese version is called JuJu Densetsu (The Legend of Toki).

They made a lot of changes with this one, it's not really a port of the arcade game, it still has Toki and a lot of the same enemies but the levels are different.

Lynx Version: 28850

post-27767-0-43731200-1340794233_thumb.jpg

Sega Megadrive/Genesis Version: 48180

post-27767-0-34969600-1340794332_thumb.jpg

This version is called Toki: Going Ape Spit, or the Japanese version is called JuJu Densetsu (The Legend of Toki).

They made a lot of changes with this one, it's not really a port of the arcade game, it still has Toki and a lot of the same enemies but the levels are different.

I haven't played that Genesis game before, i'll have to try that one out.

I'll give you a bonus point tho. :)