IGNORED

general questions about making first game on actual cart

In the next couple of months, I am working on a project with another friend on making a simple Atari game on cart. We have a simple game concept with general direction already figured out. I will have several questions as I move forward. Please bear in mind that I am not the lead programmer on this project and this will be my first attempt at making a game. Forgive the below non informed programming lingo. This is on my "bucket list" so I thought that I would try to do something early while parts are still cheap and available. First things first.

We initially were thinking of making a simple 4K game. Batari Basic will be used, but before we move forward, I had these initial questions.

1. Due to the low cost of parts and salvaging common carts, we are considering a 4k game. If we were to consider an 8k or above game, were could be buy raw materials to construct the game onto a cart?

2. Do programmers recommend making a 4K game first before trying a 8k game? Is programming an 8K game more challenging?

3. What are some of the more general things that you recommend my friend and myself before moving forward aside from the batari basic tutorials?

I look forward to learning feedback from this community. Thank you!

1. Due to the low cost of parts and salvaging common carts, we are considering a 4k game. If we were to consider an 8k or above game, were could be buy raw materials to construct the game onto a cart?

2. Do programmers recommend making a 4K game first before trying a 8k game? Is programming an 8K game more challenging?

3. What are some of the more general things that you recommend my friend and myself before moving forward aside from the batari basic tutorials?

Programming a 4K game or an 8K game are both challenging in different ways. The challenge of a 4K game is to get everything you want into 4K, which generally entails leaving out some things you'd wanted to put in, or simplifying things (e.g., graphics or game options) more than you'd originally wanted to, or finding ways to squeeze the code down to a smaller size. The challenge of an 8K game is to keep everything properly organized in the separate banks and to switch banks properly.

However, the bank-switching challenges are significantly decreased if you use batari Basic, since the logistics for switching banks is handled for you-- all you need to do is plan out which routines or data to put in which bank, and make sure you use the correct type of goto or gosub/return so you switch banks when necessary. Also, since the built-in batari Basic code for the display kernel and other standard routines will take up some space, it leaves you with less room for your own code-- that is, you don't have 4K for your own code, although you also don't need to create a display kernel of your own.

Note that it's pretty easy to change a game from 4K to 8K in batari Basic, so I'd suggest starting with 4K and seeing what you can fit into it, paring things down if you start to run short on space. Then you can expand the game to 8K if you find there's no way to fit it into 4K.

As for general recommendations, I suggest trying a lot of simple programs before (and also while) you tackle an entire game. I guess that's already included in going through tutorials, but what I really mean is that if you want to do something in your game and you aren't sure how to do it, try writing a separate program to tinker with that particular task-- moving or animating the sprites, updating the score, or whatever it is you're having a problem with. Then once you have a better understanding of that particular task, you should be able to add it to your actual game program more easily.

Aside from that, perhaps the biggest problem people have when designing an Atari 2600 game for the first time is not understanding the graphical limitations, or the basics of how things work (e.g., multiple copies of a sprite). So you should get a copy of the Stella Programmer's Guide and keep it handy, and bookmark RandomTerrain's batari Basic web page so you can refer to it often.

• Like 2

I prefer one bank as two gets you caught or at least tear gassed. Most assembly coders prefer consulting "Racing to the Jim Beam" before tackling serious cycle count issues. Also, while AtariAge has quality, reliable cart production services Hozer has a considerable reputation.

Use Batari BASIC and you'll find that a game fits fine in one 4k bank until it doesn't (usually 80 percent co plete). Then you just break down and use more. Easy peasy.

Edited by theloon