IGNORED

How to run the homebrew under emulator ?

VladR

So, I set out to convert some of my PC stuff (I`ve been working on in last decade) to Jag.

I have the latest Virtual Jaguar that I downloaded yesterday. It has some problems since it doesn`t recognize the *.jag files every time (I still haven`t figured out why), so sometimes it finds the games and most of the time it doesn`t. Perhaps that is even related to my issue with (non)running the homebrew.

Regarding my Dev Environment, I`ve got a WinXP.

I installed the compiler+linker from Michael Hill`s website. It compiles the Hello World program just fine.

When tryig to run the resulting *.BIN I found out that VJ doesn`t support it. After some digging, I found out that the *.BIN file doesn`t have any header, so it makes sense.

So, I read that it should run the *.ROM files. Thus, I had to adjust the linker and use a separate script, but I got the *.ROM from the Hello World.

But Virtual Jaguar still doesn`t recognize it (when I copy it to /software dir, which matches the directory in settings). It`s same for .rom.4420 and .rom.802000 too.

If I make VJ display all files, both .BIN and .ROM are flagged as "**** UNKNOWN ****".

So, I`m still missing something. I think I`ve done a fair share of RTFM and got it to link to two different formats.

Or should I just use a different emulator ?

Perhaps the header in ROM is still corrupted and needs to be just configured properly ? Maybe my .ROM linker script (that I just copied from the readme) is to blame.

In the end, I want to use the Removers lib, but I gotta figure out the toolchain first.

sln with the -n option (no header) will obviously cause VJ to throw a fit and not run the binary file. This however DOES work within project tempest emulator (0.95)

Just a word to the wise.... dont do all development on the emulator when starting... make sure you have a good functioning base program with good obj list refresh method and a "core" to work with. If it works perfectly fine on the real hardware then id say start development on the emulator if you must, however you'll find more often than not that you may have something working on an emulator and on the jaguar it wont run....

VJ is probably the most accurate of the emulators out there for sure, but nothing beats testing/development on the real hardware its intended for....

Just my two cents from my own experiences...

Edited by rush6432
  • Like 3

Just a word to the wise.... dont do all development on the emulator when starting... make sure you have a good functioning base program with good obj list refresh method and a "core" to work with. If it works perfectly fine on the real hardware then id say start development on the emulator if you must, however you'll find more often than not that you may have something working on an emulator and on the jaguar it wont run....

VJ is probably the most accurate of the emulators out there for sure, but nothing beats testing/development on the real hardware its intended for....

I am totally aware of that. However, I do not own Jag at the moment and am not sure if I can justify spending ~$300-$400 during those few short summer months (we don`t really get more then 2 months of summer in Chicago) on "OMG, you brought another stupid console in the house ?!?"

Besides, it`s also a space problem. We`re quite literally, kicking into XBOX`es and PS3 (each must have endured at least a hundred kicks or so :-D ) lying on the ground, since there`s only so much you can fit into those TV tables in each room...

I don`t think I could that to poor Jag and sleep well...

So, I guess l`ll just have to rely on this community to try out the builds in the meantime ;)

At least, the Removers library will undergo a heavy test under VJ :)

Edited by VladR

300-400?? Just get a regular Jag and a skunk... I would assume thats a good start for around 200-250?

Agreed you can probably pick up a jag for like 75-100 bucks and a skunk for atleast a 100 bucks...

not too expensive. could probably sell an xbox to snag one (if you have excess)