IGNORED

Sega 32x perfect s-video mod

Drakon

So I've a question on this...

I recently started to find all my wires and such for my 32x and was thinking about hooking it back up to leave attached once and for all. But, here are my questions...

My model 1 HDG Genesis is already s-video modded. I cut the RF modulator out but left the original AV out on the back. I assume leaving my original S-video circuit is okay since the AV out would be used to get video to the 32x. So, I need to build another genesis s-video circuit minus the resistor and cap on the chroma and wire that into the 32x. Then I'm reading you can remove the AV out on the 32x and replace with your s-video output there.

that much I got, now here is my question and I'm not sure anyone can answer this...

I also added RCA left and right audio outputs on my genesis 1. However, I didn't tap them off the headphone section. I tapped the audio directly off the yamaha chip to bypass all the filtering and get the cleanest sound. Since the 32x passes the audio from it into the genesis and the genesis is outputting all the audio, I'm going to guess that I can't use my RCA outs from the yamaha since I don't believe anything else other then direct left and right synthesis is coming out from that chip? In other words, the 32x audio channels aren't going through the yamaha synthesis. Therefore I'm guessing I wouldn't hear the additional sound channels from the 32x from my current RCA outputs?

Ideas?

That's a great question. I was just pondering doing an SVideo mod with the 32x, but wasn't sure how that would play with the mods already in place. I also tapped into the audio chip, but like Rex Dart mentioned, I believe it was the CXA1034 chip. That said, audio hasn't sounded so good on the genesis before. If it's missing anything, I don't think I notice that.

That said, if anyone has any answers on how audio routes between the 32x and Sega Genesis, I'd love to hear it. That said, this looks like a fun mod...would be wild if it could look even better, since the SVideo looks so good on the native Genesis Model 1. But, wouldn't want to give up my stereo mod.

• 11 months later...

Hi guys, I hope some of you usefull folk still use these forums. I have a quesiton about modding the 32x. I recently got 3 NTSC 32x's from a friend in America, since I live in Australia where our consoles are all Pal, I thought I'd region mod it so myself and friends could play pal 32x games on it. Major problem, which I didn't think of, is that whilst it works fine, the video is output in black and white. Now I've modded my megadrive using the 3.57Mhz Oscillator to get the color out of it at 60hz, can i use the 4.433mhz to get a color picture out of the 32x somehow? If so where would I have to connect the signal thats coming out of the oscillator? Thanks a bunch :D