IGNORED

Wii U

It's a brand new console. The GamePad (the tablet with buttons) is just a controller. It does not connect to the original Wii in any way.

Think of it like a standard game system, but it has an extra Touch Screen, like a DS.

nintendo-wii-u-black.jpg?w=600&h=400&crop=1

Edited by Animan
  • Like 2

I had this confusion last year (based on articles that were confused).

But that was last year, and this is 3 months from launch. News stories still seem a bit confused.

I think that it could be an issue for some customers right up until they open the box.

Edited by Reaperman

It's understandable, considering Nintendo's hardly shown the console itself & instead decides to focus on the controller. Doesn't help that the console looks almost exactly like the current Wii, and shares almost exactly the same name. Poor decisions there, Nintendo.

• Like 1

It's understandable, considering Nintendo's hardly shown the console itself & instead decides to focus on the controller. Doesn't help that the console looks almost exactly like the current Wii, and shares almost exactly the same name. Poor decisions there, Nintendo.

Really strange since wii-u doesn't seem to share a lot of DNA with the old wii. The console looks similar (again, why?), but the mechanics of the games are so far from wii, that the name 'wii-u' seems silly. It's a nintendo for sure, but a wii it's not.

This is more or less what others have said...

Nintendo has failed to put enough focus on the actual console itself. The case design is much too similar to the existing Wii. General players aren't aware of the "limitations" of the original Wii hardware. The demos have shown many games that feature images with the same cartoon-y appearance and controllers that players have grown accustomed to the last few years. The same players aren't aware that the Wii would not be able to produce the visuals of Arkham City or Assassins Creed. Instead, focus has primarily been on the WiiU Gamepad. This has helped to foster the belief that this is an add-on and not an all-new product.

Nintendo should have started many of the E3 presentations introducing the console itself covering many of the improvements/specs and then presented the gamepad features. I think that Nintendo was listening to a few concerns, but somehow missed the fact that people see this as just another accessory.

The presentations show a lot of promise for the WiiU, but nearly all consoles have such wide open futures lying ahead of them. Some changes toward informing buyers need to be made.

Really strange since wii-u doesn't seem to share a lot of DNA with the old wii. The console looks similar (again, why?), but the mechanics of the games are so far from wii, that the name 'wii-u' seems silly. It's a nintendo for sure, but a wii it's not.

Well, it is going to be backwards compatible with Wii games, and all prior Wii accessories are going to be compatible as well.

• Like 2

If all they had to show for this game system is an updated New Super Mario Bros Wii game, I don't really have much high hopes for the Wii U. But really, how could Nintendo ever hope to top the Super Mario Galaxy series? I think this is really going to stump its creator so badly.

Well, it is going to be backwards compatible with Wii games, and all prior Wii accessories are going to be compatible as well.

This is true, and there might be some games with wiimote support, but I'd guess not too many. So far, it looks like the u-games are going for a totally different type of action. If they called the wii the gamecube-w it probably would have had similar confusion.

Did they re-mention the wii game and controller compatibility again this year? I didn't hear it, but I was too busy looking at prettier u-based things.

This is true, and there might be some games with wiimote support, but I'd guess not too many. So far, it looks like the u-games are going for a totally different type of action. If they called the wii the gamecube-w it probably would have had similar confusion.

For multiplayer games, according to Nintendo, you can bet on relying on the old Wii controls. :)

and it doesn't ease customer confusion one whit when you watch the promos and see the old wiimotes being used.i can perfectly understand why customers could and will be confused. every accessory is "wii" something:wii fit, wii balance board, wii speak, so why wouldn't they assume wii u is merely another accessory?

i think they should have brought back the nintendo entertainment system name. it has online play, movie streaming, maybe ebooks, the nes name is certainly more fitting now than it was then. make the console look retro, use the color scheme, and millions of people would be creaming their jeans to get their hands on this thing.

• Like 1

i think they should have brought back the nintendo entertainment system name. it has online play, movie streaming, maybe ebooks, the nes name is certainly more fitting now than it was then. make the console look retro, use the color scheme, and millions of people would be creaming their jeans to get their hands on this thing.

You know you might have something there!

You know you might have something there!

It would be a complete retro throwback, but I don't think it would help the confusion factor any better than it already is. Hell, it might actually make it worse! :lol:

It's a brand new console. The GamePad (the tablet with buttons) is just a controller. It does not connect to the original Wii in any way.

Think of it like a standard game system, but it has an extra Touch Screen, like a DS.

nintendo-wii-u-black.jpg?w=600&h=400&crop=1

From this picture, to me the Wii U looks like a date between a Sega GameGear and the original Wii. Only black.