IGNORED

Intellivision A/V Mods?

Draugr

8BitDomain (no longer in existence) produced a pre-assembled A/V mod kit, and there are a few free ones that you can build yourself. I've tried them, but to be honest, I don't care much for the quality of the output they provide: they introduce a certain amount of ghosting, and the overall image clarity isn't much of an improvement over the built-in RF, which is actually pretty good on the Intellivision if the RF modulator is in good shape.

There's a guy on this forum who has replied a couple of times that he can do these

mods but I forgot what his name is. Duh. If anybody gets any info and price on

this then please post it back in the thread.

I will try to find the info....

There's a guy on this forum who has replied a couple of times that he can do these

I believe you're thinking of Pimpmaul. Unfortunately he hasn't been around lately.

Pimpmaul69 is available to be commissioned to preform the AV mod on any Intellivision console. If you'll PM him, he will log on and respond. I have his pricing, but I'll defer and let him post it publicly if he chooses.

I sent a PM yesterday. I hope to hear back soon. I want to get my Intellivision modded in time for the D2K Arcade Collectors edition release.

I can do it for 30 us dollars plus shipping if interested. Sorry to not reply sooner. I have been moving and unpacking. Edited by pimpmaul69

I have the 8bit mod its better than RF but there is ghosting I have been waiting for someone to do a high quality mod.

I would be very interested also in a good design that is DIY as I have some consoles ready for experimenting on.

• Like 1

HARMIK,

Is the 8bit mod the only available Intellivision mod currently? If so, I may wait then to get my Intellivision modded as I hate ghosting and it would probably ruin the experience for me. Thanks for posting in this thread. I hope there is a better mod coming or that the ghosting problems don't happen on pimpmaul69's mod. I was going to get my Intellivision out this week and test it just to make sure it is still functioning 100%, then I was going to send it in for the mod.

John

Is the 8bit mod the only available Intellivision mod currently? If so, I may wait then to get my Intellivision modded as I hate ghosting and it would probably ruin the experience for me. Thanks for posting in this thread.

As far as I know, there are NO mods on the market, currently. The last one I know of was this one....

http://www.intellivision.us/video_mod/video_mod.php

......which is sold out. I asked the seller, and he has absolutely zero interest in producing another batch. If there is indeed some "8bit" mod, then can someone please post a link? Is this the "8bit domain" that is now defunct, and used to produce Atari console A/V mods, too?

I hope there is a better mod coming or that the ghosting problems don't happen on pimpmaul69's mod.

For goodness' sake, I hope there is no ghosting on any mod! I'd like to see another mod on the market, but those who are capable of creating and delivering mods and devices (INTV A/V mod, Cuttle Cart, etc) create a batch and get out of it. There must be good reason they quit. $$$?

Is this the "8bit domain" that is now defunct, and used to produce Atari console A/V mods, too?

Yes. I liked their Atari 5200 mod kit, but I found the others that I tried (their 2600, 7800, and Intellivision mods) to be mediocre.

I'd like to see another mod on the market, but those who are capable of creating and delivering mods and devices (INTV A/V mod, Cuttle Cart, etc) create a batch and get out of it. There must be good reason they quit. $$$?

There does seem to be a pretty high rate of turnover among producers of A/V mods for any classic system. From the little bit of work I've done in that area so far, I get the impression that it's a very stressful "market" to serve.

Even among fans of classic computers and consoles, hardly anyone is a "do-it-yourselfer" anymore, and hardly anyone is interested in learning the first thing about electronics. So, if you produce an A/V upgrade kit, you end up with a swarm of people wanting to send their crusty old consoles to you in the mail so you can install the upgrade for them. This involves lots of tedious and time-consuming labor which takes you away from more interesting projects, not to mention troubleshooting the console if it was broken en route (or broken before it was sent to you!), repacking the console with your own materials (because the owners hardly ever package their consoles properly), sending it back, dealing with all the potential shipping mishaps, etc. Then, when the owners get their consoles back, they find that the upgrade doesn't look right with their weird esoteric TV, or the console develops some other problem which is unrelated to the upgrade but which you get the blame for. Or, if the console owners assemble/install the mod kit themselves, they end up making some mistake along the way (bad soldering, wires not connected properly, etc). In either case, you end up spending your own time and energy trying to talk someone through troubleshooting the issue, and they usually don't even have a continuity tester or any of the other basic diagnostic tools they would need.

Nobody who has produced an A/V mod kit has ever charged enough money to deal with all these headaches, and I think that's the reason they quickly get burned out and exit the market.

• Like 2

Is this the "8bit domain" that is now defunct, and used to produce Atari console A/V mods, too?

Yes. I liked their Atari 5200 mod kit, but I found the others that I tried (their 2600, 7800, and Intellivision mods) to be mediocre.

I'd like to see another mod on the market, but those who are capable of creating and delivering mods and devices (INTV A/V mod, Cuttle Cart, etc) create a batch and get out of it. There must be good reason they quit. $$$?

There does seem to be a pretty high rate of turnover among producers of A/V mods for any classic system. From the little bit of work that I did in that area, I get the impression that it's a very stressful "market" to serve.

Even among fans of classic computers and consoles, hardly anyone is a "do-it-yourselfer" anymore, and hardly anyone is interested in learning the first thing about electronics. So, if you produce an A/V upgrade kit, you end up with a swarm of people wanting to send their crusty old consoles to you in the mail so you can install the upgrade for them. This involves lots of tedious and time-consuming labor which takes you away from more interesting projects, not to mention troubleshooting the console if it was broken en route (or broken before it was sent to you!), repacking the console with your own materials (because the owners hardly ever package their consoles properly), sending it back, dealing with all the potential shipping mishaps, etc. Then, when the owners get their consoles back, they find that the upgrade doesn't look right with their weird esoteric TV, or the console develops some other problem which is unrelated to the upgrade but which you get the blame for. Or, if the console owners assemble/install the mod kit themselves, they end up making some mistake along the way (bad soldering, wires not connected properly, etc). In either case, you end up spending your own time and energy trying to talk someone through troubleshooting the issue, and they usually don't even have a continuity tester or any of the other basic diagnostic tools they would need.

Nobody who has produced an A/V mod kit has ever charged enough money to deal with all these headaches, and I think that's the reason they quickly get burned out and exit the market.

Strangely I did not even consider sending away a console for someone else to work on, where is the fun in that?

I for one would be up to the challenge of having a go at modding my own consoles.

Is anyone aware of a good working design that can be made at home with parts from the local electronic shop?

• 2 years later...

Not sure if this is still active, but I'm looking to get my Intellivision modded, if pimpmaul69 is still active or if anyone else does this I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

i am still active but i no longer do repairs. There is another guy that does them and is in another av mod thread.