IGNORED

What is this lot worth?

killerkobra

Hello everyone

This might be a selfish first post for me but Ive been a member of NintendoAge and SegaAge for some time now. I have many game console but I still do not have an Atari 2600. I know a guy that is selling his collection but he wants $500 for it all. I would really really love to get an instant Atari collection but $500 seams really high to me and I have no idea what is rare and what is not. He says some of the items he is selling are from Sears which makes them more rare... again I have no Idea if that is true or not.

here are the pics of whats included. I would really love any input or advice on this

001-1.jpg

001.jpg

Is your intention to be a collector in the sense of just accumulating carts or in the sense of getting pristine examples with all original boxes/books etc?

For starters, that lot looks like a lot of the boxes are a bit tatty, so you're not exactly off to a great start if it's option B.

Are those pics of the same games or is it seperate piles with duplicates? I'm not sure what the going rate is but for a bulk lot of common stuff you're probably talking an overall average of 2-3 bucks a cart.

Personally, I'd give it a miss. You could probably accumulate an equivalent collection over time and spend half that amount.

Way to much if you consider that none of those are rare games... figure $2-$3 per boxed game... there is about 60 there... Average that out to about $145 or so. The system.. depends on how complete. It light two sixer, and those are pretty common. The box adds some value. I'd say about $180 for this lot, tops, and even that is a bit high.

Edited by cybercylon

I know this is off topic but to the OP (or anyone else who read it). How was that book that's pictured in your avatar?

Dude this book blew my freaking mind, the less you know about it before you read it the better. One of the reasons why I have become so interested in video games prior to Nintendo NES and the Sega Master System.

thanks for all the help everyone. I know where I stand now with this lot.

There are lots of common boxes in there that you will get over and over again in other lots. A quick glance and I saw three Defender's, two Seaquest's, two Donkey Kong's, two Circus Atari's, two Super Breakout's, and so on. At $500 he either really has no idea of the value or really is hoping to get a steal. Either way don't bite. I wouldn't pay over $80 for this, and would only feel comfortable picking it up for about $60. I say $60 because at least there is a game console included, and Zellers box (one of the easier ones to get), and some type of video storage unit. The 32 in 1 is not rare, just the box for it is (and the 32 in 1 cart is also PAL).

To me I look at a lot like this and it just looks like a burden. I know I will get all these boxes again trying to get rarer boxes, so it just ends up being more junk that sits around or stuff that I will have eventually sell. Not everyone likes to take a lot of parcels down to the post office! It also pains me to see them stacked up like that crushing the boxes too.

You should ask him if he knows anyone that has some more Zellers boxes. Mmmmm, Zellers boxes. :lust:

I look at it this way, do you want to buy something someone else keeps stacked on the floor? There's a couple rarer (but not exactly rare) games in the pile but I don't want piled games myself, whatever the cost. Rampage and Popeye can go for a decent amount, $69 and $20 respectively if complete.

I suggest buying games individually. If you're willing to be patient you'll often get them in better condition and you won't be be burdened with a lot of duplicates. And as far as the console goes, I paid $65 for my 2600 and it's an original 1977 Heavy Sixer in great condition.

Edited by WSGEXE

For around $100 you should be able to get a console with controllers and a bunch of common games (100 different ones should be possible, though maybe no boxes), but to do so you might need to search fleas, yard sales, craigslist and wait for the right opportunity. Double that for ebay and more immediate response.

at least in the US...