IGNORED

Cmart and Rev's Top 30 Intellivision Variations

cmart604

Rev and I have been discussing this for months and here, finally, is our Top 30 Intellivision variations. These aren't necessarily the most expensive or the rarest, although some are, but just the ones that we feel are the most interesting and collectible. Some of these aren't too hard to find, a few are near impossible to get your hands on though. Some you may be aware of, some you may never have seen before (or wondered, "Why the hell do these guys bother collecting all this crap?") :lolblue:

By my most recent count I think there are more than 500 different Intellivision boxes to collect, including a bunch of language variations. Thank God, or what would Rev and I do with our time now that we have the Original 125. :P There are quite a few that we discussed that didn't make the list and easily could have been added. Feel free to bring up any you can think of, or are wondering about. That's the point of this thread, particularly for those that are newer to collecting for the Intellivision, just so you know what you've got yourself into. :-D Enjoy, and discuss. (this will take a few posts for me to add all the pics so bear with me).

30) All Bandai Games - seriously, those instructions are cool. :love: post-25458-0-01483200-1339298842_thumb.jpg

29) UK CBS Blue Monster Ladybug - not quite sure I remember seeing that in the game, but who cares, that's awesome! (I have both an English and a French version, can't remember if there is a German one? Intymike would probably know) post-25458-0-32257900-1339298793_thumb.jpg

28) Dig Dug with "1 or 2 players" notation on the front - I've only come across one copy, all the rest have "1 player" post-25458-0-33852300-1339298818_thumb.jpg

27) Intellivision Inc Math Fun and Chess (without "Electric Company" and "USCF" qualifiers) (Math Fun is a reddish box instead of the original Mattel one in light orange) post-25458-0-86689600-1339298741_thumb.jpg

26) 3 French Canadian Bilingual Intellivoice Games (There's not a Tron Solar Sailer version, and sadly, I'm missing Space Spartans - If you have it, you know who to PM) Cool white banner added to top right corner post-25458-0-88517500-1339298766_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

25) 3 of the 4 White International Games (Burgertime, Vectron and Mission X - ***spoiler*** - the other one will show up later) - not super hard to find but you'll usually have to buy them from Europe. post-25458-0-93291300-1339299740_thumb.jpg

24) Digiplay Labirinthos E Dragoes (AD&D Cloudy Mountain) - some many great Digiplay boxes, this is one of the best post-25458-0-21416000-1339299791_thumb.jpg

23) Intellivision Inc version of Pac Man - Centipede and Defender did not get this treatment post-25458-0-32265600-1339299599_thumb.jpg

22) French Canadian Sharp Shot/Tireur D'elite - possibly the hardest to find of the regular Mattel issues (from the Network games) post-25458-0-69677100-1339299635_thumb.jpg

21) UK CBS Venture with Blue Monster - similiar to LadyBug above, very cool artwork (I'm not aware of a French or German version of this) post-25458-0-82370300-1339299766_thumb.jpg

Edited by cmart604
  • Like 3

20) Light Blue Intellivision Inc He Man Masters of the Universe - the regular issue is navy blue, this one is very hard to find post-25458-0-08885200-1339300174_thumb.jpg

19) Astrosmash with contest stickers (3 versions) - you may not have seen these, two have the French Canadian bilingual stickers, and one is the US version. Obviously these were from the contest BITD post-25458-0-31121500-1339300087_thumb.jpg

18) CBS Donkey Kong with angry Kong and silver barrels - (There is an English and a German version) (Intymike will not sell me his German one! :_( ) Will this be the only DK to show on this list?? post-25458-0-24153600-1339300139_thumb.jpg

17) RED Action Network Space Armada - the red Action Network Space Battle is fairly common, but the Action Network Space Armada is very hard to find (these were moved to the Space Network later on) post-25458-0-90985400-1339300061_thumb.jpg

16) French Canadian Parker Bros Popeye - second hardest to find, mine could clearly use upgrading post-25458-0-57773600-1339300112_thumb.jpg

Edited by cmart604
  • Like 3

15) Digiplay Poker and Blackjack - unlike in North America, Triple Action and Pitfall were the pack-ins on the two Digiplay systems releases in Brazil. As a result, not too many people bought this game which is the most common INTV game. Very difficult to find. post-25458-0-13569300-1339300967_thumb.jpg

14) Draughts (UK/Australian PAL version of Checkers) - Not impossible to find, but a cool variation nonetheless post-25458-0-23176800-1339300887_thumb.jpg

13) French Canadian gatefold Mission X and Vectron - neither of these got the bilingual title treatment like two other games we'll see later, but man are these tough to find post-25458-0-09962800-1339300596_thumb.jpg

12) Sears Checkers/Snafu/Backgammon - Checkers is probably the toughest to find, but all three aren't easy ( I need to upgrade all of mine) post-25458-0-55252500-1339300913_thumb.jpg

11) Digiplay Brincando Com A Matematica (Math Fun) - in my mind the rarest of all the Digiplay games (but not the last we'll see on this list) (my copy is quite beaten up, I'm on the lookout for a better one) post-25458-0-59652200-1339300942_thumb.jpg

Edited by cmart604
  • Like 4

10) French box sleeve variations (two shown, there are another half dozen or so) - weird after the fact cover likely to get around Canadian bilingual packaging rules post-25458-0-79280400-1339301285_thumb.jpg

9) Spiker in a sealed bag - late in the life of the INTV, as the packaging ran out, and the company looked for cheap ways to package and ship, they sent some games out like this. There are actually two versions of this, the other has the VOLLEYBALL cart without Spiker in the title. post-25458-0-10904600-1339301358_thumb.jpg

8 ) French Canadian bilingual Les Bombardiers Bourdonnants (Buzz Bombers) and L'Heure du Burger (Burgertime) - top 5 coolest names, two are better and are still to come. These are also gatefolds, but unlike Mission X and Vectron, they received the bilingual two title treatment post-25458-0-68519800-1339301260_thumb.jpg

7) Australian Donkey Kong Clamshell - Rev and I discovered this last year and were both lucky enough to get our hands on one each. I wonder if Carnival received the same treatment? post-25458-0-78390500-1339301311_thumb.jpg

6) Digiplay Tron Discos Mortais (Tron Deadly Discs) - I'm not sure if I prefer this as the coolest Intellivision game title or number three...either way, this is an awesome box. These Digiplay boxes feel very different than the Mattel ones, they have an almost waxy feel to them and are more substantial feeling, although ironically, tend not to hold up very well, either that or the Brazilians just beat the crap out of their game boxes. :D post-25458-0-82207400-1339301336_thumb.jpg

On to the top 5...

Edited by cmart604
  • Like 3

5) White International Les Requins/Shark!Shark! - this one is somehow cooler than the other three, and also is usually the most expensive to buy post-25458-0-78123100-1339302126_thumb.jpg

4) French Canadian Parker Bros Super Cobra - this is one that I don't have, and may never get. This likely is the toughest on the whole list to find. post-25458-0-23052700-1339302200_thumb.jpg

3) Digiplay Desafio Estelar (Dreadnaught Factor) - an already cool box design made cooler by an awesome title translation. Hard to find, but not impossible. post-25458-0-20561600-1339302196_thumb.jpg

2) French Canadian and CBS International versions of Turbo - the French one is verrrry hard to find, and thankfully Rev recently found one so I don't have to listen to him whining about mine anymore :grin: The CBS one is usually one you can find on European ebays, but isn't likely to be cheap post-25458-0-87484000-1339302089_thumb.jpg

and finally, the number 1 coolest, bestest, most awesome-est Intellivision variation according to Rev and Cmart.....

1) Intellivision Inc Super Series Baseball - take a rare game and have the title licensing expire late in the life of an already short production run and what do you get? A very hard to find and very cool Intellivision variation. I still kick myself for the number of times I passed this over years ago when I wasn't collecting variations as hardcore as I am now, it ended up costing me dearly late last year. post-25458-0-41527100-1339302150_thumb.jpgpost-25458-0-07324600-1339302173_thumb.jpg

I hope you like our little presentation and I want to hear what you think should be on this list. :thumbsup:

Edited by cmart604
  • Like 4

I'm speechless. Awesome collection. Thank you for sharing this brother.

If I didn't have so many damn hobbies, I might be able to party with a few of you extreme collectors here.

If you lived closer to Houston, I'd offer to properly photographically catalog your collection.

I'm speechless. Awesome collection. Thank you for sharing this brother.

If I didn't have so many damn hobbies, I might be able to party with a few of you extreme collectors here.

If you lived closer to Houston, I'd offer to properly photographically catalog your collection.

Thanks RR! I'm really happy with this thread, it was a lot of work to put together and a long time coming. I kept losing the revised version of the list in my 100 page PM with Rev and IntellivisionDude and would have to search through our bloody long conversation to find the latest revision as Rev and I made changes. While my wife is pretty great about leaving me to my hobbies, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be thrilled with me flying you up to Vancouver to take fantastic photos of my collection. Lol! :) thanks for the offer though, my flash filled pics aren't ideal.

Edited by cmart604
  • Like 1

Pics are good brother. :thumbsup:

I assume you are using a P&S? Which brand / model are you using?

Those freaking boxes of yours are pissing me off a bit to be honest. Damn things are in pristine condition.

I'm trying to talk my son into letting me unload his MERV and all our hop-up's. If I can swing that, I just might use those funds to make a run at you two hoarders...

Make us a thread filled with pics of all your various systems please. :)

Does this auction have the Space Spartans variation that you are looking for?

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2709953749641?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270995374964&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Cool variation listing!

Not now! ;) Wow, what are the odds of that? Thanks for the heads up Fushek, much appreciated. Normally I don't go that long without looking at ebay but I guess I've been busy the last few hours and missed this getting posted. Weird. This game comes up infrequently, it's not terribly expensive usually, but I haven't seen one for a while and it's one of those weird ones that's eluded me. Unbelievably, I think the last bilingual Mattel game I need is now PGA Golf/Le Golf PGA.

Thanks for the props! :thumbsup:

By the way, congrats on your last batch of sealed games, you got some crazy prices on some of them, particularly Word Fun. :-o

Pics are good brother. :thumbsup:

I assume you are using a P&S? Which brand / model are you using?

Those freaking boxes of yours are pissing me off a bit to be honest. Damn things are in pristine condition.

I'm trying to talk my son into letting me unload his MERV and all our hop-up's. If I can swing that, I just might use those funds to make a run at you two hoarders...

Make us a thread filled with pics of all your various systems please. :)

Yup, just an older Sony Cyber Shot 10.1MP that I have to set the pics at small image size so that I don't exceed the 2MB limit on posting pics on AA. I don't use any hosted pic site where I'm sure I could store much better quality pics and I actually have a decent Canon SLR which takes better pics than an idiot like me should be able to take.

The CIB hardware thread will be an absolute bitch to do, there are at least 40 different CIB variations to shoot. I'm not looking forward to that. :-D

1. Yes, I own a german Lady Bug box in this style. But the variation craziness goes deeper: when I bought my first Lady Bug back in the 80s it was this box as the english version. Inside it was complete german: manual, warranty card, catalog, cartridge.

2. Sorry, I own only the english version of Venture. Never seen a german version. But it´s still shrinkwrapped, maybe it´s like Lady Bug all german inside? Who knows?

3. Sorry, I can´t sell you my Donkey Kong, it ´s the only one of this version I own (and the one I bought in the 80s, you know, sweet memories).

How deep will you go with the variations anyway? As I looked over my spare games a few days ago, I discovered that I own Triple Action with 3 different german manuals. Other games have at least 2 different versions.

You have a DSLR and you're still using your P&S?

That is blasphemy !!!

Yah, it's a pretty good camera, but I've been too lazy to figure out where to host the pics so I just use the P&S to get the images small enough for the AA 2MB limit. :P

1. Yes, I own a german Lady Bug box in this style. But the variation craziness goes deeper: when I bought my first Lady Bug back in the 80s it was this box as the english version. Inside it was complete german: manual, warranty card, catalog, cartridge.

2. Sorry, I own only the english version of Venture. Never seen a german version. But it´s still shrinkwrapped, maybe it´s like Lady Bug all german inside? Who knows?

3. Sorry, I can´t sell you my Donkey Kong, it ´s the only one of this version I own (and the one I bought in the 80s, you know, sweet memories).

How deep will you go with the variations anyway? As I looked over my spare games a few days ago, I discovered that I own Triple Action with 3 different german manuals. Other games have at least 2 different versions.

Cool! I'd love to see pics of that Lady Bug and the manuals and catalog, which is now on my want list, along with German Angry DK, and German DK JR.

I know you can't sell me your DK, but like Rev whining about my French Canadian Turbo until he got one, I'll probably do the same with this until I get one. :rolling:

Edited by cmart604

Triple Action is (as I know so far) the only game from any Intellivision Network that could come with a international manual.

You are correct. I have a couple of the international multi-language ones but need both of those German ones. Rev and I actually debated including both the International one and the French Canadian bilingual one, which, along with Tron Mazeatron, are the two hardest of the 7 or 8 French Canadian Mattel Network games that don't have a bilingual title.

But, since the international one is just a manual variation, we didn't bother.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2709953749641?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=270995374964&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Cool variation listing!

Not now! ;) Wow, what are the odds of that? Thanks for the heads up Fushek, much appreciated. Normally I don't go that long without looking at ebay but I guess I've been busy the last few hours and missed this getting posted. Weird. This game comes up infrequently, it's not terribly expensive usually, but I haven't seen one for a while and it's one of those weird ones that's eluded me. Unbelievably, I think the last bilingual Mattel game I need is now PGA Golf/Le Golf PGA.

By the way, congrats on your last batch of sealed games, you got some crazy prices on some of them, particularly Word Fun. :-o

Glad you got it! Actually saw the auction before I saw your thread and thought that one looked odd (not to mention a nice INTV III with original packing!)

And thanks for the props on my games ... that was crazy on the Word Fun especially since I mentioned the crushing of the box in the back. Is the game that hard to find sealed?

7) Australian Donkey Kong Clamshell - Rev and I discovered this last year WITH HELP FROM INTELLIVISIONDUDE and were both lucky enough to get our hands on one each. I wonder if Carnival received the same treatment? post-25458-0-78390500-1339301311_thumb.jpg

Fixed. :-D

Lol! Truth. :)

Cool variation listing!

Glad you got it! Actually saw the auction before I saw your thread and thought that one looked odd (not to mention a nice INTV III with original packing!)

And thanks for the props on my games ... that was crazy on the Word Fun especially since I mentioned the crushing of the box in the back. Is the game that hard to find sealed?

The original US version is hard to find sealed but I just don't think it warrants that much of a premium. Yay you!

Edited by cmart604