IGNORED

Really struggling with WinVice MLM. (Read Frustrated!)

Hi,

I'm kind of working through the Butterfield C64 ML book.

The instructions say to type ".M 1000 1010" (notice the period before the "M") to see all of these memory locations between these locations.

From what I can tell the built in MLM for WinVice uses "M 1000 1010" (notice no period before the "M") with no period. (pg. 17 in Butterfield C64 ML Book).

Secondly, he says to just cursor up to the memory location that I want to change and hit return, but in the MLM in WinVice, it cannot be done this way. It has more of a "doskey" effect when you cursor up.

Basically, is there a different MLM I should be using with WinVice or is there a definitive guide for the MLM included with WinVice?

Lastly, where can I buy a native MLM cartridge for either my VIC20 or C64?

Thanks loads!

Any help is really appreciated.

JR

I'm kind of working through the Butterfield C64 ML book.

The instructions say to type ".M 1000 1010" (notice the period before the "M") to see all of these memory locations between these locations.

From what I can tell the built in MLM for WinVice uses "M 1000 1010" (notice no period before the "M") with no period. (pg. 17 in Butterfield C64 ML Book).

The fullstop prefix is fairly uncommon, most monitors use the format WinVICE has adopted.

Secondly, he says to just cursor up to the memory location that I want to change and hit return, but in the MLM in WinVice, it cannot be done this way. It has more of a "doskey" effect when you cursor up.

Remember how i said the VICE monitor wasn't particularly comfortable...?

Basically, is there a different MLM I should be using with WinVice or is there a definitive guide for the MLM included with WinVice?

If you want to stick to the letter of the book down to the full stops, you'll need to use the monitor recommended by the book because i'm not aware of anything else with that particular quirk. After that there's loads of other options but the best are the ones supplied by freezer cartridges which can be mounted in VICE. Here's a link to a page with Action Replay downloads, you'll want the Action_Replay_binaries_rr.c64.org_2011-03.rar link, need to mount it from VICE's File menu and make sure to select PAL or NTSC depending on which territory VICE is configured to emulate (it defaults to PAL so you're probably working with an emulated European machine) because there's a difference between PAL and NTSC C64s that needs to be allowed for in code - the AR only goes up to version 5 in NTSC, but version 6 pretty much just adds an extra notice that's pretty much just there to cover Datel's arse legally in the UK.

i've never found a decent command guide to the WinVICE monitor.

Lastly, where can I buy a native MLM cartridge for either my VIC20 or C64?

For the C64, there's nothing new on sale that i'm aware of but the Turbo Chameleon and 1541 Ultimate 2 can both act as an Action or Retro Replay (and again, buy based on territory, the Retro Replay runs on either machine but hen's teeth are more common so you'll need an NTSC Action Replay 5 rather than a PAL AR6 unless you've imported a PAL C64). After that it's eBay and that's the first stopping point for the VIC, looking for the official Commodore one or perhaps HESMon in that particular case and i've never used either to recommend them.

If you want to stick to the letter of the book down to the full stops, you'll need to use the monitor recommended by the book because i'm not aware of anything else with that particular quirk. After that there's loads of other options but the best are the ones supplied by freezer cartridges which can be mounted in VICE. Here's a link to a page with Action Replay downloads, you'll want the Action_Replay_binaries_rr.c64.org_2011-03.rar link, need to mount it from VICE's File menu and make sure to select PAL or NTSC depending on which territory VICE is configured to emulate (it defaults to PAL so you're probably working with an emulated European machine) because there's a difference between PAL and NTSC C64s that needs to be allowed for in code - the AR only goes up to version 5 in NTSC, but version 6 pretty much just adds an extra notice that's pretty much just there to cover Datel's arse legally in the UK.

i've never found a decent command guide to the WinVICE monitor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JR:

Thanks TMR, I thought you would be the one to answer! ;)

I'll try the AR, it sounds like it has a MLM option, right?

Hey, when you used to code for the C64, you said you did so on the machine itself, right? So did you just used the 1541 Ultimate 2 and mount up your favorite MLM within it?

I'm TRYING to get my mind around all this, trust me, I'm not overly stupid, but this stuff can make you feel that way! :-D

JR

When the cartridge boots it throws up a start-up screen, F7 from there gets it to fastload (the original power-up message is joined by a Datel copyright notice) and either the command MON or the F8 key bring up the monitor.

Hey, when you used to code for the C64, you said you did so on the machine itself, right? So did you just used the 1541 Ultimate 2 and mount up your favorite MLM within it?

Well, i still code on the C64 now, but exclusively cross assembling on a Windows box, doing everyday testing in VICE with periodical "metal" tests on a C64C with a Turbo Chameleon. The 1541 Ultimate or Chameleon would've just been deranged fantasies when i started coding, that was about 1983 and i was hand assembling for the VIC (writing the code out on paper, converting it manually into decimal and POKEing each byte into RAM by hand, that's why i still remember some of the opcodes in decimal).

When i got a C64 i switched to the Zeus 64 assembler which has it's own monitor, migrated to the monitor in an Expert cartridge about six months later and i only stopped programming using native tools in 2001; at that point i was still using Zeus but had modified it for 2MHz assembly on my C128D, added a serial link to transfer object code to a second machine for safe testing and disabled the built-in monitor so i could use the superior Action Replay 6 one.

When the cartridge boots it throws up a start-up screen, F7 from there gets it to fastload (the original power-up message is joined by a Datel copyright notice) and either the command MON or the F8 key bring up the monitor.

Well, i still code on the C64 now, but exclusively cross assembling on a Windows box, doing everyday testing in VICE with periodical "metal" tests on a C64C with a Turbo Chameleon. The 1541 Ultimate or Chameleon would've just been deranged fantasies when i started coding, that was about 1983 and i was hand assembling for the VIC (writing the code out on paper, converting it manually into decimal and POKEing each byte into RAM by hand, that's why i still remember some of the opcodes in decimal).

When i got a C64 i switched to the Zeus 64 assembler which has it's own monitor, migrated to the monitor in an Expert cartridge about six months later and i only stopped programming using native tools in 2001; at that point i was still using Zeus but had modified it for 2MHz assembly on my C128D, added a serial link to transfer object code to a second machine for safe testing and disabled the built-in monitor so i could use the superior Action Replay 6 one.

Cool, I'm gonna use the AR6 that you directed me to, thanks! And thanks for directions on how to use it once it boots up!.

TMR,

It works perfectly. The AR5 (used AR5 NTSC) worked amazingly well!

Thanks for all of your help, I am now back on track working through Butterfield's "Machine Language for the Commodore 64".

EVERYONE, just so you know TMR is officially the man!!! :-D

JR