IGNORED

Best emulators?

In the spirt of the 'best emulators for consoles' that is in the Emulation thread, how about starting one here with the best emulators for computers that are made for Mac/Windowss systems?

Be interested in hearing what people think are the best emulators for C64, TI-99, Atari, Apple, and so on.....

Vice is very good for various Commodore 8-bits: C64, C128, Vic20, plus4, and several PET models.

VICE is fairly close to accurate for the C64, decent for the PET and CBM machines, reasonable for the VIC 20 but still playing catch up for the C128 and particularly the 264 series - there's lots of split screen vertical scrollers with hideous shudder. The Plus/4 is better served by YAPE (Yet Another Plus/4 Emulator).

There are several Apple II emulators for the Mac: OSXII, Catakig, AppleIIGo, JACE, OpenEmulator and Virtual II. The best one of them, IMHO, is Virtual II. For the Apple IIGS there is: Bernie to the Rescue, iGS, KEGS, KEGS-OSX and Sweet 16. The best of these, again IMHO, is Sweet 16. Of course you can also use the GS emulators to run regular Apple II software.

C64: Vice

Amiga: UAE

Apple II: Kegs

68K Mac: Basilisk II

PPC Mac: SheepShaver

MS-DOS: Dosbox

MS-Windows: Virtualbox.

Have not actually had a reason to use an A800 or ST emulator yet. Any clue what's good for this on UNIX? I wonder if I can network an emulated MIDI Maze with my real ST through my PC's MIDI port.

C64: Vice

Amiga: UAE

Apple II: Kegs

68K Mac: Basilisk II

PPC Mac: SheepShaver

MS-DOS: Dosbox

MS-Windows: Virtualbox.

Have not actually had a reason to use an A800 or ST emulator yet. Any clue what's good for this on UNIX? I wonder if I can network an emulated MIDI Maze with my real ST through my PC's MIDI port.

I *think* Hatari or Aranym for ST?