IGNORED

Best Use For a 32x

genesisguy

So I picked one up finally. Having owned a Genesis since 1991 I figured it was about time I got one. Now I'm new to the 32x library but right off the bat I've noticed this thing makes my Genesis games look much better. Gone are all the rainbow bands and verticle bars on certain blues and blacks. Anyone use one at all times? I'm thinking about just leaving this sucker in my Genesis at all times.

Yeah, they are cool. The best use is buy an Everdrive multicart, leave the 32X and multicart plugged in at all times, and enjoy almost the entire Genesis/32X/SMS library without ever having to switch a cart. The only thing that doesn't work with the 32X is the Genesis version of Virtua Racing, because than includes a chip that is similar to the 32X and they don't get along. With the Everdrive you can always play the 32X Virtua Racing Deluxe, which is the better version anyway.

• Like 1

Yeah, they are cool. The best use is buy an Everdrive multicart, leave the 32X and multicart plugged in at all times, and enjoy almost the entire Genesis/32X/SMS library without ever having to switch a cart. The only thing that doesn't work with the 32X is the Genesis version of Virtua Racing, because than includes a chip that is similar to the 32X and they don't get along. With the Everdrive you can always play the 32X Virtua Racing Deluxe, which is the better version anyway.

Ha! I could not have said it better, myself! I have the same hardware. The Genesis version of Virtua Racing is respectable - to be sure. However, the 32X version - fortunately - pretty much the same thing with better graphics. So you're not missing anything. The 32X version of Virtua Racing is - strangely enough - the best home port of the title. The Saturn version was "outsourced" to whoever (I had it and was aghast at how bad it sucked). As I vaguely recall, the graphics sucked, the control sucked, and the disc loading times were atrociously long and obnoxiously frequent.

All-together, the 32x is still a bit of a clutter. Flashcart does bring out the best in it easily, as akator said!

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 1

I guess there is the clutter aspect to the 32x. The extra power adaptor is a little anoying. Do the rest of you unplug your adaptors when you aren't playing on the consoles. I used to leave them plugged in all the time as a kid but I figure it's best to unplug them these days.

I guess there is the clutter aspect to the 32x. The extra power adaptor is a little anoying. Do the rest of you unplug your adaptors when you aren't playing on the consoles. I used to leave them plugged in all the time as a kid but I figure it's best to unplug them these days.

If you don't want that enormous power brick taking up room, I would highly recommend the GameCube power mod that Golden Ax does. He made one for me and it saves a ton of space behind the TV.

And on the subject of great mods and "best use for a 32X" may I also recommend Mr Mark and Beaglepuss'es reproduction of DarXide that works on a North American 32x. Sure, the game may not be the greatest in the world but at a fraction of the price it sells for on eBay and for the ability to play it on original North American hardware, it gets my thumbs up. I love it!

Yeah, I unplug them these days. As a kid though, I would leave them plugged in, too.

All of my consoles on a shelf are plugged into their own outlet strip (one shelf is Genesis/32X/Sega CD, another is Saturn/PSX/Dreamcast, etc.). When I'm finished gaming, all of the system are turned off then the power strip is turned off. This prevents "vampire power drain" and the hassle of unplugging/replugging things, tangled cords, whatever. At only $4 each from the hardware store, the power strips were a fairly cheap investment to make life much easier and keep things organized.

Edited by akator

I like the powerstrip idea. My TV is currently hooked up to the powerstrip my adaptors go in and when I flip the switch the TV makes a weird noise, so I try not to do that too ften. I don't know why I'm in such a preservationist mood. Must be from listening to the Implant Games Podcast all weekend!

• Like 1

Yeah, they are cool. The best use is buy an Everdrive multicart, leave the 32X and multicart plugged in at all times, and enjoy almost the entire Genesis/32X/SMS library without ever having to switch a cart.

Wouldn't this take some modification? I thought the 32x didn't allow SMS pass-through.

Yeah, they are cool. The best use is buy an Everdrive multicart, leave the 32X and multicart plugged in at all times, and enjoy almost the entire Genesis/32X/SMS library without ever having to switch a cart.

Wouldn't this take some modification? I thought the 32x didn't allow SMS pass-through.

You're right, it doesn't. I overstated. I have 2 systems set up: (1) a Genesis Model 2/Sega CD Model 2/32X, and (2) a Genesis Model 1 "High Definition." That way I can just switch the multicart without unplugging the 32X. I can also run the Genesis version of Virtua Racing just by using the Model 1 and without unplugging the 32X.

Most of the time, the Everdrive sits in the 32X. It's only when I'm on a Master System kick that it gets switched over.

I've also got an old Radio Shack powered RF 5-input/3-output switchbox that I picked up here on Atari Age. That gives me many options including displaying the same system on 2 TVs with output for recording or displaying 2 different systems on different TVs with selectable output for which to record. The "VCR" cable goes to a video input card on a computer.

Nice setup! I'd like to do a similar setup, but with s-video & composite from each system (for those few games that look better with a little composite blur).

I gotta find more on that SMS-enabling mod for the 32x for when I finally get around to making a Neptune...

• Like 1

Nice setup! I'd like to do a similar setup, but with s-video & composite from each system (for those few games that look better with a little composite blur).

I gotta find more on that SMS-enabling mod for the 32x for when I finally get around to making a Neptune...

Agreed, I would love to do the S-Video/Composite mods as well... perhaps one day. I have the RCA output cables (which improves the output somewhat), but do not yet have an RCA switchbox to make things manageable between all of the systems. Again... perhaps one day ;)

For now, the RF output through the switchbox is actually pretty good. It could obviously be improved, but it's still not bad enough that modding things or buying more stuff is a priority...

Hey Rex, would this be something where by you hack a 32x module or would it be something you can just plug into a 32x? I'd like to play SMS games without needing to unplug my 32x but I'd rather not hack open the 32x just for the priviledge.

I'm not 100% sure (all related sites are blocked from where I'm at), but I'm pretty certain that you'd need to open up the 32X itself and add in a few missing connections. Again, not totally certain, but I doubt it can be done with an add-on adapter.

I'd say the best use for a 32X is to make mad money from the prices I see on EBay.

I want one, but I can't pay what people ask on EBAY for it, and usually you don't even get AC,A/V hookups with it.

For what most people call a piece of shit, it's an expensive piece of shit.

I got a 32x from someone here in the Marketplace and although I've only had a couple of hours to use it, I was quite happy with it overall. While there are not a ton of games for the 32x, the ones available seems pretty good (I only have Star wars arcade at this time)

But the biggest surprise is how clean the screen is when compared to my regular Genny 2 model. I had it setup originally with the AV cords and while it looked good... I did notice some interference or distortion in the picture... Slap on the 32x and the same game is much cleaner. I'm happy with it!

• Like 1