IGNORED

Z80 Basic compiler experiences with the Aquarius?

Mr. Pong

As I have seen people here with amazing Assembler skills, but mine stop at the Basic language for the moment, I was wondering If someone can tell me if the Basic compiler form the Z80 is of any use for the Aquarius computer? Basic compiling should make the Basic program a bit quicker than using the standard basic interpreter or not?

For the Z80 I found this one, but before buying me a license I want to be sure it is usefull for making Aquarius programs.

http://www.oshonsoft.com/z80.html

Can anybody help me with this issue?

Regards,

Just had a quick look and I can't find a section for targetting the system at new hardware, which in this case would be the Aquarius. Normally you'll need to know some assembler so that you can fill in a template file (from the product supplier) that gets information from the keyboard and allows writes to the screen. Without either of those abilities you won't be making interactive BASIC programs that can run native on the machine. You might also need to write an external program that appends data to or modifies the BASIC compilers final binary file into something that can be loaded by the Aquarius "operating system" from tape.

It appears that you can download an evaluation version so maybe you should do that and then take a look at what is supplied.

Just had a quick look and I can't find a section for targetting the system at new hardware, which in this case would be the Aquarius. Normally you'll need to know some assembler so that you can fill in a template file (from the product supplier) that gets information from the keyboard and allows writes to the screen. Without either of those abilities you won't be making interactive BASIC programs that can run native on the machine. You might also need to write an external program that appends data to or modifies the BASIC compilers final binary file into something that can be loaded by the Aquarius "operating system" from tape.

It appears that you can download an evaluation version so maybe you should do that and then take a look at what is supplied.

Thank you very much for your help. I will download the evaluation version to see if it is of any use to me!

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your help. I will download the evaluation version to see if it is of any use to me!

No probs! My Z80 is very rusty (its a been a long time since I did anything with that processor) but there are several Aquarius programmers on AA. So we should be able to get you going or point you in the right direction.

BASIC is built in. As of now there is no way to convert BASIC programs into binaries that launch just like a cartridge. As mentioned, although z80 compilers exists none have support for Aquarius hardware.

Someone had a very good start on porting ZXBasic to the Sega Master System:

http://www.boriel.co...x.php/Main_Page

If you knew python and a little asm you could take someone elses WLA-Z80 compatible Aquarius assembly library and make your own "port" of ZXBasic.

Edited by theloon
  • Like 1

BASIC is built in. As of now there is no way to convert BASIC programs into binaries that launch just like a cartridge. As mentioned, although z80 compilers exists none have support for Aquarius hardware.

The OP was looking at a 3rd party compilable BASIC. The Aquarius built in BASIC wouldn't be used apart from to load the game binary (if supplied on tape).