IGNORED

price of homebrew game

Please bear with me about this topic.

Previous intellivision game was 50$ for a CIB version. Dk2 is 50$ for cart and manual which i found a little expensive. I just put my order in.

I understand the amount of work that it take to create a game, especialy with new cart.

I just hope that price will go done at one point.

This is my personnal opinion and it is not to slash people but to tell how i feel about that.

Dont worry i will always be there to support.

Am‘I the only one thinking like that

D2K comes with a premium gatefold box, a new shell, and a large cartridge sticker. It isn't like the other Intellivision releases.

We pay our programmers. We don't use recycled material in our boxed releases.

We do appreciate the support.

However, consider that the numbers we sell are low for a new video game. We aren't selling huge quantities. This game is similarly priced to other new video games. It is similarly priced to other 'homebrew' on this very website.

My mother would not buy my game at any price.....I couldn't GIVE my game away to many people. The people who want our game either want it or not.

We would love to give you a gatefold box, brand new, newly designed shell...full colour manual.....AND pay our programmers....and ourselves, and do it for 50 bucks...but the numbers don't add up. We need a certain level of support.

I do hope to get our numbers up so that eventually older releases sell for less than new releases. This all depends on if there is the market we thought there was for new Intellivision games, and that will determine if we move on to newer systems or continue to support the Intellivision.

All I will say is this. I just received a pm on AA from wonder007. I wanted to be put down for a copy of Charlie brown on Atari 2600 . The cib price for it is 100 of I remember right. This is in a recycled shell a normal box and no overlay. Plus it was a prototype and there was probably little to no programming involved. See my point? I think d2k boxed version may come in at around 75? Just a guess...needless to say I'm not getting Charlie brown. Also last year I bought the Atari reprod of Wing war and sky patrol for 75 a piece. I think d2k is well worth the price of admission as I doubt I would ever play Charlie brown.... And I never played those two imagic repros... I rest my case

I do hope to get our numbers up so that eventually older releases sell for less than new releases. This all depends on if there is the market we thought there was for new Intellivision games, and that will determine if we move on to newer systems or continue to support the Intellivision.

I've seen a lot of posts discussing the financial aspects of the homebrew market and it seems to me that much of the issue is in the start-up costs involved. Obviously, you have the initial expenses of mass producing carts, overlays, manuals and boxes. The only one that you can achieve economies of scale would be the carts (which can be used for multiple games) whereas you are projecting demand for the other items. Anyway you look at it is that the upfront costs are the mountain and, once you sell enough to get over the summit, then you have profit to reinvest in other games or to return to the programmers and owners of the company. But until you get to the summit, cash is always an issue.

Not knowing your situation (if you plan on incorporating, partnership or whatever) it's hard to give any advice. However, there are two ways that come to mind to help get to the summit more quickly.

1) A loan - probably not likely as I don't see any banks jumping into the Intellivision homebrew market and I doubt that the Games for your Intellivision folks have any urge to put their personal lives on the line to sign off for it.

2) Issuing stock or part ownership ...

The second is an interesting idea as you have a small, fanatical base that may be interested in owning a small portion of the company. I don't know if it's something that may be viable for your specific company, but I'm pretty sure that there are some people who would love to receive a nice shiny certificate as a "stock holder" in the company to frame on their wall. And, in the event that the company becomes profitable there are the possibilities for a "dividend" back to the shareholders.

Just food for thought from your local CPA representative :D

Classic Game Publishers, Inc. is a real company. It is incorporated in the province of Ontario in Canada.

Yes, you are right. That is why I started selling loose carts with manuals.

I was getting feedback that some people were not interested in the box. I figured that if we made the cost of the box and overlays plus cart and manual separately, the exact same cost as the CIB version, that people would want to buy the game first, just to play it, and buy the box later.

However, most people have held off buying the game until we deliver the box/overlays.....unfortunately, clearing the summit IS the problem.....and crashing into the mountain is the danger.

74 likes on the Classic Game Room review, and everyone waiting for the box.

However, most people have held off buying the game until we deliver the box/overlays.....unfortunately, clearing the summit IS the problem.....and crashing into the mountain is the danger.

74 likes on the Classic Game Room review, and everyone waiting for the box.

I must admit to being part of that problem (waiting for the box, that is). ;)

I did forget a third option ... pre-orders. In that case, you usually need to offer some discount or "extra" for accepting someone's money early ... a numbered copy of the game ... perhaps a copy signed by the game's author (or perhaps that's another money making idea altogether!)

Regardless, I truly hope to see your venture succeed!

Thanks....I have a feeling that the sale is creating a buzz in Europe where people usually don't want to pay the extra shipping. I have word getting around in France, Germany and Italy. I think we will be ok.......

I have found out that the box will probably be delivered on July 4th.....maybe earlier.....then the Overlays will go to print.....I can put the boxes together while the overlays are being printed :-)

Taking Pre-Orders is not the way my bank would like me to do business. I only accept money for product I have ready to ship.

Doing a stock offering might be cool....hahah.....I'll have to consider it.

I think you are right that there is a market, I believe strongly that there is as well.

I have had discussions previously with people on this board about doing exactly what you've done, which is launch a company geared towards bringing new Inty games to market.

I believed strongly there was a market for it, and I still do.

I think though that the reality of your core target market is that they are enthusiasts, and collectors.

As such, releases with box, manual and overlays are what is desirable.

I understand the challenges you face to get the venture rolling, and want to support it however I can.

What do you think of maybe setting up a project on kickstarter, just to hep out with some initial capital?

Borrowing from some of Fusheks idea, you could offer certain incentives to kickstarter contributors (Fushek mentioned a few possibilities, there are others) that would provide sufficient motivation for folks to donate.

Another benefit could be that amassing capital through kickstarter might allow you to fine tune your price point more quickly, perhaps creating more sales.

I can say the price point isn't an issue for me, but I realize that there may be some who want to support the project that may not have the means, and those are the people you may reach at an earlier stage.

I have several other ideas that may be of interest to potential kickstarter donors...if interested, we could discuss via PM.

At any rate, I wish you much success and will support your efforts where I can.

Edited by ghsqb

Thank you for your kind offer. I think that we will be alright however. I have enough backing to get this game to market, even if it does give my wife fits. However, I'd rather not pull my Ace out of the hole so to speak.

This has been a learning experience. And, we are learning a lot.

We may be small, but we are trying to bring a quality professional grade product to market. I think people will go 'wow' when they see our box. At least, that is what I have been promised......a game as good as Carl's deserves nothing less!

I'm also guilty of holding out for the full version. I think that I may max out at $65-75 for this game, though. I have to draw the line somewhere. I would definitely pay $75 if Carl signed it :-)

I will say that if it weren't for the $50 price tag on Intelligentvision 2011/2012 games, I probably wouldn't have bought all of them. With so many coming out this year, I may have to prioritize :-(

I would suggest a Kickstarter campaign to raise funds. What many projects do, especially software ones, is to offer rewards to investors that typically amount to a pre-order: a free copy of the game, along with some special access to collateral and pre-release material.

-dZ.