IGNORED

Adam Power adapter

raisinland

Just built an adapter for an Adam computer off ebay.

Wanting a efficient but cheap adapter I set about making one.I got a couple cheap 12v 1A switching supplies and a 5v 3A off ebay. A switching 5v inverting supply (TPS6735) off digikey and some parts from my local electronics shop and the below is the result. The small circuit board was built from the schematic in the inverting supply datasheet.

Benefits: Switching 5v and 12v supplies are cheap and plentiful. You can use them for other things if not using the Adam.

Drawbacks: taking up three outlets, one could get confused and plug 12v into the 5v jack.

I used two separate 12v supplies as the data drive and logic 12v lines need to be separate.

It works on games and the typing program loads but I haven't been able to try the data drive as I don't have a keyboard.

post-13652-0-79524200-1340415451_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the CV & ADAM Forum. It's great to hear from a new ADAMite and hope you have a lot of fun with your new retro-computer.

As far as your Power Supply Adapter, it looks and sounds like a lot of work and research went into it and I'm glad to hear that you got it all working... with the exception of testing the Digital Data Drives. Great job!

FYI, there is an AtariAge member that uses the name DJPUBBA that converts PC Power Supplies for use with the ADAM Computer. It's been a while since I have seen a post from him here or talked with him, but last I recall, he sells these ADAM P.S. for $40 shipped. He seems to use whatever he has on hand for his ADAM P.S., sometmes full size lke you find in a PC Desktop and other times slimline. I have had both versions (sold the slimline) and they worked great even with an ADAM that had a number of additional hardware items installed. BTW, he also has a website: www.arcadecollecting.com

post-25956-0-94869200-1340464243_thumb.jpg