IGNORED

Apple //e with "JcAir" rare card

Caterpiggle

Does anyone ever knew or know about this ultra-rare card "JcAir" that has strange output slot outside. It is on vertical level. I would take a picture if anyone ask me.

I did tried to find out on Internet sources. No luck for this specific card. It has the serial number "006". It is just 6th card ever made !

post-29380-0-09202900-1340424147_thumb.jpg

Yes, I know there is no Apple II card on ebay. I just pointing out that there does look to be other stuff from the same company. JcAir Instrumentation Inc. Which if you google it, you'll find the company status is "merged out of existance".. eg it was absorbed into some larger company... From what can be found through google it looks like they made test equipment possibly... which would suggest that the card is an interface for using the Apple II to monitor output from such test equipment.

My guess is it's probably rare..

Lots of companies made hardware in smaller batches for the Apple, and this sounds like it might be one..

Of course, rare would only imply that there aren't too many of them...

Doesn't have any bearing on value...

desiv

As others have stated, that's just a JcAir 429 adapter... it interfaces to a ASI-2000 mainframe for avionics instrumentation testing. There were many companies that produced similar interfaces for the same system. The only thing that makes this "rare" is that not many were produced and the company no longer exists. But, rare and collectible are two different things and there aren't many people that would collect it. Not saying it isn't a neat thing, but it is just more of a curiosity in an Apple collection than an anchor piece in a collection.

• Like 1

Yep, just another custom parallel* I/O port interface. If someone wanted to control some random I/O device from an Apple II, it wouldn't be too hard to figure out how to talk to it to get the outputs working.

It may be useful to someone doing hardware hacking with an Apple II, but as has been said before, it's not collectible.

*Note: parallel does not always mean "printer port", but with the right cable and driver code you probably could use this to talk to a printer.