IGNORED

4 boms on ST-Book, same on two machines.

Hello,

Can someone please help me? I've been trouble-shooting two ST-Books that have the same behaviour.

They show 4 bombs and don't react as they should to the power button.

With the supply connected, the power button is pushed and the led goes green. But Reset has to be pushed to get the machine to boot.

It can only be switched off by removing all power.

The HD-Motor does spinn.

Also, the battery on the MB is dead. So the RTC has no backup and the RAM is cleared as well.

Is there a special restart sequence?

BR/

Guus

Try bypassing the boot sequence by holding down control or alternate (the first to boot with hard disk access and the second to boot with no hard drive access). It may be a dodgy auto program. Alternatively it could be the motherboard battery, it doesn't have an effect in other Ataris with NVRAM (Falcon, TT, Mega ST(e)) but the ST Book is a special case, doesn't it have some extra programs on ROM to copy stuff via serial to other computers?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello and hi, i just registered here and so here is my little introduction. Im student with some electronics and old computer experience from Holland.

I recently got hold on an old ST Book wich functioned sometimes (20% of the time it booted, other times it failed). Nowadays it stopped functioning, it constantly gives 4 bombs.

I tried the reset methed, and even the 3Volt battery is removed (it was dead).

Now i dont know what else happend to the machine but from what i heard the data on the HDD might be corrupted. Also 8 DIP switches seem to be tampered with (damage on plastic).

You guys got any tips? I just love this machine simply because of the awesome hardware!

• 2 weeks later...

You guys need to read the comments on this YouTube video. There's an expert describing how to repair ST Books, and he goes into such detail that you KNOW he has experience. He goes by "simeon webber". Check it out:

He posted his e-mail address in one of the comments... sim@azurehalo.co.uk

I hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...