IGNORED

HSC Round 4.39: Super Zaxxon

Did no one at Sega play test this game before shipping it out to customers?

I heard Anakin Skywalker tested it and said it was A-OK.

Wow, this game is brutally difficult; makes Cosmic Avenger look like a walk in the park. On my first credit, I think my game lasted about 12 seconds from "player 1 start" to "game over". I can't even imagine what this must have been like to walk up to in an arcade, drop in some money, and get obliterated in a few seconds flat. I'm not sure how this game could have survived in arcades if a kid could blow his whole allowance in mere minutes.

Got through the first batch of those parade floats... or dragons... or whatever the fuck they're supposed to be.

post-27528-0-54898900-1340682173_thumb.jpg

I just had a game where I was under 10,000 points on my last life, crashed into my 20th plane, died, got the 2000 bonus, took me over 10,000, got the extra life, and then kept going...

Ah yes, the kamikaze method :grin:

I declared war on this game yesterday, I just kept resetting and playing over and over and finally after 174 credits I made it through the dragons and back to the start again.

post-27306-0-54859100-1340868426_thumb.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit: Doing much better tonight 25,850 almost got back to the dragons for the second time in the one game. Dare I say it, I think this game is growing on me...

post-27306-0-03382000-1340870189_thumb.png

Edited by kane

This has been my first experience with the game, and yes, it's a little crazy how quickly you can die in it. It scrolls faster than I'd expected. I think the enemy hitboxes are a little too small, too, smaller than your own. Also, I dislike the tunnel's random enemy spawning, which kind of makes survival a crapshoot, especially given those enemy hitbox sizes. My best, after about an hour of frustrating tries (switching early on from the keyboard to my RumblePad got me past 10K, finally): 17,100. I made it past a few of the walls beyond the tunnel.

onmode-ky

post-8302-0-10873400-1340986980_thumb.jpg

Viewpoint on Neo Geo. (I think there may be another here too.)

There's a Zaxxon sequel on 32X.

Haven't played either of them. Saw Viewpoint being played in a gameshop once.

There's an NES game that has a quasi-isometric vertical scroll (not diagonal scroll) style.