IGNORED

Sega Genesis Rarity List?

jhd

Just today I found a modest pile of Sega Genesis carts in a thrift I visit rather infrequently.

I have no desire to start collecting for this system, but I'm not adverse to making some money :-) Are there are any especially rare or desirable carts I should look for? I understand that sports games are rather common.

For some reason, I have seen way more Genesis than NES consoles in the last year. One local shop has like 4-5 Genesis (bare consoles, of course) for sale.

Just today I found a modest pile of Sega Genesis carts in a thrift I visit rather infrequently.

I have no desire to start collecting for this system, but I'm not adverse to making some money :-) Are there are any especially rare or desirable carts I should look for? I understand that sports games are rather common.

Do yourself a favor and get the Digital Press Guide. It is well worth the $25. It will come in handy time and again. Besides that, it's great reading. You need it if you are searching for old games.

For some reason, I have seen way more Genesis than NES consoles in the last year. One local shop has like 4-5 Genesis (bare consoles, of course) for sale.

Loose carts, or boxed games? I've come to detest loose Genesis but I will take any boxed game if the price is right ($5 or less) and it's complete with the manual, sometimes even if it's not. Beware of sports games though, they are exceedingly common. At one store in Michigan I bought five random sports titles for Genesis CIB for $3, and the guy actually offered to give me five more FOR FREE just to get rid of them - but they were all duplicates of the ones I already had so I said no. :D

If you ever find Toe Jam & Earl (not Toe Jam & Earl: Panic on Funkotron) at a thrift BUY it, it sells for $30+ all the time on eBay. Any of the Phantasy Star games are good too. If you are looking for a Sega Genesis rarity guide, Digital Press has one you can download for free in PDF format. just go to www.digitpress.com/index2.htm and clcik on Rarity Lists. If you collect classic video games, the Digital Press collectors guide is well worth the $25 (even though it doesn't have Genesis games in it)

If you ever find Toe Jam & Earl (not Toe Jam & Earl: Panic on Funkotron) at a thrift BUY it, it sells for $30+ all the time on eBay. Any of the Phantasy Star games are good too. If you are looking for a Sega Genesis rarity guide, Digital Press has one you can download for free in PDF format. just go to www.digitpress.com/index2.htm and clcik on Rarity Lists. If you collect classic video games, the Digital Press collectors guide is well worth the $25 (even though it doesn't have Genesis games in it)

The Video Game Bible, however, does.

If you are looking for a Sega Genesis rarity guide, Digital Press has one you can download for free in PDF format. just go to www.digitpress.com/index2.htm and clcik on Rarity Lists.

Um...

Not trying to offend anyone here, but this rarity guide is extremely poor. Glancing at it really makes me question who came up with the prices, and if they did much research.

Pirates! Gold is listed as a $25.00 game. It sells on eBay regularly for over $65.00.

Double Dragon V is listed as a $25.00 game. It can be found at your area GameStop for $8.00 last I checked. It is not nearly as rare as Pirates! Gold is.

Sonic 3 is listed as being worth $3.00. Sonic 3 regularly sells from the GOAT Store at $10.00 for a copy with no box or instructions.

There is simply so much stuff wrong with it that I can't even begin to explain it all. I also peeked at their Dreamcast list, being a pretty darn big DC collector... Show me a place where I can get Death Crimson OX, Centipede, Quake III Arena or others for $3.00! And Bangai-O being rarer than Gigawing 2 or Aerowings 2? Please!

Glancing at the Jaguar, even more glaring problems exist. Iron Soldier 2 CD is only worth $15.00, while World Tour Racing is worth $50.00+?!? Defender 2000 is only worth $10.00?!? The 2 MB version of Cybermorph is worth $15.00? Blue Lightning is worth $7.00? If so, grab that auction on eBay for 75 or 100 copies for $59.00! You'll have hit the jackpot.

Yeesh.

the easy rule of thumb for gen. games

if its any sort of RPG, especially part 2 or 3 or 4... buy it

sports or sonic, pass

fighting or racing- worth $5

disney, board game, TV series based $3

game you've never heard of that doesnt fit into above lists- $10 at best

wont work in all cases but its fair to say that the collecting market for gen games is not really established yet and aside from a few rpgs the games are worth less that $15 loose. for whatever its worth i think that funco/gamestops pricing is right on the money. DP does a good job but a lot of it is up the editor of the section, their own biases and research, trust me- i'm writing the DP guide to handhelds right now and its pretty hard to detemine a value for every game that will suit everyone.

@jhd: One thing to consider is that Genesis collectors almost always want the box so if they're loose you're going to have a much harder time getting rid of them.

@goatdan: I'm not associated with the sections you mentioned but I can understand where you're coming from. Yes, the online guides need a lot of work and that's why they're free. I'd like to address some of your comments, and hopefully I can help clear some things up for you.

Pirates! Gold is listed as a $25.00 game. It sells on eBay regularly for over $65.00.

EBay prices are not a good guideline as they change constantly and are subject to all sorts of factors irrelevant to the game (time of listing, picture, etc.) Digital Press strives to provide collector's prices, i.e. the price you can expect when dealing one on one with another collector. Just for the record, I got mine complete from Gamestop for under $10 (though I realise I was lucky to find it there.)

Double Dragon V is listed as a $25.00 game. It can be found at your area GameStop for $8.00 last I checked. It is not nearly as rare as Pirates! Gold is.

I don't claim to be an expert on Genesis games, but you're probably right here. One thing that might make a difference is that the Genesis prices assume that the box is included, while Gamestop typically throws them away.

Sonic 3 is listed as being worth $3.00. Sonic 3 regularly sells from the GOAT Store at $10.00 for a copy with no box or instructions.

I can only assume that this is because you are a reputable store and people are willing to pay for the reliability you provide. However, I know that I could get this any weekend at a thrift or flea market for under $5, complete or not.

Your comments are always welcome at the Digital Press Collectors Guide forum:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Sorry you think the lists are poor! We work really hard at keeping them up to collector standards.

We do NOT use eBay as a tool for establishing scarcity, unless a title is all over the place online but nowhere to be found in the wild.

The Genny list as well as all the others are based on a large panel of collectors' input. If you'd like to be part of that panel and have expertise in buying/trading/selling for a particular system, please let me know! We can never have TOO MANY solid opinions.

Another thing, I really need a mechanism to update the online lists regularly; rarities on things like Dreamcast and PSX change on a regular basis.

Anyway, I do appreciate the feedback and look forward to more.

Ok, since my idea was labeled as "extremely poor", can anyone point us to a FREE Genesis Rarity guide?

I love Genesis games and I would be glad to see a FREE guide that isn't "extremely poor".

I thought I had seen another Rarity Guide online somewhere but I can't find it in my bookmarks.

Sorry you think the lists are poor! We work really hard at keeping them up to collector standards.

We do NOT use eBay as a tool for establishing scarcity' date=' unless a title is all over the place online but nowhere to be found in the wild.[/quote']

While eBay is definitely not my favorite place in the world, and prices can fluctuate madly within the period of a few weeks, I think that the overall prices eventually show what the real market is and eBay is a valuable tool to modern day collectors. If nothing else, it's prices could be the "high-end" prices for games.

The Genny list as well as all the others are based on a large panel of collectors' input. If you'd like to be part of that panel and have expertise in buying/trading/selling for a particular system, please let me know! We can never have TOO MANY solid opinions.

Not trying to be offensive, but out of curiosity, are the the collectors who make up this panel people who regularly trade, or people who do little trading? The reason I ask is that often times rarity lists can be skewed by the fact that a collector wishes that a certain game is worth more because he or she already has it, or is worth less because he or she doesn't have it yet and wants to get it for a good price.

While I would love to help, I'm overly strapped right now between 18 credits of school, planning for a marriage, planning for the Midwest Classic and two jobs (one full time). :|

Has there been any thought to doing a price guide in a format along the same lines as the Scrye CCG price guide/magazine?

Granted, it is harder to do it since you can't rely solely on stores for information, but at least by having a low/median/high range you give people a better idea of real world prices.

It's just a thought. :)

Not trying to be offensive, but out of curiosity, are the the collectors who make up this panel people who regularly trade, or people who do little trading?  The reason I ask is that often times rarity lists can be skewed by the fact that a collector wishes that a certain game is worth more because he or she already has it, or is worth less because he or she doesn't have it yet and wants to get it for a good price.

While I would love to help, I'm overly strapped right now between 18 credits of school, planning for a marriage, planning for the Midwest Classic and two jobs (one full time).  :|

Like I said, I do appreciate the feedback. The Double Dragon issue, for example, was an error where V and the original (the one that came in the cardboard box) were switched. As for the Genesis people involved, these are heavy collectors, though none of them are Goat Store visitors. You may know or have heard of Snorter from genesiscollective.com; I have all but 40 Genesis titles complete; and there are at least 8 other Genny collectors. It's a big list and an ambitious project but with assistance from people who understand their collections and "fair price between collectors", we'll have it all nailed down.

Again, thanks for pointing out some glaring errors!

the easy rule of thumb for gen. games

if its any sort of RPG, especially part 2 or 3 or 4... buy it

None that I saw.

sports or sonic, pass

That's about what I thought.

fighting or racing- worth $5

disney, board game, TV series based $3

Or, just about what I would pay for them retail. :(

Thanks, everybody, for the feedback!

If anybody in the Edmonton-area is interested, please PM me for store location and details. There was apparently nothing rare, but all games were boxed.