IGNORED

Work In Progress: "Bentley Bear: Crystal Quest"

PacManPlus

Thanks, Guys :)

Things left:

- (Hopefully cool) Ending

- Sound

- Setting for joystick 'up' for jump and button for run/fire (so people can use the CX-40 sticks)

- Audible (visual?) signal for when the invincibility is wearing off

LOL at the.golden.ax's avitar! :lol:

• Like 2

I think anim 3 looks good but maybe have the ear moving or something similarly subtle.

The original animation does look somewhat funny - kinda like he's crapped his pants and trying to shuffle quickly out of the room without any leakage.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 2

Thanks guys :)

Side note - I'm going to be working on my Serial MIDI -> Pokey Data application so I can do the music and have it create the Pokey data for me.

That being said, does anyone have an accurate 8-Bit AUDF -> Note table that I can use? (I'm using 8-bit because I will need all four channels - two for sound effects, and two for music).

Something like: $0F = G# (I'm just making up numbers for an example)

I did some searching, but there were tables with columns I didn't understand, or different values, etc. I was hoping for something someone already used and knows it works.

Random Terrain has a *wonderful* table for the TIA (that I will be referencing when building my app) on his webpage. Thanks RT!

• Like 1

These were completed:

- Setting for joystick 'up' for jump and button for run/fire (so people can use the CX-40 sticks). Set with the left difficulty switch. When using the CX-40 or equivalent, the right difficulty switch has no function. When using the ProLines or equivalent, the right difficulty switch swaps the 'A' and 'B' buttons.

- Visual signal for when the invincibility is wearing off (the hat blinks just before you lose it).

That leaves the ending and sound. I'm going to attempt to write the Pokey translation app over the next week or two.

• Like 5

BERTHILDA'S BACK!

After defeating her within her Crystal Castle realm, she vowed to get her revenge on Bentley. After nearly 30 years of planning and scheming, she was able to steal the five 'Crystals Of Life' that kept the balance of good and evil in check. Now it is up to Bentley to retrieve those jewels and restore the balance of power to the world. Berthilda has hidden all five Crystals in separate parts of the world and guards them fiercely. As Bentley you will run into many of your old foes from the Castle days... as well as some new ones. Navigate unforgiving terrain from at least 5 different environments in your relentless Quest to find the Crystals and defeat Berthilda once and for all.

- One Player

- Explore over 40 worlds!

- Start with three attempts, additional attempts awared every 50,000 points

- Continue option... but use it wisely!

- Compatible with ProLines or original CX-40 joysticks

- Hidden surprises!

Does this sound ok as a description? :ponder:

There will be a label contest. I still wish there was a new board that could handle 144K games. I've tried contacting the one or two people that made such a board, but they don't seem to be interested in making more. :(

Bob

• Like 4

Since you asked... I don't like the way this reads "Navigate unforgiving terrain from at least 5 different environments in your relentless". The At least part bugs me.

Maybe something like "Explore 5 different lands in your relentless quest..." or "Explore dark caverns, icy mountains, etc." Whatever the environments are.

But that is just me being picky.

I can't wait for this game to come out!

I still wish there was a new board that could handle 144K games. I've tried contacting the one or two people that made such a board, but they don't seem to be interested in making more. :(

Bob

Wasn't there a way to use something else with a 512k chip and some trickery. I may be talking out my asterix but I recall someone saying that back when they were making serious and plutos (and there is some demand for those still... so it would behoove those people at any rate, even to just make the information available to others)

I still wish there was a new board that could handle 144K games. I've tried contacting the one or two people that made such a board, but they don't seem to be interested in making more. :(

Bob

Wasn't there a way to use something else with a 512k chip and some trickery. I may be talking out my asterix but I recall someone saying that back when they were making serious and plutos (and there is some demand for those still... so it would behoove those people at any rate, even to just make the information available to others)

This maybe: http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/62910-cc2-3f512k/?do=findComment&comment=772921

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that a Jinks board (with some modification) will run up to a 512K game. I don't want to start making a bunch of modifications to each board - especially when a newly made board that can handle a 144K game already exists.

• Like 1

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that a Jinks board (with some modification) will run up to a 512K game. I don't want to start making a bunch of modifications to each board - especially when a newly made board that can handle a 144K game already exists.

Got it, missed that. But even if a run of those boards needed to be made, certainly someone would give you the files to have them done. They are of use in other projects so I can see community support for another run.

Update: Ran into a bit of a snag, as I started writing the C# app to play the notes, and I find that triggering MIDI through C# has a bit of a delay between calling the routine and playing the note. Unfortunately this makes it unusable. :( That leaves me wondering if there's a Pokey emulator in C# so I can just have it play exactly what you would hear while converting the data (makes it easier to create music that way).

I will do some searching, but if any of you guys know of one already, it would speed things up. :)

Thanks,

Bob

Update: Ran into a bit of a snag, as I started writing the C# app to play the notes, and I find that triggering MIDI through C# has a bit of a delay between calling the routine and playing the note. Unfortunately this makes it unusable. :( That leaves me wondering if there's a Pokey emulator in C# so I can just have it play exactly what you would hear while converting the data (makes it easier to create music that way).

I will do some searching, but if any of you guys know of one already, it would speed things up. :)

Thanks,

Bob

If you're in such a hurry, you could lower a rope, or a tree branch, or find something useful to do. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIc96jVFdDY

• Like 2

Thanks,

Bob

How hard is it to convert or just use the C version from mame?

http://mamedev.org/source/src/emu/sound/pokey.c.html

The guy who wrote A.S.A.P. has released the source for his pokey emulator. However I don't think it is in C#...

The guy who wrote A.S.A.P. has released the source for his pokey emulator. However I don't think it is in C#...

So its in G minor?