IGNORED

Interest check for cart only Homebrew releases

Yurkie

I was wondering if there would be interest in Cart only Homebrew releases. I am thinking of offering cart only releases if there is programmer/customer interest.

It would be reusing Coleco Industried common carts that where in good condition with poor condition labels. New PCB with EPROM.

Cost would be something like this

$16.50 for assembled cart with label + $10 royalty for programmer per copy + $5 or less shipped in either a small box or padded envelope.

So it would be around $31.50 shipped to the USA. There are a number of people that I am sure would offer boxes and manuals.

There would be a "goes on sale date", most likely a Tuesday like books and movies do. There would be no pre-order. It would be pay and it ships within a couple days.

If your an interested programmer send me a PM or post your interest here. If your an interested potential customer please leave a comment on the thread.

Edited by Yurkie
  • Like 1

I think this would be a wonderful service to offer, especially for those that missed out on releases that can no longer be easily bought and who also like to own physical carts of the games. Seeing as I already own a large collection of Homebrew releases, my needs and wants would be considerably limited, but I am still interested nonetheless... especially at the very respectable prices you have listed.

As I've mentioned to you previously, I still think you should consider offering the same service (or at least asking on here what kind of interest there may be) for the unreleased/prototype games such as PowerLords, Moon Patrol, Super DK, Dig Dug (I know it's not your favorite version), etc., etc. There's a nice lineup of games and if someone offered professinal quality boxes for these as well... I'm sure interest would be quite good.

Edited by NIAD

This makes me think that you're offering this service something like two years too early, Todd. :P

I'm saying this because, if all goes well, BasicVision will become available by early 2014, and some people may want to try making their own games with it. A portion of those people may want to put their finished work on actual carts.

So I'm just hoping you'll still be offering this service by then. :)

Edited by Pixelboy

I too would be very interested in buying the games. However, the quality of the games would need to be high to not disappoint. For the most part, the recent and upcoming homebrew releases are setting the bar very high.

Could I also suggest that instructions at least be included with the games, e.g. just a printed word document. Then at least a third party produced manual could be based on accurate source material.

Any kind of printed material would be between the programmer and the printer. I don't want the hassle of messing with printed material. I should be pretty easy to get someone to ship a box and manual for $20, and the customer would be at just over $50 for a CIB title. I would be happy to assist a programmer with getting boxes/manuals made by someone.

I think the CIB publishing thing is too much of a PITA, and why things take so long to happen. I see no reason with cart only, that a finished game can't ship within a month of completion.

I am also very intrested, would Canadians be able get in on the action?

Worldwide via first class International. Nobody would be left out. Just need a programmer with a new homebrew title to step forward and show interest. I don't want nor will I accept to publish any of the currently announced games.

I have at least 200 carts I can use for homebrews. I think your asking if i will purchase carts to use. If that is your question I was thinking I would offer like $2 or $3 shipped. This would be a good deal if someone sent 10 or more. I am however not looking to buy any currently.

I have one title in mind. But I need an interested programmer. I really don't want to build a lot of hype I would rather announce an up coming game when it is finished and beta tested and then annouce a date for accepting payments and a ship date. I would like there to be only about a month between the announcement of the game being released and the time people have the cart in hand.

• Like 1