IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

On 11/26/2023 at 4:23 PM, Stephen said:

Thanks to you guys, I tried a "gold" image - I think it turned out OK.  Had a few more to try yesterday but fell asleep before starting one.

Keeping the theme going, here's his lower class brother, the Silver Mandalorian.

Stephen_MandalorianSilver2Progress.thumb.jpg.9cda904d8178bd9916b159b8f9e5ca39.jpg

Stephen_MandalorianSilver2.thumb.png.31edd404ab099894dd92bae4f9888af1.png

Stephen_MandalorianSilver2.xex

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

I been wanting to do that. ;)

:)

It's dead easy. I mentioned how to do it in a post in this thread last month somewhere. 

With your conversions I'd love to know generally which rc settings, pre-prep, techniques and tried and tested methods you are using. :)

Some fantastic conversions as usual, well done. I'd love to have a crack at some of yours myself sometime if I can get the source images. 

6 minutes ago, Beeblebrox said:

:)

It's dead easy. I mentioned how to do it in a post in this thread last month somewhere. 

With your conversions I'd love to know generally which rc settings, pre-prep, techniques and tried and tested methods you are using. :)

Some fantastic conversions as usual, well done. I'd love to have a crack at some of yours myself sometime if I can get the source images. 

I'd love to have a crack at some of yours myself sometime if I can get the source images.  Not a problem any one just let me know I would be happy even posting to sources :)   Let me know.

26 minutes ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Beeblebrox  I have been trying to get a good conversion of this image, I tried 3 times and failed. I think it would be a good image to have for the 8bit  is it worth it or should I abort?  

output.png-dst.png

wonderlandg.png

Let me know exactly what you are doing here in terms of preprocessing the initial source image. For example are you reducing the size of the image to 320x240, reducing color depth to 128 colours, (or at least 256), boosting contrast? Are you also then using masks, dithering, etc? 

Without seeing how your initial conversions are failing I can't really comment, so perhaps post some images of the failed ones. 

I'd say if I was converting this I'd approach it in this way:

Resize to 320x240

Drip to 256 colour depth. Why 256 when rc can only handle up to 128 colours? Well there is a reason for this. I find with portraits and skin tones that if you drop to 128colours the source image skins tones are too rough from the outset. Better start at 256 as the initial source 

Next ramp up the contrast in your image editor. Not too much. If brightness and saturation need boosting do it now in preprocessing. 

The do a nibble mask. 

In rc run it with the mask at 10, with altirra pallete, box, yuu/yuv, smart, 25000 sols, dither (floyd, random) and ramp up the contrast again in the rc GUI. Play around with settings and preview until you are happy with the predicted result. Run the rc for a few seconds and end it. Take the destination image it has created and make that the source. Preview and tweak the rc setting for contrast and dither until you are happy with the preview. Then run the final conversion. 

The source image has has a lot of background colours which is likely (I am guessing), making the image bias to mostly one particular colour hue. So it might be worth trying to minimise the background in either preprocessing or employ a more focused traditional mask. Try a nibble mask first though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

I got 5 in the works now 2 of them gave me some problem while converting, I work them all out they where facial dithing errors  when there done I'll give it another go.  The destination Image looks great.

The RC GUI destination Image will always look great but it's a rough estimate of what you might come close to but never a guarantee and never what you end up getting. The main thing aside all the bits I mention above, is ideally for images with a lot of colours, reduce the colour depth of the source image and always resize to 320x240 (or 320x200). 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Beeblebrox  I have been trying to get a good conversion of this image, I tried 3 times and failed. I think it would be a good image to have for the 8bit  is it worth it or should I abort?  If you want to give this a shot go right ahead.

output.png-dst.png

wonderlandg.png

Will have a go converting this one later this week/weekend. Thanks. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Atari8man2004 said:

Rama  looks awesome on a CRT not so great on a LCD

It will always be this way.  I don't care what filter, what revision of RetroTink style device, some new AI, etc.  Nothing beats a real CRT for these old 70s machines.

• Like 4