IGNORED

Images generated by RastaConverter

Philsan

Good points from both of you, but this is an blatantly obvious mistake that has to do with Forbidden Planet itself, not about shadows and shading. I won't keep people guessing though. The Forbidden Planet had a atmosphere that refracted light into the green spectrum, not the blue. Like the first Forbidden Planet image I did months ago. Where's the green sky???

Good points from both of you, but this is an blatantly obvious mistake that has to do with Forbidden Planet itself, not about shadows and shading. I won't keep people guessing though. The Forbidden Planet had a atmosphere that refracted light into the green spectrum, not the blue. Like the first Forbidden Planet image I did months ago. Where's the green sky???

I never thought the sky was green. It always looked grey/cyan to me.

I never thought the sky was green. It always looked grey/cyan to me.

Maybe you've seen an old version that hasn't been remastered, with poor color or something, it of course fades at the horizon (color) so maybe there were scenes that it didn't look so green or what ever,maybe not, it's been a couple years since I've seen it myself. But none the less, it is even specifically mentioned by members of the crew when they first land and are setting up camp. And they show the sky in the movie at that point and it looks green to me. The author took the time to actually write the sky as green (ish) though, so any paintings true to the story should have the a green (ish) sky for the planet Altair IV.

I was looking at some movie images and it's sort of a green-blue-greyish color, but at least one one of the characters in the movie refer to it as 'green." And I would call it, in colloquial English, "green" myself, judging by the color in the movie and the movie screen-shots I've just looked at to refresh my memory.

Edited by Gunstar

Maybe you've seen an old version that hasn't been remastered, with poor color or something, it of course fades at the horizon (color) so maybe there were scenes that it didn't look so green or what ever, it's been a couple years since I've seen it myself. But none the less, it is even specifically mentioned by members of the crew when they first land and are setting up camp. And they show the sky in the movie at that point and it looks green to me. The author took the time to actually write the sky as green though.

I believe it goes something like this, "look at that sky!", "...yes, but I'll still take blue", "I don't know. I could get used to this."

Best I can do at quoting.

All I have is a very early released DVD.

• Like 1

I do agree that that batch of pics done - are not in the category of the best examples - but are passable. That the program was able to produce results that are of acceptable? quality from such source material is a testimony of how good RasterConverter is - at having a go at it...

Harvey

• Like 2

Exactly why I posted both. As you know, I rarely post dithered pictures because most of the time I feel they are not as good, But I always try dithered, if I'm not 100% satisfied with non-dithered, because every once in a while a picture may be comparable or better with dithering. There are a few dithered pictures I've posted, some you can hardly tell, because I had dithering on very light amounts, but it sometimes helps to bring out colors that non-dither just won't pick up on.

Edited by Gunstar

• 2 weeks later...

Templar leading the charge. 28 colors. Dithered 32 colors. The lines at the bottom are not an error, they are small text on the original image. I just decided not to care instead of cropping.

TemplarLeadingcharge.xex

TemplarLeadingCharge1db.xex

post-149-0-23685300-1506268487.png

post-149-0-44907200-1506268495.png

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

Been a while since I did a conversion. I did the editing & pre-processing in Photoshop. Cropped and centered the image, made it 320X240, removed some of the "fly away" hair which I knew would not convert well. I then converted the image to indexed 8-bit and applied 75% diffusion. I turned up the saturation 60%. When running RastaConvertor, I left option standard and just used YUV colourspace.

Rasta crashed so I didn't get to see the # of evaluations. The distance was about 10.5.

post-650-0-91340000-1506433239.png

scarlette.xex

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Andromeda. 41 colors.

Enterprise. 34 colors.

Nebulon Frigate. 57 colors.

Eagle Transporter. 33 colors.

EDIT: I just deleted and reposted another version of Enterprise as the dreaded "line error" showed up on the first one posted when I was enjoying it on my real Atari. This one below is about 10 million evaluations sooner, hardly any changes anyway.

post-149-0-08344100-1507143119.png

Andromeda1.xex

post-149-0-49894500-1507143192.png

NebulonFrigate3.xex

post-149-0-75968600-1507144880.png

EagleTransporter1b.xex

Enterprise4a.xex

post-149-0-70960600-1507145384.png

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 9

Wow! Can't decide if I like Andromeda or Enterprise better.

What? No love for space ships unless they are fleet flagships? I seem to remember the Enterprise being called a garbage scow once... ;)

• Like 2

Rybags is right. This conversion looks OK in just 120 million evaluations but without the ability to portray the eyes the story of the picture is missing.

attachicon.gifwolves.jpg.jpg

attachicon.gifwolves_screenshot.png

Is the final image untouchable? You may be making the logical case for post-processing touch-up. Given the image after processing, a quick edit that reinstates the eyes could win back that "spark".

Edited by pixelmischief
  • Like 2

Well, haha, I meant the image conversions. I'm kind of a Millennium Falcon guy anyhow.

post-24652-0-73566300-1507215611.gif

Did this a few years ago on G2F, can't remember now if I posted it or not. I did a Star Trek one too, but can't find it now. Rastaconverter kind of killed off my enthusiasm for doing these pics!

Falcon.xex

• Like 13