IGNORED

Mega Everdrive

Yurkie

Does anyone have this new multi-cart?

I absolutely love the idea of the "save state" feature listed in the feature here on the stoneage gamer site.

http://stoneagegamer.com/mega_everdrive_board_only.aspx

Does anyone here have one of these yet? How many games can you use the "save state" feature on...by this I mean can you have say 12 games that your trying to play all the way through and use the "save state" feature for all 12?

I disagree that save states are for emulators. I think it is about time that a multi-cart have this functionallity. I wish all sytem multi-carts would be re-released with save state functionality.

• Like 1

I disagree that save states are for emulators. I think it is about time that a multi-cart have this functionallity. I wish all sytem multi-carts would be re-released with save state functionality.

Agreed. Some old games are so tough that savestates are the only way to get through them without months of practice.

• Like 2

I don't like save states, they ruin Action games in particular. These games were designed from start to finish to be played through repeatedly, not just once. I can't stand what modern gaming has done to the perception of hard-core gaming. I have the original Everdrive and am more than happy with sampling games using it.

Pretty simple, if you don't like them or are against save states then don't use them however OPTIONS ARE A GOOD THING, does not hurt to have it there for people who would like to use them from time to time, many of us don't have all day to spend playing games just to die a split second from the end of a level and start from the beginning for the twentieth time.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

Does anyone have this new multi-cart?

I absolutely love the idea of the "save state" feature listed in the feature here on the stoneage gamer site.

http://stoneagegamer...board_only.aspx

Does anyone here have one of these yet? How many games can you use the "save state" feature on...by this I mean can you have say 12 games that your trying to play all the way through and use the "save state" feature for all 12?

Save States can work on multiple games at one time. If I game is loaded that has a Save State associated you can hit Down + Start which brings up in-game menu and then load the last save state. Newest OS even allows you to preview where the save state is at without actually loading the game.

Some games will not work with in-game menu enabled or some may work buggy. This feature can be disabled in Options menu. The major issue with save states from my experience is sound. A lot of time when loaded a save state the sound may not work until you enter a new area where the sound loop changes. This is because it can't save the actual position of the soundtrack loop.

Some games don't work right with it. Its an experimental feature. Compatibility may get better as time goes on with new updates. Most games I have tried it on work though.

The nicest feature of the Mega EverDrive over the EverDrive-MD IMO though is instant loading of games.

Pretty simple, if you don't like them or are against save states then don't use them however OPTIONS ARE A GOOD THING, does not hurt to have it there for people who would like to use them from time to time, many of us don't have all day to spend playing games just to die a split second from the end of a level and start from the beginning for the twentieth time.

It often perplexes me why people get upset about features that are completely optional. In this case not only can you just not use the save states, but you can disable the in-game menu altogether.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I just received my Mega Everdrive, and modified the 6-Pack game case for it (it has screws that I had a bit for, not the 'nut' screws that Genesis games have).

You do have to drill a hole for the pushbutton switch, and scrape a corner to fit the USB connector. If you want to use the full-size SD cards, you need to cut a rectangle in the top as well.

I love it!

Do yourself a favor and turn OFF the in-game menu and MegaKey thing. Just set them to OFF. I couldn't get so many games to run that I thought I had a bad Genesis or a broken Mega Everdrive.

The menu settings let you select a region, and I was able to run Japanese games without a hardware mod to my Console.

My console is modified to S-Video and overclocked to 10.0 MHz / or Built-In MHz. I had no problems running Mega Everdrive with the 10.0 MHz setting. Bonus! I also have the Model 1 with the superior stereo sound, but supposedly crappier non-Motorola 68000, however it overclocks with no issues.

The TFC music file format sounds amazing, but I could only find a single file. (Remove the .txt extension)unbeliev.tfc.txt

Anyone have ones to trade?

I could not find any GYM music files, and a tip about renaming TGZ files to .rar and expanding did not work. (Edit: I guess I mean .VGZ files)

I could not find any GYM music files, and a tip about renaming TGZ files to .rar and expanding did not work.

TGZ isn't RAR... it's a g-zipped TAR file. Just use a decent unarchiver, like 7-Zip or Winrar or something.

Anyways, I assume you mean .VGZ files, which the filename would suggest is a renamed Zip file, not Rar. And finally, look for GYM files here.

Edited by Rex Dart

Do yourself a favor and turn OFF the in-game menu and MegaKey thing. Just set them to OFF. I couldn't get so many games to run that I thought I had a bad Genesis or a broken Mega Everdrive.

Bad advice. First you have modded system. Modded systems are not supported and could actually have been your issue. Lastly there is a version of the Genesis that actually does something weird and causes the MEGAKEY to not work, however it works on most of them just fine. It also be because your system is modded.

Honestly I had very few issues with games and keeping the in-game menu on, but in some cases some games will not work correctly or at all with it on. I told him I think he should add auto switching for this feature. You should be able to save what configuration you want the MEGAKEY and in-game menu to be set to for a certain rom. That way you don't have to turn things on and off it just does it automatically.

For those you want to take advantage of save states, you can't do this without the in-game menu enabled.

Bad advice. First you have modded system. Modded systems are not supported and could actually have been your issue. Lastly there is a version of the Genesis that actually does something weird and causes the MEGAKEY to not work, however it works on most of them just fine. It also be because your system is modded.

Honestly I had very few issues with games and keeping the in-game menu on, but in some cases some games will not work correctly or at all with it on. I told him I think he should add auto switching for this feature. You should be able to save what configuration you want the MEGAKEY and in-game menu to be set to for a certain rom. That way you don't have to turn things on and off it just does it automatically.

For those you want to take advantage of save states, you can't do this without the in-game menu enabled.

Okay, maybe bad advice, but why I recommended that is because even though my system is modified, it can be switched back to the built in ~7MHz clock, which is how I started out with the Mega Everdrive. Every ROM went to a black screen.

Once I turned all those settings off, every game ran.

Then I tried enabling the in-game menu. And after that worked okay, I tried the overclock setting (unsupported - I know) just reporting that I had success running at 10MHz.

I don't even know what a MegaKey is or does.

I also wanted to say that I ran a Japanese game by setting the Japanese Region in the Options, I didn't know you could change regions with the Mega Everdrive without a hardware switch.

• 4 weeks later...

I had determined my list of games for the Genesis I still wanted to get, and priced them. The total looked like it was coming out to be over $200. I figured I might as well go ahead and buy a MegaEverdrive. I went to the site and... the Deluxe Mega Everdrive is out of stock. :(

Since StoneAgeGamer posts regularly here and I don't feel like registering elsewhere right now, is there any idea when or if the Deluxe Mega Everdrive will be in stock again?

I determined the list of cars for the Road I still wanted to get, and priced them. The total looked it was coming out to be over $200,000. I figured I might as well go ahead and buy a Mega Lockpick. I went to the site and.. The Deluxe Mega Lockpick man is in the stockade. :(

Edited by theloon
  • Like 1

I never used the everdrive so I can't compare but the Mega Everdrive is awesome for most reasons stated above. I will say in regards to the in game menu; I've only ever had problems with most EA games everything else has been just peachy. Not sure why they have a problem though.